Side Window tint question (UK)

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
Does anyone know if the front side windows on the Taycan are already at the max legal UK tint limit (70% visible light)?
Sponsored

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
Not sure but just had mine done at 55% and looks epic and still clear as night

OP
OP
mutanthands

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
Not sure but just had mine done at 55% and looks epic and still clear as night
Even the front side windows? How likely are you to be stopped if the tint is too dark?

I was looking at privacy glass, but it kind of annoys me that all the windows aren’t the same tint.

MarkG_M5

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5 Comp, Taycan ordered
Country flag
Yes the factory are at the legal limit but a light tint is still fine to see.
You do run the risk of upsetting the law but it’s a risk worth taking as it looks so much better.
I alway have mine done :)

Sorry for the terrible picture!

Porsche Taycan Side Window tint question (UK) 11265FBC-0EF5-4D78-9004-1A7E1AC2135C

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
Hi can you show pictures ?
I get mine back this week and will put pics up , had all my previous cars 35% rear 55% front and too date never had an issue even when pulled for no plate on front etc etc ,

OP
OP
mutanthands

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
I get mine back this week and will put pics up , had all my previous cars 35% rear 55% front and too date never had an issue even when pulled for no plate on front etc etc ,
Great, look forward to seeing the photos!

jijitalia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD-ASTON DB9-DB11-CooperS-BM530e
Country flag
Yes the factory are at the legal limit but a light tint is still fine to see.
You do run the risk of upsetting the law but it’s a risk worth taking as it looks so much better.
I alway have mine done :)

Sorry for the terrible picture!

11265FBC-0EF5-4D78-9004-1A7E1AC2135C.jpeg
what kind of ticket you get if caught for darker than legal ? I don't like too light tint as aoption from porsche as I need darker solution - 15 back & 50 front (which is one tone above the legal one) -- I do have a possible ticket for it but I'll manage to slide down window in emergency control and 🤞😅

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Does anyone know if the front side windows on the Taycan are already at the max legal UK tint limit (70% visible light)?
The actual law for cars built after 1985 is:

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later
The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Its possible to also add a grey tint to the upper part of the front windscreen which is demonstrably darker than the standard green tint.

Not sure what tint level there is as standard but I suspect it ain't at the limit.

I suspect that this 'law' will be enforced in the same way that number plate format and style is, 20 mph speed limits and so on....

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
what kind of ticket you get if caught for darker than legal ? I don't like too light tint as aoption from porsche as I need darker solution - 15 back & 50 front (which is one tone above the legal one) -- I do have a possible ticket for it but I'll manage to slide down window in emergency control and 🤞😅
Fear the traffic warden, camera recognition or a passing beat Bobbie..

Penalties for having wrongly tinted windows
It’s illegal to fit or sell glass (or a vehicle already fitted with glass) that breaks the rules on tinted windows.
The police or the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) vehicle examiners use light measuring equipment to measure window tint.

If your windscreen or front side windows are tinted too much you could get:

• a ‘prohibition notice’ stopping you using your vehicle on the road until you have the extra tint removed
  • a penalty notice or court summons

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
If going darker than is legal, I would be more concerned about insurance/accident investigators in the event of an accident.

I wonder if anyone has had the discussion with their insurer saying that they have made their car illegal by reducing its visibility and asking if they are still covered?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If going darker than is legal, I would be more concerned about insurance/accident investigators in the event of an accident.

I wonder if anyone has had the discussion with their insurer saying that they have made their car illegal by reducing its visibility and asking if they are still covered?
Suspect not - look at all those 'drug dealer' RRs out there with fully blacked out windows - can't be legal.

No harm to ask your insurer but good luck with explaining that to them - be very specific - but as long as you are within the law then it ought not change your premium or ability to get cover.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Suspect not - look at all those 'drug dealer' RRs out there with fully blacked out windows - can't be legal.

No harm to ask your insurer but good luck with explaining that to them - be very specific - but as long as you are within the law then it ought not change your premium or ability to get cover.
I doubt any of the dealer type cars have any insurance etc anyway.
Probably most are stolen and on fake plates.

I meant with the tint/insurer, if people were going beyond the legal limit.

I am just very wary nowadays.... following a serious crash (when 2 bikers racing, one hit us at c120 mph) and our car had to be impounded for months.
I started taking a lot more notice of insurance etc since then.

It didn't help that the bike who hit us was uninsured as he had his license revoked after medical conditions from a previous crash.

That phone call you had with your insurers (which they have recorded) starts playing tricks with your mind during the wait/investigations.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I saw a police documentary quite some time ago. Traffic cops pulled a guy for some random reason (maybe the tints) and he was a bit gobby. They made him peel the film off at the roadside before he was allowed to drive away.

Anyway, suspect it only gets picked up when you're stopped for something else and added onto the list.
Sponsored