Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Did my PEC at Silverstone last week in a GTS ST. Better described as an aggressive yet controlled test drive.

For those interested, or want to know what to expect, the half-day below is summarised. It also explains why I have decided against Carmine Red, where the PEC is also a great way to see lots of Porsche colours parked side-by-side.

I did the morning session, which included breakfast. The afternoon session includes an afternoon tea.

Sections below:
  1. The start of the PEC
  2. The GTS ST demonstrator and the driving
  3. Food and Drink
  4. The problem with Carmine Red
  5. Other cars/colours
  6. Closing Thoughts & Instructor's Delivery Prediction

1. The start of the PEC
For the morning session, the day starts early, where you should arrive by 8.30am. Finding the Porsche Centre at Silverstone is easy. Ample parking, where you will see many Porsche's parked up. On entering the building, you register along with your guest if someone is with you (I shared the driving time with a friend). You can then take a look at the cars in the lobby, before heading upstairs where you will be shown your designated table.

Downstairs had a very nice 911 Sport Classic in Crayon ("chalk") along with a £10m vintage roadster:

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_083758.JPG
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_084024.JPG

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_084131.JPG
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 12.26.57 PM

At just after 9am, your designated pro instructor visits your table, and introduces themselves. They quickly explain how the day will progress before everyone is collected and taken to the briefing room. Here, there's a quick presentation by one of the Porsche reps.

You get to watch a video that covers inane dross about things like diet and exercise, and that is soon after you've just hoovered up an eggs benedict and gulped down a generous full fat cappuccino...

About halfway through the presentation, I couldn't help thinking that those 20 minutes would have been better used driving the car, not least as the room was filled with your archetypal Porsche demographic: 50+ wealthy gent, many who had brought along the wife. Are they really going to get into iron man training and clean eating as part of their Porsche buying experience?

Probably not.

After 20 minutes of Porsche shamelessly wasting everyone's life, you exit the briefing area to the rear of the building where you meet your instructor. We quickly decided that I would drive the first session; my friend the second session and the fun finally could begin.

2. The GTS ST demonstrator and the driving
The GTS ST demonstrator was nice in Gentian Blue, though it didn't feel like an ST where it had roof rails, and those awful-looking aero wheels. I don't know if it had PDCC or not, where I was keen to drive a Taycan with and without that option. That was not possible, as they only designate a single car to each participant group. I do know the chip shortage meant the AWD/g-force display was not available, so perhaps supply is limited, which is why you couldn't drive multiple Taycan's on the day.

I was expecting that, otherwise how can I decide on driving options like PDCC? I can't, so that means I am not optioning it.

My instructor, a guy called Keith, did explain the brake options were a waste and there only for cosmetics. The interior of the car was the standard GTS Race-Tex. It is nice. In recent months I decided I had to go GTS exclusive Race-Tex, where I was set on a leather interior. Race-Tex is really growing on me, and I love how grippy the steering where is compared to leather, where my (sweaty) palms on a long drive makes leather a less-than-ideal choice.

Also useful is the car seat set up, where Keith got me into the optimal seating position.

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 12.26.58 PM (2)

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 12.26.58 PM (1)

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 12.27.49 PM (1)

The Porsche-owned tracks are fun to drive and are perfectly designed to showcase the capabilities of the car. I only had 1 hour 15 minutes of driving time out of a total of 2.5 hours, where I was sharing my driving time with a friend. In that time, I hit:

• Standard circuit - This isn't named on the below map, but it's the track that circles the Low Friction and Ice Hill tracks. You will drive this first and it's a nice way to get comfortable in your car before driving the more challenging circuits.
  • The Handling Circuit - which was very fun, and allows a good amount of speed out of the corners. The instructor explained my steering wheel technique left a lot to be desired, but was confident he could clean it up... Had the full 2.5 hours been available. I will instead practice at home using a dinner plate. The turn of speed in the Taycan is vicious! It hides its weight incredibly well and I still can't get over how the cabin/excellent seating position makes it feel like you are driving a much smaller car.
  • The Straights - consisting two lanes on one side, three lanes on the other to simulate a motorway. Allows you to test launch control, the first time I've ever done such a thing in car and accelerated to 60mph in under 4 seconds. Huge fun. This is also where you get to test out the (standard) brakes, which are incredible. Porsche designs their braking systems so that all of their vehicles have a stopping time at 60mph that is half that of 0-60 time. Another advanced braking technique that I nailed was accelerating to 70mph, then on instruction, had to slam on the brakes for an emergency stop and then steer a hard 45 degrees and get into the farthest lane. That simulated a sudden obstruction ahead of you on the motorway (with nothing to the side of you, obviously).
  • Ice Hill - I found this a bit tedious. I didn't really feel any loss of traction driving up the ice hill, even with traction control switched off. The sheer weight/size of the Taycan and with it being AWD, means the car sticks to the road even in challenging conditions. I am sure if this was a RWD or much lighter vehicle, loss of traction would have been more obvious.
  • Low Friction - I didn't drive this as didn't have the time.
  • Kick Plate - this was great fun. A large plastic veneer covers the road, and it is sprayed with water. As you drive over the kickplate, the back of the car spins out. You have to control it. I did this with traction control on and off. On both occasions, I handled it like a pro and managed to stop the car from spinning out. However, it soon dawned on me why: it's that 2.3 tonnes and AWD doing most of the work again. Undeterred, I reassured myself that I truly am a great driver. No, really. Then I drove back to parking to let Keith show me how to actually drive a sports car...

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 1661707608900

We swapped seats and Keith then showed me what driving a Porsche is all about. He drove the standard circuit and the Handling Circuit, taking the chicanes and driving in a way I don't think is possible unless you are Lewis Hamilton.

I was left with no doubt that the Taycan is a very capable car!

3. Food and Drink
Both food and drink was good, especially where this is not a restaurant, but essentially a car dealership with a track outside of it. The menu was simple, but nicely done. For breakfast there was various options, from a full English to eggs benedict to a granola bowl. Lunch had three courses, where you could choose from three options for each.

I went for eggs benedict, which was nicely done. For lunch, a venison carpaccio to start, cod dish for main, a chocolate dish for dessert. No complaints.

Service was also good, but then spending £100k+ for a car, it would be a bit embarrassing of Porsche to not deliver anything less than very good hospitality on the day.

They reserve their bad service for the actual dealerships.

4. The problem with Carmine Red
Another benefit of the PEC, not much spoken about, is the chance to see the cars actually being driven and in many different colours. This lets you see light hit the cars from various angles that you just won't get in a showroom or a parked car. It therefore makes it a great way to decide on the colour(s) you might like.

I've always been set on CR since the day I placed my order. However, I'm yet to see a CR Porsche that really "pops", where those I have seen are in underground car parks or on a Macan, in overcast light. I am not sure if the boxy lines of the Macan makes CR look worse, but I personally would not choose it for that car.

It does look good on the Taycan, or so I thought.

There were many CR Porsche's there on the day, and I have decided I no longer love the colour any more.

CR seems to pop only if you are looking directly at it or from certain angles. If you are at an angle, and certainly in low light, CR looks dulled, almost matte in appearance. The shots below were taken on a Sony smartphone, where colours are not oversaturated unlike Apple/Samsung. So you can get a more accurate idea of what CR looks like in medium light:

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_114118.JPG

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_134459.JPG
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_134525.JPG

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_134514.JPG

These shots reveal the colour can be vibrant, but that is my problem with CR. Outside the front of the building were two other Macan's, both CR.

Both looked matted, with almost a hint of grey, yet they were not dirty. They were clean and polished. The blow press shots illustrate better what I saw. I did not take photos:

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 1661710753296
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 1661710764772

Only today, parked up outside of my gym was a Taycan saloon with the silver RS Spyders. It was in Carmine Red.

The sun was shining today and the car was not in any shadows.

Once again, the colour looked muted/matted with a very subtle hue of grey. I don't know if that is just how the surroundings (road) reflects off the paint, but it also doesn't look like a colour befitting a cutting-edge EV.

I want a vibrant colour that looks great - and not just good to mediocre - in all light conditions.

CR doesn't fit that criteria, at least to my eyes.

I am now in a dilemma. But one of timing. I have made my mind up I want to go PTS where I'm not keen on any of the standard colours. That will most likely extend delivery time by another six months, unless I am lucky. Speaking to my dealer, where I do like Crayon, but on the saloon, not the ST. It is also going PTS next year and I don't like any other standard colour.

5. Other cars/colours
Below are some of the other cars on the day, and in various colours. I really liked the grey on the Cayman GTS, and feel that would look stunning on the Taycan GTS ST. Subsquently, my PTS shortlist is Grigio Telesto/red calipers/GTS red interior or Gold Bronze Metallic/black calipers/GTS crayon interior. Possibly Stone Grey Metallic, which is another deep grey with a nice dynamic range.

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_134137.JPG
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_134228.JPG

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_134238.JPG
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_134315.JPG

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_134207.JPG
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_134728.JPG

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 20220824_134347.JPG

6. Closing Thoughts & Instructor's Delivery Prediction
The PEC @ Silverstone is very fun day, made sweeter where you have access to complimentary (and good) food and drink, plus are surrounded by lots of incredible cars.

It's a shame the service levels offered at the PEC are not mirrored by the dealers themselves, but then I suppose there is only so much they can do with the supply chain issues. Patience is required.

You can only schedule the PEC during weekdays, and from what I can tell, only 10 drivers are allowed out at any one time. That is why it can be difficult to book a slot quickly. Other Porsche buyers are there on the day, not just Taycan buyers, so the tracks are shared with different models.

The instructor I had was very pleasant and gave very useful feedback about my driving style, things I did good, and things I did bad. Even the seat set up was useful.

It is possible to book another session (you have to pay for It I understand, though I will ask my dealer if another complimentary session can be organised as "compensation" for the wait), and I will be doing this shortly before my car arrives. It is useful to get feedback from a pro driver in such a powerful car and I am sure even for very experienced drivers, there may well be useful tips/feedback.

Finally, my instructor asked me when I am expecting to receive the car. He did say that despite the supply chain issues, Porsche has a habit of purposefully quoting extended delivery times, but then delivering the car sooner than expected. While anecdotally that doesn't seem to be the case on this forum, I wait in hope that my car arrives Q123, instead of Q4 2056...

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Low-friction tracks/circles are my favorite. Sorry you missed it! Don’t miss it if you go back.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Thanks for putting the effort in to your review to make it an enjoyable read even for those of us who've already participated.
It is possible to book another session (you have to pay for It I understand, though I will ask my dealer if another complimentary session can be organised as "compensation" for the wait), and I will be doing this shortly before my car arrives.
When I enquired back in July about follow-up sessions, I was told that they were around £500 but none were yet available for the Taycan (unlike other models), and I was put on a list to be contacted when that changed. So please let us know if you are able to get one.
Finally, my instructor asked me when I am expecting to receive the car. He did say that despite the supply chain issues, Porsche has a habit of purposefully quoting extended delivery times, but then delivering the car sooner than expected. While anecdotally that doesn't seem to be the case on this forum, I wait in hope that my car arrives Q123, instead of Q4 2056...
I expect they're all good instructors & hosts, but I don't think they have a much better view on sales and business matters than we do on this forum.
EDIT- I meant to comment on this too-
I don't know if it had PDCC or not, where I was keen to drive a Taycan with and without that option. That was not possible, as they only designate a single car to each participant group.
If you contact them with the reg they should be able to confirm the presence of that option- I made a similar query re RAS following my previous vehicle order's Silverstone experience.

Last edited:

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Carmine Red looks awful on all Porsche except the Taycan. In fact any red looks awful on a SUV so I can understand why the Macan looks bad.
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no IMG_20220827_151524

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no IMG_20220822_162936

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no IMG_20220822_163002

Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no IMG_20220822_162908

OP
OP
TaycanHero

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Carmine Red looks awful on all Porsche except the Taycan. In fact any red looks awful on a SUV so I can understand why the Macan looks bad.
IMG_20220827_151524.jpg

IMG_20220822_162936.jpg

IMG_20220822_163002.jpg

IMG_20220822_162908.jpg
I do love how Satan's Chariot of Death looks. Maybe it is the angle, lighting and light coloured asphalt.

However, today outside my gym sat a Taycan saloon in Carmine Red, and that looked like the Macan - dull/matted and just didn't pop.

That is my concern as I wouldn't want to wait some 18 months for my first Porsche and then land a colour I'm 50/50 about.

I was always against greys, but really like the dynamic range and story behind Grigio Telesto. Otherwise Gold Bronze Metallic, or possibly Stone Grey Metallic.

I feel the dark accents of the GTS work really well some (but not all) greys; and in Gold Bronze Metallic it would be truly unique, while maintaining the futuristic aesthetic.

I need to have a think and also see an actual ST in Carmine Red, which I'm hoping to do at some point next month. There's one at my dealer!

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do love how Satan's Chariot of Death looks. Maybe it is the angle, lighting and light coloured asphalt.

However, today outside my gym sat a Taycan saloon in Carmine Red, and that looked like the Macan - dull/matted and just didn't pop.

That is my concern as I wouldn't want to wait some 18 months for my first Porsche and then land a colour I'm 50/50 about.

I was always against greys, but really like the dynamic range and story behind Grigio Telesto. Otherwise Gold Bronze Metallic, or possibly Stone Grey Metallic.

I feel the dark accents of the GTS work really well some (but not all) greys; and in Gold Bronze Metallic it would be truly unique, while maintaining the futuristic aesthetic.

I need to have a think and also see an actual ST in Carmine Red, which I'm hoping to do at some point next month. There's one at my dealer!
Honestly it looks like that, amazing, in real life. All I have done is 4 coats of Zymol Glasur Car Wax | Porsche Car Wax (cleanyourcar.co.uk) . It was waxed last week so is currently extra shiny.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Surprisingly to me, out of all those Silverstone photos outside and in, the colours that are looking their best are Gentian Blue, and possibly Dolomite Silver. Obviously I wasn't there to see it, and I know we're all used to overly saturated colours on digital devices, but it seems to me that the accuracy of the colour reproduction has been compromised by the lighting conditions- even the most vibrant colours look overly subdued IMO.

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
Having both Miami blue and Carmine red in the household I’m of the opinion that the flat Porsche colours need to be kept clean and as swirl free as possible 99% of the time. Prior to getting CR I was also in two minds as every CR I had seen looked muted. Only yesterday I pointed out a CR Macan to the Mrs saying it looks nothing like mine. Obviously colour is very personal but CR if kept properly is bold, definitely not subtle and to my eyes very vibrant. Depending what you’re looking for it’s definitely a head turner and phone cameras out colour. Unfortunately now being under a hose pipe ban mine won’t be getting cleaned for a while.
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no F57EBA4B-0508-467B-849F-5C64AF502637
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no E75790CC-1DB7-455C-91E1-920CAB463370
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 917C4766-E209-4047-97EA-60938FAA3B0B
Porsche Taycan Silverstone PEC day / Taycan GTS ST / why Carmine Red is a no 44141E6E-8D65-470A-B5F4-050EF218E31F

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Having both Miami blue and Carmine red in the household I’m of the opinion that the flat Porsche colours need to be kept clean and as swirl free as possible 99% of the time. Prior to getting CR I was also in two minds as every CR I had seen looked muted. Only yesterday I pointed out a CR Macan to the Mrs saying it looks nothing like mine. Obviously colour is very personal but CR if kept properly is bold, definitely not subtle and to my eyes very vibrant. Depending what you’re looking for it’s definitely a head turner and phone cameras out colour. Unfortunately now being under a hose pipe ban mine won’t be getting cleaned for a while.
F57EBA4B-0508-467B-849F-5C64AF502637.jpeg
E75790CC-1DB7-455C-91E1-920CAB463370.jpeg
917C4766-E209-4047-97EA-60938FAA3B0B.jpeg
44141E6E-8D65-470A-B5F4-050EF218E31F.jpeg
She’s a beaut!

OP
OP
TaycanHero

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are concerned that CR doesn't pop in some lighting conditions but you are considering an all around bland color like chalk?? Really?
Ha, I think chalk looks unique where there isn't really a colour like it, at least here in the UK.

That said, I do think it is being done to death across all Porsche models, probably why they are moving it PTS only as of next year.

Chalk + black can look nice, though I am not that keen on it for the ST model. I think it looks best on the GTS saloon with all the black accents, and CT with the black cladding.

OP
OP
TaycanHero

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Honestly it looks like that, amazing, in real life. All I have done is 4 coats of Zymol Glasur Car Wax | Porsche Car Wax (cleanyourcar.co.uk) . It was waxed last week so is currently extra shiny.
Did you have the paint corrected + PPF, or is it literally factory + car wax?

Every pic you post, CR does look incredible. It is just odd that when I do see CR in-person, it never looks like that.

That includes only yesterday where I saw a Taycan saloon in CR. It once again looked dulled/matte with a very subtle undertone of grey - the same as what I saw with those Macan's at the PEC.

Do agree that red generally looks bad on any SUV as the boxy proportions make it look like a firetruck/Matchbox toy.

OP
OP
TaycanHero

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
F57EBA4B-0508-467B-849F-5C64AF502637.jpeg
E75790CC-1DB7-455C-91E1-920CAB463370.jpeg
917C4766-E209-4047-97EA-60938FAA3B0B.jpeg
44141E6E-8D65-470A-B5F4-050EF218E31F.jpeg
That does look incredible and much more like the press shots/studio lighting, but yours is in natural light.

I was thinking that might be 100% the reason why CR looks so 50/50 in normal light: the owner has not had any paint correction done, they have not PPF'ed and nor ceramic coated.

Certainly for Macan owners, who won't be investing another £3k+ in paint protection, that might be why so many Macan's look so dull and matted in CR.

I presume you have had paint correction done to remove the swirls + PPF + ceramic/wax?

If that is how your CR looks then I might consider going back to it 😂

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Would you really pay a premium for CR and then PPF + ceramic coat it...would it not be cheaper / marginal additional cost to get PTS and a colour that actually pops naturally than make efforts to force it?

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Every pic you post, CR does look incredible. It is just odd that when I do see CR in-person, it never looks like that.

That includes only yesterday where I saw a Taycan saloon in CR. It once again looked dulled/matte with a very subtle undertone of grey - the same as what I saw with those Macan's at the PEC.

Do agree that red generally looks bad on ay SUV as the boxy proportions make it look like a firetruck/Matchbox toy.

Do agree that red generally looks bad on any SUV as the boxy proportions make it look like a firetruck/Matchbox toy.
Just 4 coats of that wax since January when I got it. It is an incredible wax. Creates an amazing shine. I am not allowed to use the muppets at hand wash businesses as they just create swirls. The guy who waxes it used to own a body shop and also moonlights at Porsche. Those photos are after the latest wax last week except for the first. Interestingly the first side profile pic is a few days after those mental thunderstorms monsoon we had last week. Kept its shine. Like MTGBUK says it depends if you look after your paintwork. But four waxes in it looks amazing imho. Just keep on waxing!
Sponsored