• Total voters

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Hey electric porkers,

Doing a quick poll on whether to test drive the car that's already paid in full before estimated pickup in 1-2 weeks' time.

A little context: I did not hold a Chinese driver's license so during the time of choosing a vehicle, I was not able to actually test drive any cars, though we sat in Taycans as passengers. I recently passed the notoriously translated English theory exam (on my first try nonetheless) and can now legally drive after 7 years here! Any foreigners/ex-pats in China trying to get past the exam, let me know. There's a great app that helped my studies. Overall took about 8-10 hours of doing mock questions. 100 questions, 45 minutes, 90% to pass.

I have not owned a car in a decade and my wife (then girlfriend) and I have relied on taxi-hailing apps for most of that time. I have never driven in Mainland China and driving an EV, albeit a Taycan, feels a bit daunting despite the advancements in navigation made in recent years.

Should I test drive the electric porker or just pop the cherry on delivery day?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
What would be the point - you're committed already, right?
Yep, fully committed. Probably another excuse to go to the Porsche dealer ha.

Realistically, driving in a new country with different etiquettes is still quite daunting.

Jokingly, my wife recommends that we go test drive a 992 with no near-term intention of buying one in a few months, which is a blasting awesome idea.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6348

Enjoy your Taycan! Be safe on Chinese roads. It’s not an easy place to drive a car.

Accident rates in China are high. As you are probably aware, in some provinces, you can even get jail time for not wearing a seatbelt. Take care and have fun!

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
Having spent a good amount of time in China, the idea of driving on their roads fills me with dread!
I hope you have comprehensive insurance and rubber bumpers fitted around your car :)
加油!

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Hey electric porkers,

Doing a quick poll on whether to test drive the car that's already paid in full before estimated pickup in 1-2 weeks' time.

A little context: I did not hold a Chinese driver's license so during the time of choosing a vehicle, I was not able...
I prefer the title: "electric cygnet".

Just so you know going forward.

In your situation, I would hire anything, even a Toyota Prius just to get some driving time and build up road confidence.

Even cycling on the roads is a surprisingly good way of building up road confidence when back behind the wheel of a car after a long hiatus.

If you drive nothing up until delivery day, your anxiety will be compounded as it's an expensive vehicle. And it's a big car with dimensions longer and wider than most SUVs.

So hire something cheap and ideally electric so you can get a feel for driving again, and driving electric. Drive all the roads you expect to drive regularly and even drive your trip from dealer to wherever your Taycan is going a few times to alleviate any stress on collection day.

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
Congrats to you for getting driver license here in China! I think test drive taycan is not the point, because you will get it sooner or later. I would recommend you rent a car and try to drive it for some time, to get used to the traffic in Shanghai and learn the way to drive in China. This might be helpful to you to avoid some "easy" accident before you get the new taycan! Good luck!

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Thanks for the good wishes everyone!

Congrats to you for getting driver license here in China! I think test drive taycan is not the point, because you will get it sooner or later. I would recommend you rent a car and try to drive it for some time, to get used to the traffic in Shanghai and learn the way to drive in China. This might be helpful to you to avoid some "easy" accident before you get the new taycan! Good luck!
Any tips on avoiding the cyclists, electric bikers, and delivery guys?

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
Thanks for the good wishes everyone!

Any tips on avoiding the cyclists, electric bikers, and delivery guys?
Keep focus, don't play phones when driving, watch left and right before turns. Just be careful :)

That's why I suggest you to try to drive by some rented car, to practice here.

OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
I prefer the title: "electric cygnet".

Just so you know going forward.

In your situation, I would hire anything, even a Toyota Prius just to get some driving time and build up road confidence.

Even cycling on the roads is a surprisingly good way of building up road confidence when back behind the wheel of a car after a long hiatus.

If you drive nothing up until delivery day, your anxiety will be compounded as it's an expensive vehicle. And it's a big car with dimensions longer and wider than most SUVs.

So hire something cheap and ideally electric so you can get a feel for driving again, and driving electric. Drive all the roads you expect to drive regularly and even drive your trip from dealer to wherever your Taycan is going a few times to alleviate any stress on collection day.
Very good points. Might do something like that this weekend! Maybe rent a x-peng.
Curious how it drives at that price point.

OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Want to update everyone here. So we ended up not test driving due to the Covid lockdowns in Shanghai, but we're very lucky to have picked up the car yesterday, right before further lockdown restrictions.

Wife has not allowed me to try out Launch Control yet.

Thanks for voting!
Sponsored