First Name
Magnus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne S, Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello Everyone,

I received my new Taycan around a week ago and charging has been an issue so I'm wondering if anyone can help. At level 2 charging stations, it's only been getting around 3kW/h, roughly 0.4km/min or 0.25miles/min. I've tried plugging the car at my friends' garage where he usually gets 9kw/H on his hybrid panamera and I still end up with only around 3kW/h.

Is there something wrong with my car? I can't tell what's wrong because there are not a lot of settings I can play with.

Any help will be appreciated! Many thanks in advance, have been frustrated with this in addition to the radio stations not always working but I've accepted that fact already.

EDIT: Thanks Jeremy for pointing it out! It's around 6kW/h, how do I get the last 3kW? Or at least to 8kW/h?

Porsche Taycan Slow charging speed help please IMG_0520.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Tap the number to display kW instead of km/min.

Looks closer to 5kW to me.

OP
OP
magnusch

magnusch

First Name
Magnus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks Jeremy! You're right! It's around 5.9. How do I get the last 3kW/h? Or is it not possible... :facepalm:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s the kW at the battery. The 9.6kW will be at the EVSE. There will always be some losses. Expect something closer to 8.7kW or so at the car if the EVSE is 9.6 kW.

Do the EVSEs you use have any display for current? Do you know what voltage they are running on?

There are no setting in the car to adjust this.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
As a point of reference my car charges at 8.9-9.0 kW using my PMC+ at home. It’s on a 50A circuit.

OP
OP
magnusch

magnusch

First Name
Magnus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, It's a public charger so it's one of those machines that only have a plug and no display.

Are all level 2 supposed to charge at around 8.7kW? My apologies for my lack of understanding of battery physics....

Porsche Taycan Slow charging speed help please IMG_0522.PNG

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are all level 2 supposed to charge at around 8.7kW?
It depends on the specific voltage (generally around 240VAC) and the current.

Power (kW) is volts time current (for single phase).

So, if you have 40A @ 240VAC, that will be 9.6kW at the EVSE and then slightly less at your battery after losses.

But if it’s 24A instead of 40, then you have 5.7kW at the EVSE (and again, less at the battery).

Changes to voltage level will affect it as well. If you only have 230VAC, then the power will be less.

So, L2 EVSE power will vary. And some also have adjustable current limits.

There’s a charging calculator here also, if that helps you any:

Taycan Charging Calculator

Reactions: B61

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, It's a public charger so it's one of those machines that only have a plug and no display.

Are all level 2 supposed to charge at around 8.7kW? My apologies for my lack of understanding of battery physics....

IMG_0522.PNG
short answer is no

public L2 charging can range from 1.44 kw raw power to 19.2 kw - common is about 6 kw (80% of public chargers - 208v @ 30 amps = 6,000 watts or 6 kW - 30 amp installs are fairly common/easy/affordable for public chargers - and 208V is common commercial/business grade North American Power) - L2 means it is 208/240 volts -not that it is 9.6 kw

your car is fine - the chargers you are using are slow L2 chargers (below average) but not out of line with expectations

L2 has a wide range of possible power output - you are simply encountering that range and have found the lower end.

Last edited: