Single phase or 3 Phase cable confusion - UK

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
About to order a Porsche Taycan and can’t seem to get a clear answer on charging cables.

Understand for the 50kw and above chargers they are all tethered no need for a cable.

For Home Charging - 7.2kw a 32 Amp Single Phase cable is all that’s needed.
For 11kw and 22kw Public Chargers – am I correct in stating you need a 3Phase Cable in order to charge at those rates? If that is the case can you use a 3Phase cable also at home in a standard 7.2kw Charger (EO Mini – but no 3 phase electricity at home) i.e. is the cable backwards compatible to 7.2 kw.

Therefore, other than cost of a 3Phase, is there any downside in ordering one as your main cable for home and in the car for Public Charging on the move. Where I park at work there are 22kw chargers.

And last question – any particular recommendations for a 10m cable to purchase?
Sponsored

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
I have the EO Mini unit.
Yes a cable capable of 3 phase will also work at home with 7.2KW single phase.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Hi Gordy, okay where to start. Let’s talk hone charging in the UK. Most homes are single phase with 100Amp breaker from the grid. So with PMCC you get a blue commando plug, so you need your electrician to install a blue 32 Amp socket. You will charge at 7.2kw. If you live in a mansion then you might have 3 phase, if so get your sparky to run the 3 phases to you charging point with red socket. You will need to buy a red plug from Porsche for £450! Public charging you need a type 2 cable, get one that cooked so it doesn’t take as much room in the car. You will use this cable as sone lower Kw AC places. I’ve got one, never used it yet as I always charge at DC chargers which are always tethered. Hope this helps, ask any further questions if required pal.
g

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Gogs is spot on. A number of us have been through this learning curve and once you understand it it’s pretty easy. I think we really need a FAQ section that covers the intro into EV stuff. I even suggested my dealer had a guide to give out as they were equally on a learning curve.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s really not that difficult once you get the car and play about at different chargers. Basically the more KW at a charger the faster you will charge. DC is fastest, because your car battery’s are DC and the car does not need to convert AC to DC. To confuse things, did you know that the motors on a Taycan are AC! That means the car is inverting the DC from the battery to AC! Just thought I’d confuse the situation!! Lol

OP
OP

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the info but I still think there is clarification required.

At home I will install standard 7.2Kw home charger single phase probably an EO mini pro. (untethered)

At work where I park there are 22kw public charges (untethered)

From what I've read a single phase cable will not charge at speeds above 7.2KW, i.e for a 22kw charger or in the taycan case won't charge at 22kw but only 11kw speed.

To charge at 11 or 22kw speed you need a 3 phase cable.

Sites like this seem to confirm that with single phase showing 7.2kw and 3 phase showng 22kw speeds?

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/type-2-cables

So I think I need to buy a single 3 phase cable to use for home and work, to charge at 7.2kw at home and max 11kw at work. That's what I'd like to confirm.

hope that makes sense.

Has anyone got any cable recommendations or are all the online sellers pretty much the same?

thanks for the help

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the info but I still thing there is clarification required.

At home I will install standard 7.2Kw home charger single phase probably an EO mini pro. (untethered)

From what I've read a single phase cable will not charge at speeds above 7.2KW, i.e for a 22kw charger or in the tacan case won't charge at 11kw but only 7.2kw speed.

Sites like this seem to confirm that with single phase showing 7.2kw and 3 phase showng 22kw speeds?

So I think I need to buy a single 3 phase cable to use for home and work, to charge at 7.2kw at home and max 11kw at work. That's what I'd like to confirm.

hope that makes sense.

Has anyone got any cable recommendations or are all the online sellers pretty much the same?

thanks for the help
No, for both situations you need a type 2 cable like the following link. At home, single phase 7.2kw, at work 11kw, because the car is only capable of 11kw when charging off AC.

DC is different, you’ll charge at the max the charger will give up to the max the car can handle depending on your current state of charge.

https://www.4ev.co.uk/5-metre-32-am...V1eF3Ch3EuAh5EAQYASABEgIyVfD_BwE#anchor-22517

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Yep, just a standard type 2 cable. The Porsche option one will do everything you want. Single phase, 3 phase whatever you need. But there are cheaper options which quote phases because of their current carrying capacity which is obviously linked to the supply type.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As long as it’s 32 Amp your good to go in all uk AC public charging points. There are many manufacturers, I’d always suggest going with a quality product, especially if your going to use it daily at your office location as suggested.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Thanks for the info but I still think there is clarification required.

From what I've read a single phase cable will not charge at speeds above 7.2KW, i.e for a 22kw charger or in the taycan case won't charge at 22kw but only 11kw speed.

hope that makes sense.

thanks for the help
You are correct. I just added the Porsche one on to my order for £210 which is suitable for both single and 3 phase use.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3 RS, 718 Spyder and Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I dont know if anyone can clarify this.

Ive ordered a 3-phase Andersen charger for my Taycan for my home charging as I have 3-phase. Am I right in saying I wont see any advantage of this unless I order the car with the 22kW on-board AC charger?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I dont know if anyone can clarify this.

Ive ordered a 3-phase Andersen charger for my Taycan for my home charging as I have 3-phase. Am I right in saying I wont see any advantage of this unless I order the car with the 22kW on-board AC charger?
I think you will be fine with a three phase installation. You should be able to charge at 11 kW with the standard charger in the car. It easily charges over night.

Of course 22 kW would be quicker to charge if you need faster charging over night, but I have a 11 kW installation and it is really good to charge over night.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3 RS, 718 Spyder and Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think you will be fine with a three phase installation. You should be able to charge at 11 kW with the standard charger in the car. It easily charges over night.

Of course 22 kW would be quicker to charge if you need faster charging over night, but I have a 11 kW installation and it is really good to charge over night.
How long do you find your car takes to charge?

My spec is still changeable but ive also read that the 22kW on-board can only be added for December build cars and mines due to be delivered in December
Sponsored