Slip, Sliding, Away - DO NOT LEAVE YOUR TAYCAN ON AN INCLINE ON SNOW...... BAD DAY AT THE OFFICE PT2

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry to hear/see this.
Looking at the incline of the drive it looks fairly steep, I'm surprised the Taycan wasn't slipping down it when you were parking up to start with or perhaps the pic makes the incline look worse?
Coming from a few Cayenne's and the weight of them similar to the Taycan it was also crap in the snow/ice, they are just too heavy and would slide in steep inclines, I had the cayenne slide in my driveway with a relatively shallow incline once due to snow and tyres sliding - lucky for me it slid a few metres but didn't hit anything.

Would winter tyres have made any difference in this instance if the wheels slid due to the weight of the car?
Sponsored

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
My best guess is that your summer tires were more likely to cause the problem than the handbrake failing. Remember that the car is VERY heavy.

On my drive to work there is an area with a small incline - nothing fancy, see the picture. In a particularly cold winter stretch when no amount of salt could melt the ice, my winter-tire equipped AWD Tesla P85D refused to come to full stop, and continued to slide until I got into the crossroad on flat surface..... My take home message was that a very heavy car + slippery surface are no match for any AWD and winter tires - I guess that's why on "Ice-road truckers" they get chains..... I can only imagine what summer tires would do to you.

Porsche Taycan Slip, Sliding, Away - DO NOT LEAVE YOUR TAYCAN ON AN INCLINE ON SNOW...... BAD DAY AT THE OFFICE PT2 1609288316387

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
So after having the AA fix my Taycan (12v battery flat) very quickly and efficiently and thanking them for it...

I went over to my Mother's house to visit (we are in an extended bubble).

Parked in the drive. In Park, handbrake light on and powered off.

Went in.

Couple of minutes later.

Heard alarm.

Parked Taycan slipped down the drive and into the back of my Mother's car.

IMG_2678.jpg

This photo shows where the Taycan was parked.

IMG_2696.jpg

So it moved from that parking spot all the way down the drive.

"Let's be careful out there" as they say in Hill Street Blues.

Car at Porsche Glasgow. Call in to Porsche UK.
Peter,
First I am so sorry. Glad all are safe. Martin good to hear you are well also from your thread today.

Reading the US manual page 239 highlighted green Danger of vehicle rolling away. Highlighted red Electric parking brake deactivated.

So far these are the only two warnings or mentions of gradient or hill parking scenarios with possible failures.

Porsche Taycan Slip, Sliding, Away - DO NOT LEAVE YOUR TAYCAN ON AN INCLINE ON SNOW...... BAD DAY AT THE OFFICE PT2 41D06FD2-C01C-4CFD-9F4D-A017D7274E00

Valerian

First Name
Valerian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Likely the tires cooled some after sitting, and the longer they sit the harder they are getting. Eventually 2+ ton car will start sliding. Since sliding friction is less than static friction, it's not going to slow down until it hits something.

If it was faulty parking brakes, then it wouldn't have waiting until now to start happening, we'd have crashed Taycans all over....
Sorry to hear about these two cases which both appear to be in the UK in slight snow when parked on an incline. As a fellow UK Taycan owner I just wanted to check that the only way to engage the parking brake is to press the Park button? Is that the case?

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992.1 Turbo S, '20 Taycan Turbo, 997.2 GT3, E39 M5
Country flag
Sorry to hear about these two cases which both appear to be in the UK in slight snow when parked on an incline. As a fellow UK Taycan owner I just wanted to check that the only way to engage the parking brake is to press the Park button? Is that the case?
What I gather from reading the manual is that there are differences between the “Parking Lock” and the ”Electric Parking Brake.” My understanding is that the Parking Lock is with the electric motor, which is susceptible to rolling. And the “Parking Brake” which is only activated by pressing the “P” is the mechanical brake on the rotor.

Thus, if you go from “D” to “Power Button” then exit vehicle, the “Parking Lock” is activated, but the “Electric Parking Brake“ is not.

If you go from “D” to “P” to “Power Button” then exit vehicle, the “Parking Lock and Parking Brake“ are activated.

That’s how I’m reading the text.

Then there are exceptions like gradient greater than 8 degrees, seat belts, and door position when in “D” etc etc.

Valerian

First Name
Valerian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What I gather from reading the manual is that there are differences between the “Parking Lock” and the ”Electric Parking Brake.” My understanding is that the Parking Lock is with the electric motor, which is susceptible to rolling. And the “Parking Brake” which is only activated by pressing the “P” is the mechanical brake on the rotor.

Thus, if you go from “D” to “Power Button” then exit vehicle, the “Parking Lock” is activated, but the “Electric Parking Brake“ is not.

If you go from “D” to “P” to “Power Button” then exit vehicle, the “Parking Lock and Parking Brake“ are activated.

That’s how I’m reading the text.

Then there are exceptions like gradient greater than 8 degrees, seat belts, and door position when in “D” etc etc.
Thanks. That was my understanding and I do engage P before switching the car off.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Parked in the drive. In Park, handbrake light on and powered off.

So it moved from that parking spot all the way down the drive.
Wow! Based on the tracks and damage, I would conclude the car rolled down, ergo breaking failure.

OP
OP
Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 2S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
So Porsche UK confirmed today no brake failure. I have asked for diagnosis from time before crash. I now have to discuss with OPC Glasgow. Porsche not taking it seriously despite me confirming we have had all types of cars on that incline over decades without slipping and crashing

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
What? THIS again? Is this a "UK thing?"

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Sliding tires can create clean verticle lines.
Not with horizontal tread bars "printed" between them (as it appears)...

From the picture it really does look like the car rolled. It’s almost like it started sliding, and the ABS kicked in and the tires started turning a little bit.
...and ABS isn't "a thing" when parked....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What? THIS again? Is this a "UK thing?"

Not with horizontal tread bars "printed" between them (as it appears)...

...and ABS isn't "a thing" when parked....
Just an update. Would be unlucky to have 2 incidents. I only have 1 Taycan

OP
OP
Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you drive around on snow with summer tires enough, you'll have a second incident.
Thanks -that's sage advice and really thanks for your concern. Do you recommend any winter tires in particular?

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag