Slip, Sliding, Away - DO NOT LEAVE YOUR TAYCAN ON AN INCLINE ON SNOW...... BAD DAY AT THE OFFICE PT2

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Thanks. That was my understanding and I do engage P before switching the car off.
I was messing around after I parked up this morning, thankfully on the flat, trying to get a photo of power meter & battery temp etc. In park it didn't show, so put into D and Hold to see if that worked. Obviously it didn't so I decided it wasn't important, then if I remember correctly I put it in N (no idea why now) and switched the car off. Clearly that change to my usual routine totally messed up my thought process as I always, well nearly always now, put it in Park.

When I opened the door I felt the car rock slightly, which was concerning and I was sure I'd never noticed that before. Having re-read those instructions above I'm sure that's what I fell foul of.

That doesn't help a great deal with this investigation but even on the flat I wouldn't want to do that again.

I do think that if anyone had done that by mistake when parking on an incline, they'd probably notice the car move/rock as they were getting out.
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks -that's sage advice and really thanks for your concern. Do you recommend any winter tires in particular?
You don't necessarily need snow tires, depending on your local weather. If you only get occasional snow, then all-season (M+S) tires will work. Pretty much anything other than summer performance tires works if temps go below 45F.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I have been running the Pirelli Elect P Zero Winter for three months. Great in the snow and cold on the Taycan. Usually run a Michelin winter tire on other cars not offered for Taycan.
Same here. Good tire I think! Very quiet and comfortable. Good traction (dry, wet and snow). Impressed so far...

(My Model-X has Scorpions and my Truck has Blizzaks. My M4 has Hoosier R7 race slicks so....)

glasair2s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
So Porsche UK confirmed today no brake failure. I have asked for diagnosis from time before crash. I now have to discuss with OPC Glasgow. Porsche not taking it seriously despite me confirming we have had all types of cars on that incline over decades without slipping and crashing
Hi, Peter, I didn't read all comments yet in this topic. But I'm wondering if you had any feedbacks from your Porsche dealer, since I experienced this very scary occurrence as well today.

I guess we all are facing an extreme serious issue and if not already all Taycan owner must be urgently / immediately warned to not park the car on any incline, winter or any other season!

In fact today around 12h00 (Swiss time) my car was parked on an incline (I didn't mesure the %) but probably 7%. Parking spot was covered with fresh snow (no ice) so normally with a good grip. So no discussion about any slipping. Next to my car was a WV transporter, not light as well.

My car is equipped with brand new winter tires recommended and installed by Porsche.

Suddenly after approximately 12-15 min after having engaged the "P", the car moved backwards. At that exact moment I was just behind, preparing myself for a ski tour. Lucky me, the car was stopped by my backpack who on the ground.

Outside temperature 1°c.

Best regards,
Werner

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Suddenly after approximately 12-15 min after having engaged the "P", the car moved backwards. At that exact moment I was just behind, preparing myself for a ski tour. Lucky me, the car was stopped by my backpack who on the ground.

Outside temperature 1°c.
I hope you will report the your dealer and have them check the car out. If they cannot find the problem, I hope you push them to report to Porsche.

glasair2s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
How many people who had this problem have the PSCB or ceramic brakes?
I have PSCB. But I don't think brake type make any difference.
Anyways, till there is any feedback from Porsche, I will avoid parking on inclines and buy a pair of chocks... seems silly for a car of that price!

glasair2s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I hope you will report the your dealer and have them check the car out. If they cannot find the problem, I hope you push them to report to Porsche.
Already reported to my Geneva Porsche dealer. They are warned of that major safety issue, and the ball is now on their side to act. The only thing I can say is to be very careful and probably put wheel chocks in place if parked on a slope. That's what I will do now. Was really really scary believe me !!!

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
Hi, Peter, I didn't read all comments yet in this topic. But I'm wondering if you had any feedbacks from your Porsche dealer, since I experienced this very scary occurrence as well today.

I guess we all are facing an extreme serious issue and if not already all Taycan owner must be urgently / immediately warned to not park the car on any incline, winter or any other season!

In fact today around 12h00 (Swiss time) my car was parked on an incline (I didn't mesure the %) but probably 7%. Parking spot was covered with fresh snow (no ice) so normally with a good grip. So no discussion about any slipping. Next to my car was a WV transporter, not light as well.

My car is equipped with brand new winter tires recommended and installed by Porsche.

Outside temperature 1°c.

Best regards,
Werner
Hi Werner, have you notice if the car slip without any rotation of the wheels or not?
Thank you

glasair2s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi Werner, have you notice if the car slip without any rotation of the wheels or not?
Thank you
Hi Peter, can’t confirm that since I was behind the trunk. There were other cars on each side and a lot of people watching + trafic behind. But I’m almost sure the cars was not sliding, on my left was camper, heavy as well. Attached a picture of the place with the camper still in place. The occurrence was now raised by my dealer in Geneva to Porsche. Krgds
Porsche Taycan Slip, Sliding, Away - DO NOT LEAVE YOUR TAYCAN ON AN INCLINE ON SNOW...... BAD DAY AT THE OFFICE PT2 ED526706-E7F2-4ADA-8FA5-2D925DB8AB1F

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992.1 Turbo S, '20 Taycan Turbo, 997.2 GT3, E39 M5
Country flag
Sorry to hear this! Thanks for the heads up guys.

Is there any way we can try to reproduce the slide away in a safe manor? and video tape? I would try here in Boston, but there isn’t any snow.

glasair2s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Sorry to hear this! Thanks for the heads up guys.

Is there any way we can try to reproduce the slide away in a safe manor? and video tape? I would try here in Boston, but there isn’t any snow.
I may try next Saturday at same place, weather forecast looks to be the same, maybe 1°C warmer.

Will buy 4 wheel chocks place them 10cm behind each wheel and see what happens + a GoPro next to aft wheel.

putty_thing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e39 M5
Country flag
It seems pretty suspect the same thing seems to have happened to a few different people now.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate it for the greater good, and good luck with the experiment!

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have PSCB. But I don't think brake type make any difference.
Anyways, till there is any feedback from Porsche, I will avoid parking on inclines and buy a pair of chocks... seems silly for a car of that price!
AS noted in another thread or on this one, don't recall, there may be an issue where there is a very thin layer of ice build up on the pads, which would affect the clamp down force on the rotor as the parking brake... since we don't use the pad often to heat them up, ice could build up and the friction needed between the pads and the rotors are not enough to keep the car from rolling... it could be that the PSCB or the ceramics have even enough less friction when cold so it would be interesting to see the people whom this has affected them their brake type.
Sponsored