W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ah, I did not realise that. So it is possible to charge the car using 50KW/150KW rapid public chargers with the standard equipment?
No, just 50kW DC only as the car has a 400V DC to 800V DC voltage boost convertor (Taycan batteries are 800V) onboard as standard.

The additional 150kW DC option is for 400V rated chargers - BP Pulse (I think) and is a bit of a legacy (I haven't found any...yet). However, you can still use these but the car will "only" charge at 50kW max (so not altogether pointless) given the standard 50kW DC to DC voltage boost convertor.

Given the price it seems a no brainer albeit a tad speculative.
Sponsored

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
Guys are you sure the PMC is rated to 22kW - manual says not. PMCC is in UK and helps to explain the increased cost.? A moot point given the dependencies.
Yes as I was buying the 3 phase red industrial cable the dealer verified it first that I will get 22kwh speed if I have the option in the car. The only thing I didn’t ask him was that would this 3 phase red industrial cable also give 22kw on Porsche mobile charger . It was relevant to me as I have the mobile charger connect

dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
MY21 4s just arrived this morning. The garage was set up with a ClipperCreek HCS-80 hardwired into a 100-amp subpanel, plus a NEMA 14-50 in case the EVSE fails. Of course, only a single circuit can run at any one time. I had a whole home generator installed simultaneously (thanks to the August derecho), and I hope the electricians can install a sensor that will automatically switch power to the EVSE off in case the transfer switch engages.

Porsche Taycan Show your home charging setup for your Taycan 2021-02-12 08.58.16

Porsche Taycan Show your home charging setup for your Taycan 2021-02-12 08.57.43

Porsche Taycan Show your home charging setup for your Taycan 2021-02-12 08.56.39-3

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@dgompper nice install - it should serve you well

are you getting 10.4x kW during charging with the ClipperCreek HCS 80?

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@dgompper yes - porsche under-documents the North American taycan AC Level 2 charging limit as 9.6 kW - this limit is correct if you are charging from a "mobile" EV charger (EVSE) - which is limited by NEMA 14-50/6-50 plugs - 50 amp breaker = 40 amp charge rate = 9.6 kW

the charger actually included "inside" the vehicle is the same 11 kW charger Porsche ships to the rest of the world - therefore if you are using a 60 amp (or greater) EVSE (like your ClipperCreek HCS-80) - you get the Taycan's maximum charge rate of 11 kilowatts (48 amps - which is the appropriate charge rate for a 60 amp breaker).

woot!! double woot - hurray for Porsche not artificially limiting North American Taycan's to 9.6 kW.

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am still trying to get my head around how the mobile charger plus will work at home for me. As most (like me) will not have 3 phase at home is the only other option with this charger a very slow charge using a 3 pin plug? Or can I install something else at home to get a 7kw charge when using this mobile charger plus?

If the answer is no, then I may as well not get the mobile charger plus and instead get a public charger cable if Porsche will still allow it as my order is very close to freeze.

I will install a Zappi at work on the 3 phase system there but need something in place at home if I ever need it, however not through a 3 pin plug as that will take forever.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I am still trying to get my head around how the mobile charger plus will work at home for me. As most (like me) will not have 3 phase at home is the only other option with this charger a very slow charge using a 3 pin plug? Or can I install something else at home to get a 7kw charge when using this mobile charger plus?

If the answer is no, then I may as well not get the mobile charger plus and instead get a public charger cable if Porsche will still allow it as my order is very close to freeze.

I will install a Zappi at work on the 3 phase system there but need something in place at home if I ever need it, however not through a 3 pin plug as that will take forever.
You most definitely do not require a 3 phase supply for either Porsche Mobile Charge Plus (PMC) or Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC).

PMC and PMCC are ideally suited to a single phase supply BUT to take advantage of the maximum charging capability available from either charger you MUST install a separately fused 32 A supply from your existing mains fuse box to the supply connector of the charger. Any competent electrician can do this for you.

Estimate £450 - £500 for this work (dependent on materials and labour) or perhaps less. In my case because my fuse board was full an additional mini supply board was added to run the 32 A supply.

The separate 32 A supply is not an additional supply of electricity into your home but simply an extension of what you already have but with its own 32 A fuse and direct from the mains.

With PMC and PMCC you will get around 7.4kW of charging throughput which is perfect for home charger / top-ups / overnight charging.

The maximum you could expect from PMC is 9.6kW and from PMCC 22kW which is academic in any single phase supply scenario.

If you do not do the above then you will be limited to using your 13 A plug connection which is woefully inadequate. Given both PMC and PMCC are technically portable the 13 A plug connector is a belt and braces option and can be taken with you on holiday when touring for example.

If you have a 3 phase supply at work and given either the PMC or the PMCC is portable then you can always take the charger with you and simply hook up as needed. If you pay extra for the PMCC then you would get 22kW of throughput (assuming the 3 phase isn't shared etc) and for the PMC 9.6kW. Ideally, you want a home charging solution otherwise life with an EV will not be optimised.

In summary:

PMC at home = 7.4kW (32 A supply) & 9.6kW at work
PMCC at home = 7.4kW (32 A supply) & 22kW at work

PMC or PMCC can use the basic 3 pin 13A plug supply connection but is glacially slow.

Does this help to clarify?

Last edited:

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag

The mobile charger plus should come as standard with a 32A “commando” cable as well as the 13A 3 pin cable. You just attach the one you want to use. So you can get a dedicated 1 phase 32A circuit ( usually over specced a bit to 40A wiring for safety) installed at home to include a blue 32A commando socket. Sometimes from the incoming main before your distribution board, sometimes as a dedicated circuit from your board. This will give you 7.2kW to allow an overnight charge. Most capable electricIans can do this, Porsche recommend Anderson. You don’t need to buy the Anderson charger, apparently they will just install a commando socket If you ask.
See this: . This deals with the PMCC but shows the commando socket. You don’t need the fancy box either, the PMC standard charger comes with a mount. Some people have reported only getting a 16A lead, but the standard spec on Porsche UK’s site lists the 32A.
There are several threads on this forum about UK charging too, the search function should find them.

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
Beat me to it.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
It does. I have to flip mine over. Proves that dealers know nothing.
To prevent confusion for others, your dealer was right in telling you to install it upside down. Ground pin down IS upside down. The standard is to have ground pin up.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
To prevent confusion for others, your dealer was right in telling you to install it upside down. Ground pin down IS upside down. The standard is to have ground pin up.
True. I didn't know this and now my plug is upside down in the Porsche Box. No big deal other then its upside down. Do it right the first time.