Side airbag rear - questions (close to lock date, urgently please :) )

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 4s (going); MY22 CT 4s (on order)
So, I've done quite a bit of research in the forum and google and Porsche and couldn't find much official information on the side airbag for the rear.

For me it has always been a must to option this for the price (why wouldn't you if you carry your loved ones in the car). However.....

I've seen a comment that they don't fare well with child seats. Although good to see this point of view, I wanted something official from Porsche on the benefits, downsides, risks....or anything to help me make the decision to spec them or not...

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So, I've done quite a bit of research in the forum and google and Porsche and couldn't find much official information on the side airbag for the rear.

For me it has always been a must to option this for the price (why wouldn't you if you carry your loved ones in the car). However.....

I've seen a comment that they don't fare well with child seats. Although good to see this point of view, I wanted something official from Porsche on the benefits, downsides, risks....or anything to help me make the decision to spec them or not...

Any help will be greatly appreciated
I don't have these in my car nor do I have young children but it would be my default to option these if I did. For adults then I generally don't specify as the car will have curtain airbags (in the roof) and rarely have 4 passengers. Fully agree that for the cost its a safe option to have.

The seats, ISOFIX fixings and airbags will have been through appropriate testing - don't know where to reference this but suggest asking your dealer. I can't imagine Porsche (or any manufacturer) would make the options available if there was a safety concern.

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
When we spoke to our dealership, they said a definite no to side air bags with child seats present. i had it specc'd and then removed it based on their advice.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
When we spoke to our dealership, they said a definite no to side air bags with child seats present. i had it specc'd and then removed it based on their advice.
There you go - actual advice from the dealer.

I understand that it is illegal to use a front seat with a rear facing child seat unless the airbag has been disabled. Rear side ones can't be (as far as I know) so I guess it's then down to what rear protection there is (curtain airbag) and /or rear side.

Some other advice here - https://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing-using/airbags-and-child-seats/ but also check https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/porsche/taycan/39129 as the authoritative source.

OP
OP

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks - my challenge on this one is when asking dealerships they also say "don't use thid party charger cable or the car will blow up". So sometimes I take it with a pinch of salt....

I tried to find something official on Porsche website but nothing yet, nor on the brochure. My thinking is that surely they would have a disclaimer if it would endanger children? Likewise don't want to untick the box and regret....it seems the cheapest option in my book for additional safety

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks - my challenge on this one is when asking dealerships they also say "don't use thid party charger cable or the car will blow up". So sometimes I take it with a pinch of salt....

I tried to find something official on Porsche website but nothing yet, nor on the brochure. My thinking is that surely they would have a disclaimer if it would endanger children? Likewise don't want to untick the box and regret....it seems the cheapest option in my book for additional safety
Rely on the EURO NCAP review (in URL above) and that will give you the most comprehensive statements.

Its not so much 'what to do in a Porsche' as it is a generic safety consideration and so placement of rear child seats is safest in the centre of the rear seat which may / may not be that practical plus it will depend on the nature of your child seat. Did you review Porsche choices for this (Tequipment website) as there may be more info on there for the child seats they sell?

OP
OP

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks, will read thoroughly. Not sure the cars tested have rear side airbags

i have emailed Porsche UK too so can update with their feedback

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks, will read thoroughly. Not sure the cars tested have rear side airbags

i have emailed Porsche UK too so can upsate with their feedback
Air bags are not in the doors but the outer edge of the seats from what I can tell.

I'm tempted (now) to say that you don't need them and that the curtains are sufficient but don't take my word for it.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I always thought it strange that you could option in more airbags. It feels like there is nowhere near enough objective information provided for customers to make an informed decision. Safety options shouldn't be subject to confusion, rumour and conjecture.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
No prob with child seats. If you have kids, I'd recommend.

OP
OP

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No prob with child seats. If you have kids, I'd recommend.
thanks good to know, no one has answered it “officially”. Did you have the same question to the dealer or Porsche?

OP
OP

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you option the third seat in the middle and put the car seat there?
most of the charts I saw would say no, only on either side in the rear
Sponsored