Silverstone PEC on Monday - what to ask for?

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan on order
Country flag
I have my complimentary PEC visit on Monday and TBH not sure what to ask for, as I understand it the instructor will ask what kind of experience you want.

My normal driving is in London <20mph with the occasional blast to the West Country and less often across Europe to Croatia.

I'm not particularly interested in track days, not because I can't but because it brings out the worst in me and I go a bit mental and too competitive even though it's not a race! I'm used to crazy acceleration as I have a Tesla M3P, although I am very law abiding on the road and generally stick to the speed limit (ish).

Maybe we can just leave the track alone, do a quick trip to Waitrose, go to Wickes and see how many half-sheets of plasterboard will fit in the back and then do a simulated school run?

Your tips would be most welcome.
Sponsored

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I didn't treat it like a track day. I treated it like an opportunity to learn how to drive the car fast, safely and in a controlled environment. The 'wet' parts of the like the ice hill were great learning experiences in terms of how the car handles in more extreme conditions. After some time taking in all the instructors tips and tricks, the speed I was carrying was hugely different at the start to the end.

Also: it's not like a track day, it's very much that if someone is faster then you pull over before it gets really obvious. And people will be faster than you. You will also be asked to respect some basic rules and so I didn't feel there was a point you could get really competitive with others.

But if you want to drive on the road around Silverstone, you will be able to.

I'll add: I guess you know this already, but it really does not handle like a Tesla ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SteveGTS

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'll add: I guess you know this already, but it really does not handle like a Tesla ;)
Thank goodness for that! I have had a couple of test drives in a CT but they were very sedate.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Thank goodness for that! I have had a couple of test drives in a CT but they were very sedate.
My test drive was too, because it's just not very fair going crazy with a salesperson in the car. As you get a lot of seat time at Silverstone, it really shows how accomplished the Taycan is, for a car of it's size and weight.

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I have my complimentary PEC visit on Monday and TBH not sure what to ask for, as I understand it the instructor will ask what kind of experience you want.

My normal driving is in London <20mph with the occasional blast to the West Country and less often across Europe to Croatia.

I'm not particularly interested in track days, not because I can't but because it brings out the worst in me and I go a bit mental and too competitive even though it's not a race! I'm used to crazy acceleration as I have a Tesla M3P, although I am very law abiding on the road and generally stick to the speed limit (ish).

Maybe we can just leave the track alone, do a quick trip to Waitrose, go to Wickes and see how many half-sheets of plasterboard will fit in the back and then do a simulated school run?

Your tips would be most welcome.
I will be there for the morning session on Monday. I haven’t really thought about how I wanted the experience to pan out.

I live in the countryside so being able to make decent headway on twisty, cowpat plastered roads with massive tractors and trailers lurking around every corner (and the odd suicidal hare/pheasant as well) would be realistic. The roads are never gritted so some time on the wet/ice parts will also be useful.

Looking forward to it and will hopefully get to say hello Steve.

OP
OP
SteveGTS

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will be there for the morning session on Monday. I haven’t really thought about how I wanted the experience to pan out.

I live in the countryside so being able to make decent headway on twisty, cowpat plastered roads with massive tractors and trailers lurking around every corner (and the odd suicidal hare/pheasant as well) would be realistic. The roads are never gritted so some time on the wet/ice parts will also be useful.

Looking forward to it and will hopefully get to say hello Steve.
Look out for a tall fat bloke with his Mrs 😀

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
It is a great experience, I just left it to the instructor having told him I just wanted to polish up my skills and get used to the car and how it handled. You can opt to take it out of Silverstone on the open road too. I spend the first half of the morning on the track building up speed and getting tips from the instructor, then a few sessions on the straights using launch control and then emergency stops, a few figures of eights then in for coffee. "2nd part was on the kick plate and ice hill, which I would highly recommend. Start off in normal mode on the kick plate then ending up with in Sport plus with no traction control. You never get to practice skidding until it is happening for real so definitely do the kick pad and ice hill
Sponsored