W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Also check which supply cable comes with the PMC Plus if you aren't upgrading to PMCC. It may be shipped with either a 16A or 32A cable (32A is what you need). It may be you need to source separately but your electrician will keep you honest.

It turns out there are 3 models of Porsche Charger - Mobile Charger, Mobile Charge Plus and Mobile Charger Connect.

The standard one supplied with the car is the PMC Plus according to the UK configurator. Not clear which socket connector it comes with but my guess is the 16 A one and ideally you want the 32 A one.
Sponsored

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
It looks like the standard cable should be a 32A, unless you specify the 16A. This is copied from the Porsche UK standard spec tab.

E-Performance
Charge port on driver (AC Type 2) and front passenger sides (AC/DC Type 2 CCS Combo)
11kW AC on-board charger
50kW DC on-board charger for use of public charging stations with a voltage of 400V
DC charging at public charging stations with voltage of 800V
Supply cable for domestic electrical socket
Supply cable for industrial electrical outlet (230V, 32A)
Mobile Charger Plus with 4.5m vehicle side cable

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Oh, that Porsche Parking sign really is quite small.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Oh, that Porsche Parking sign really is quite small.
Yeah, I got that as a gift and it is very nice but it could be a bigger sign. If I were still driving into work it would be funny to put that on a post in the buildings parking lot. (The building owners might not appreciate the humor) :)

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
A lil un neat but it’s doing it’s job perfectly. I’m getting 10.5kw per hr on 3 phase 240v
Bought the red commando plug from Porsche which can give me a max of 22kw but unfortunately my car is specced to receive a max of 11kw

Porsche Taycan Show your home charging setup for your Taycan ED305E2F-7264-47B5-90F5-6AA7A6D0E161

Porsche Taycan Show your home charging setup for your Taycan B4DE9896-42B1-408E-B38D-7D11D116F9BB

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@daveo4EV you probably would know this ? Can you charge an Audi e tron with the pmcc?
for North America the answer is _YES_ you can charge any EV (including a Tesla) with the PMCC - the PMCC is a just a super expensive J-1772 EVSE sold at a huge mark up by Porsche.

I have charged my friend’s 2021 eTron with my 9.6 kW north american PMCC - I have also charged my Tesla with it, and I’ve charged my friend’s eTron with my 100 amp Tesla Gen2 Wall Chargers via a TeslaTap (NOTE: the eTron SUV also charges at 11 kW when plugged into an appropriate 60/48 amp charger) - the eTron SUV charging unit is identical to the Porsche charging units, but the eTron SUV comes with the version of the PMCC that has no screen and has an Audi sticker on it. I’ve also used my Tesla 40 amp and 32 amp UMC’s to charge virtually everything as well. Compatibility between various J-1772 chargers and J-1772 vehicles is high in north america.

the answer is probably “yes” for other regions, but I honestly don’t know what the compatibility standards are for other regions.

Last edited:

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anyone seen a 9.6 kW charging rate?

I have my PMCC plugged into a 14-50 and the charger is set to the maximum power of 40A. But the it is charging now and the PMCC display says 38.8 A / 40 A and the car says it is charging at 8.4 kW.
Porsche Taycan Show your home charging setup for your Taycan IMG_3585

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Jon Steinmetz

8.4 kW is about correct for a 9.6 kW charge rate - there are charging “losses”between the ”wall socket” and the battery - Porsche’s software in car seems to report the amount of power that is “hitting” the battery - which will be less than the “raw” power coming from the PMCC

I have a whole house power monitor and I can “see” the delta on the power draw when the charger kicks on - the delta is the raw & pure 9.6 kW - but then what I see inside the vehicle is the lower value of power hitting the battery due to charging losses.

Also the kW’s reported will vary based on your home’s actual voltage - in North America 240 volts is an “ideal” voltage number - but the actual electrical grid is variable with in a range of voltage - 240 volts is used for calculations of 9.6 kW (240 volts * 40 amps = 9,600 watts or 9.6 kW)

however the real world is not ideal - and actual voltages in your home and from your electrical supplier will vary - I’ve seen as low as 210 volts on a hot summer day when everyone in the neighborhood is running their AC’s - and as high as 250 volts - so the actual kW’s will vary slightly due to variations in actual voltage which depend on several factors:
  • actual voltages from your electrical supplier
  • variation in voltage supply through out the day
  • variation due to “grid” loads through out the day
  • voltage “loss” due to the wiring inside your home from your “meter” to the actual “plug” in your garage
    • if you have a long run of cheap wire there will be “voltage drop” over the distance of the wire - if you measure voltage at the “meter” and voltage at the wall socket - the wall socket may be lower than voltage at the meter due to voltage drop due to wire gauge, temperature, length, materials (copper vs. aluminum)
212 volts * 40 amps = 8,480 watts - or 8.4 kW
220 volts * 40 amps = 8,800 watts - or 8.8 kW
230 volts * 40 amps = 9,200 watts - or 9.2 kW
240 volts * 40 amps = 9,600 watts - or 9.6 kW
250 volts * 40 amps = 10,000 watts - or 10.0 kW

all of the voltages listed above may be “normal” for various conditions in residential power supplies from the grid - and therefor you will see that actual charge rates will/can/do vary from the “ideal” 240v * 40 amp calculations…

my Taycan in my home in the evening reports 8.96 kW when charging from the PMCC - and I can see the 9.6 kW draw on my power meter…

my Taycan in my home in the evening reports 10.46 kW when charging from my Tesla Gen2 wall charger @ 48 amps - I see a 11.5 kW ”draw” from my electrical meter, and the vehicle reports 10.46 kW is actually charging the battery - that’s a 48 amp charge rate on a 60 amp breaker…

I‘ve seen similar variation with all my EV’s and in particluar my Tesla’s

Porsche in car software is reporting the amount of power being added to the battery - that will be necessarily less than “actual” consumption from the wall socket from losses due to overhead in the charging process (AC/DC conversation & heat loss - power is also lost if the Taycan is using the PMCC powersupply for battery/vehicle conditioning during the charging process).

the PMCC has a kWh “odometer/meter” and it will show you the actual consumption of power - and I’ve found it matches the actual utility meter pretty closely - if you keep track you will see more power consumed by the PMCC than was provided to the battery - this is normal and expected.

9.6 kW may be “entering” the vehicle at the “charging port” - but less is hitting the battery due to overhead/losses between the charging port & the battery (AC/DC conversation overhead being the major contributor - most inverters have a 3-11% loss in AC/DC conversion).

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Jon Steinmetz

38.8 amps * 240 volts = 9,312 watts or 9.312 kW

if your power supply from your electrical provider is the “ideal” 240 volts - the maximum amount of power for your setup appears to be 9.312 kW - and losses in actual power being delivered to the vehicle battery will be off that ideal maximum…
Sponsored