Should I trade in my Taycan 4S for an Aston Martin Vantage? (pics)

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Ah, don't do it. Why would you ever buy an ICE car again? It's terrible technology and driving experience compared to a refined EV like the Taycan. The Taycan is just awesome now, and I personally prefer the interior to the AM :)
Sponsored

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4S, ‘21 Defender 110
Country flag
Funny i keep looking at those too as i wait months for my car to get here. DBX is pretty nice looking too. Ultimately, the electronics are so awful in them I think they can’t be a daily driver.

Actually the car i came closest to buying instead was the new MB AMG SL55. Just a beautiful car, inside and out.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
I love my car but the AM will scratch my childhood itch to be James Bond (not a very good reason I know). On the street the Taycan feels faster. If it were one of the manual Vantages I would get it in a heartbeat, but I couldn't find one of those in a spec I liked. What do?

1662167948389.jpeg

1662167958929.jpeg

1662167971440.jpeg
Got a wrong 'un there mate. Steering wheel is on the wrong side. Must be fake.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Other than, perhaps, in terms of price, the two cars are entirely incomparable.

I had a previous iteration V8 Vantage. Kept it 8.5yrs. It was a brilliant car. Loved it. (Am not so much a fan of the latest one, outside or in).

As my family grew, I was long on 2-seat cars. So I traded it for a Maserati GT. That was a good car, but not great. Too big really. Fantastic sound, and had massive street presence. Interior was lovely (mine was optioned up), but it could not do b-roads in the UK at all (not really what it was designed to do, to be fair).

Traded that after 2yrs for a 911 (997). Still have this after 4yrs. It's a better compromise than the GT for a youngish family. Great down b-roads, and just about enough space for kids.

A Taycan doesn't replace a 2-seat sports car. It doesn't even replace a 2+2 sportscar IMO.

They are great cars, but IMO if you don't need a 4 seat practical car, there are so many excellent sportscars out there that you'd be nuts not to try as many as you can :)

Reactions: vdr

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is a stunningly beautiful car. It is not a great car. What are your priorities? Decide and act accordingly. The only thing that matters is whether you are happy. Maria Kondo your life. But ICE cars are part of the problem, so there is that . . .
Agree - just have a hard time with the build and in particular interior quality of Aston Martin's - nowhere close to as good as Porsche. Also the infotainment seems terribly dated in their cars including the newly released models. But esthetically they are a slam dunk, no doubt.

Luminated67

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4M50
Country flag
If it’s an itch that needs scratched then until that’s done you will always crave to own one. All my life I have craved a 911 but with a son in a wheelchair such a machine is completely impractical so I never scratched that itch.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
YOLO. Go for it.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I once test-drove the AM Vantage V8 because I liked the design very much. But my impression was that "it had no motor". Maybe the V12 is better?

But even then, a Taycan GTS is a GTS...

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Ah, don't do it. Why would you ever buy an ICE car again? It's terrible technology and driving experience compared to a refined EV like the Taycan. The Taycan is just awesome now, and I personally prefer the interior to the AM :)
So true. AM interior looks like something Toyota dreamed up. And in a few years time, driving an ICE will be just about as cool as smoking cigarettes. But do as you must, Mr. Bond.

Deleted member 6348

I considered a current Gen Vantage, but went with a 992C4S in 2020. They’re neat cars. You won’t see yourself coming or going at a Cars & Coffee.

They were practically giving the Vantage away with sweetheart lease deals just a couple of years ago. Aston Martin Vantage depreciation is not inconsequential and service costs are eye watering, even the new AMG powered cars. You should know that going in. Maintenance costs are a tier above Porsche.

I don’t see trading a Taycan for a Vantage as a valid swap. I would figure out how you can own both.

About a decade ago, I came to the realization that owning multiple cars is the solution. It’s fun to have choices. When you accept that you’re just going to have more than one car, you don’t have to be so hung up about practicality, etc. It’s liberating. We got up to five cars last year before thinning things out and making room for some incoming fun.

Obviously, there are financial considerations and everyone’s priorities are different. That being said, if you’re already playing with Taycan money, you likely can afford a few cars.

It doesn’t have to be an either or scenario.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
Other than, perhaps, in terms of price, the two cars are entirely incomparable.

I had a previous iteration V8 Vantage. Kept it 8.5yrs. It was a brilliant car. Loved it. (Am not so much a fan of the latest one, outside or in).

As my family grew, I was long on 2-seat cars. So I traded it for a Maserati GT. That was a good car, but not great. Too big really. Fantastic sound, and had massive street presence. Interior was lovely (mine was optioned up), but it could not do b-roads in the UK at all (not really what it was designed to do, to be fair).

Traded that after 2yrs for a 911 (997). Still have this after 4yrs. It's a better compromise than the GT for a youngish family. Great down b-roads, and just about enough space for kids.

A Taycan doesn't replace a 2-seat sports car. It doesn't even replace a 2+2 sportscar IMO.

They are great cars, but IMO if you don't need a 4 seat practical car, there are so many excellent sportscars out there that you'd be nuts not to try as many as you can :)
I had this history but in reverse. Went from a Panamera to a Maserati GT MC in three tone red. Looked and sounded incredible! But, they are not "good" cars - drink fuel, handle poorly, cheap elements to the interior (the key is so bad!). Lasted 3-4 months.

Moved to a DB11 and it sounded decent (not a patch on the GT), was much more comfortable and felt expensive. Good sound system. The nav can now be tweaked to be a non-touchscreen Apple/Android so it is better, BUT, as has been said above, the electronics are 10 years old. The Aston was a great car and other road users loved it - you get treated like everyone's best friend.

But ultimately the Taycan is just better. The power is 100% predictable, the interior works better - is more logical and makes sense. The nav etc works well. So the question is, do you want something that looks great and is more emotive, or the better car? Taycan is the best all rounder I have owned - it munches the miles, costs less to own, looks great. If you can afford to have a weekend driver garage queen then buy the AMV. If not, then the Taycan 10/10.

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
They were practically giving the Vantage away with sweetheart lease deals just a couple of years ago. Aston Martin Vantage depreciation is not inconsequential and service costs are eye watering, even the new AMG powered cars. You should know that going in. Maintenance costs are a tier above Porsche.
This! I was in the same position a couple of years ago; coming out of an i8 lease and was intrigued by the deals I had seen on the Vantage. I like the car from the side and rear view but the front end reminded me of a Miata. I was also a bit apprehensive about the lack of CarPlay availability which I’ve always found quite useful. I really wanted a DB11…. still do… but alas the pricing was too difficult to justify.

i like my Taycan, don’t love it as I find the wonky software a bit frustrating at times and the phone app to be annoyingly slow. I have an Emira on order since before I received my Taycan with the hope that the Lotus will satisfy my need for a fun weekend car.
Sponsored