So based on the new EPA "Range" are you cancelling?

Are you going to cancel your Taycan Order?

• Total voters
OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Yes, please, all of you should panic, run away and cancel your orders. That will move me up in the queue. I'll get mine sooner if you'll all get out of my way. Thanks, I really do appreciate it. I'll wave from my Taycan to you in your Chevy Bolt (a fine little car with lots of range). Seriously, I expect we haven't heard the last of this. Porsche thinks the numbers are wrong, and they are fighting for independent verification. Good. But still... regardless of what the [now-corrupt] EPA says, I'm still buying a Taycan. Soon. I hope. Have you all cancelled yet? <taps foot impatiently>
Hahah post of the day :)

Not yet..I have until Thursday next week to decide!
Sponsored

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
It isn't about being brave, it is about thinking for myself about what I want.
Actually, I think it is very brave that so many people are buying a car without seeing or driving it. I trust Porsche truly has an amazing vehicle, but nevertheless, I want to drive the vehicle first, to see if it gives me the pleasure of $140k dollar 4S I have configured, and compare the driving of the 4S to the Turbo and Turbo S. Even though I paid my deposit in January 2019, I have no intention of ordering the vehicle until I drive all three models. Or maybe I can buy a condo in Thailand in 2020 which my Thai wife wants, and buy a used Turbo S for $110k in two years....:CWL::CWL:

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
Actually, I think it is very brave that so many people are buying a car without seeing or driving it. I trust Porsche truly has an amazing vehicle, but nevertheless, I want to drive the vehicle first, to see if it gives me the pleasure of $140k dollar 4S I have configured, and compare the driving of the 4S to the Turbo and Turbo S. Even though I paid my deposit in January 2019, I have no intention of ordering the vehicle until I drive all three models. Or maybe I can buy a condo in Thailand in 2020 which my Thai wife wants, and buy a used Turbo S for $110k in two years....:CWL::CWL:
I have ordered my Taycan 4S but I am disappointed in the range. I do have multiple cars, so I could always switch off, but, you drive a Porsche for the DRIVE, and to have a limited range knowing that the harder you drive/enjoy the car, the more often you have to stop. You just have to plan and hope that your drive has a charger in the area. The bigger issue is, I did not want to spend too much on options and I did not even get the performance options, yet my Taycan 4S is $150k. I would love to know how you kept your Porsche to $140k?

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
We should also consider the following as we might think range is not so important because of this so called “ electrify America” answer:

Audi etron owners are disappointed, as usual, media doesn’t want to bash their paying advertisers:

Audi e-tron Owner May Wish He'd Chosen A Tesla Due To Charging Issues

Here’s a link to the audi forum with first hand experience in etron failures:

Charging Failure - AudiWorld Forums

Parts take 4 weeks to replace.

Road Trip Aborted - Disappointing - AudiWorld Forums

Their customers are relying on PlugShare charging rate of 20 miles per hour.

Locked charge port door solution and another terrible holiday trip failure by Audi/EA - AudiWorld Forums

No wonder etron sales have been low, their customers still suffer from major range anxiety, this one is waiting for the Taycan lol.

Waiting for the Taycan because the e-tron's EPA sucks? The wait is over! - AudiWorld Forums

Audi’s battery degradation problems:

Car suddenly has half the normal range - AudiWorld Forums

The day I started using the a/c it chopped the range in half.

Instant range disappearance, battery modules? - AudiWorld Forums

More battery problems.

gradual loss of range - AudiWorld Forums

We've had our e-Tron (Edition One) for over 6 months now. Initially range was fine - pretty near the advertised 200ish mile range - and pretty consistent. Over the last month or two we've seen range gradually go lower and it is now ~30% less than when new. Driving style is the same - split between freeway usage (but not long distances) and around town (low/mid speeds). The primary change has been the weather is colder. We are in Northern California, so it's not that cold.

No over the air updates?

Over-the-air updates? - AudiWorld Forums

There are no over the air software updates. Only map updates. The rumor mill indeed said there will be some additional features available if you pay for them that would get activated over the air. No idea when those are going live.

No OTA updates except Maps, no additional function purchases even though it was supposed to launch mid 2019. MMI is buggy as hell and Audi in the US can’t answer when a software update will be available nor do they have any clue what you’re talking about when asking for a launch date on additional functions.

Maybe they should’ve hidden the damn purchases menu until it was ready to launch. I’ve complained to the dealer and Audi of America multiple times over all the issues and they just try and blame each other. They’re living under a rock!

lots of Bugs in Audi software and looks confusing:

MMI Software Version - AudiWorld Forums

Given the number of issues people are experiencing with MMI buggyness I thought this could be a good place to post our software versions. If versions are different then it's time to go to the dealer and demand a software update

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Not cancelling. The AMCI actual driving test is according to what I'd expect. I believe the EPA test is pretty useless. Of course if you drive it hard, you'll get lower range, even lower than EPA. But the AMCI test wasn't especially slow driving, it included driving over the speed limit on a highway.

One must understand that with electric cars getting somewhere the fastest on longer trips might sometimes involve driving a bit slower than you're used to. In order to avoid some unideal charging stop. That is simply how it is. Buying any current electric car, you're simply going to have to get used to this.

This will still allow you to drive it hard on most occasions when range isn't crucial. And if your use case is mostly longer trips and the charging network is questionable - then perhaps the Taycan isn't right for you. Perhaps no electric car is yet.

The longest route I drive semi-regularly is actually 180 miles, so I'm not worried about this. Other routes are even shorter. And most of my driving will be in the city area. Also the charging network is pretty good in Finland & improving constantly, so not worried about the roadtrips either. Additionally the closest major highway is actually long ways off from here, all routes from here include slower & smaller roads where the car is naturally more efficient.

Finally I expect the Taycan to be more efficient relatively in cold weather & at high speeds than any other EV in the market. So even though base range isn't brilliant, it'll retain a larger % of it in unideal conditions than other cars.

Still, I look forward to more real life driving tests. But the AMCI is what I expected and nothing unusual. I think the EPA test simply doesn't reflect reality, for some reason it's not very suitable for the car. The brake regeneration as mentioned somewhere is a possibility, remember that Taycan has by far the most efficient brake regeneration of any EV.

Dawse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
Green Car Reports has posted the most detailed analysis I've seen yet from a genuine journalist test drive, of the range they achieved while testing the 4S in California, first for an aggressive driving period and then a slower one. Key quote below and then a link. It looks ok to me and helps remove any anxiety on my part.

"According to the trip meter for the LA portion of the drive—until we pulled up to the charger—we averaged 44.7 kwh per 100 miles (and 29 mph) over 116.3 miles, which suggests a range short of 200 miles during a drive that was aggressive, over mountain roads, and including multiple full-acceleration runs. After charging, for a driving stint that was mostly a low-speed freeway creep back to a staging area in downtown LA, we averaged 34.7 kwh per 100 miles (and 22 mph) over 13.6 miles. That stint suggested in the vicinity of 250 miles on a full charge."

And here's the link https://www.greencarreports.com/new...riences-from-california-canyons-to-the-arctic

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The EPA range is a work of fiction. Even Ben Sullins of the TeslaEconomics YouTube channel, a well known Tesla Fan Boy, posted a real world range much higher than 201 miles. Jonny from the Fully Charged review posted 34 kWh per 100 miles which equates to 246 miles.

You will forgive me but I think the EPA is obviously US biased in its publicised range data, favouring the likes of Tesla by publishing ranges for them that are completely unachievable. I am going to stick with the Porsche/AMIC/WLTP range figures and my order for a Taycan stays.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
The EPA range is a work of fiction. Even Ben Sullins of the TeslaEconomics YouTube channel, a well known Tesla Fan Boy, posted a real world range much higher than 201 miles. Jonny from the Fully Charged review posted 34 kWh per 100 miles which equates to 246 miles.

You will forgive me but I think the EPA is obviously US biased in its publicised range data, favouring the likes of Tesla by publishing ranges for them that are completely unachievable. I am going to stick with the Porsche/AMIC/WLTP range figures and my order for a Taycan stays.
Here is a Tesla FanBoy review of the Taycan. Very good objective review. Check out 8:27 and 14:33 and 16;40 or just watch the whole thing:
https://teslanomics.co/uploader/teslanomics/

But he with Teslarati tested a Taycan in Southern California. Even Rode it hard and in the mountains. He estimated range on their all day trip for the vehicle to have a range of 268 miles (actual measurement). Finally an objective review that is not a Porsche fan but is very objective, especially since he obviously is a big time Tesla fan. Like me, loves both, and exactly points out they are different kinds of cars.

(and those cancelling on this poll are the same ones that have been trolling this website since before the reveal in September....LOL.....:CWL::CWL::CWL: and regulars on the forum know who they are.)

Last edited:

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
I'm still OK w/the range.......as it would be adequate for my intended use.
If I cancel my #2 slot it will be because the Taycan body differs so significantly from the Mission E body.

Mike V

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
918, Taycan GTS ST, Tesla Model S P100D
Country flag
We should also consider the following as we might think range is not so important because of this so called “ electrify America” answer:

Audi etron owners are disappointed, as usual, media doesn’t want to bash their paying advertisers:

I selected one of the most disturbing above quoted threads to read. I'm NOT alarmed by the actual content after reading through it.

The reason for the markedly reduced range had nothing to do with A/C use. It was caused by a battery module failure which was addressed by Audi service.

Really not a mysterious designed-in problem, but an (unwelcome) equipment "infant mortality" failure.

Doesn't worry me one little bit.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I think that the poll should have more options, for those of us who are considering buying a Porsche BEV but haven't put a deposit down yet. I'm somewhat skeptical that the 4S will have such poor range, given some test drives posted online in the past week; if a 4S driver doesn't pretend that he's at the race track, the figures in city driving should be closer to 250 miles range on a full charge. So the range doesn't really affect my decision much. I don't think most Taycan owners will drive their cars more than 100-150 miles from home, anyway, so the given range shouldn't be a factor. I can't see getting a Taycan for long-distance driving.

My decision to wait is based on the fact that I don't want just a 4-door sedan but rather a hatchback, and I'm waiting for the Cross Turismo and the Macan BEV to come out. Also, I'm a bit leery of getting something like the Taycan the first year it's out simply because this is new territory for Porsche, and I'd rather watch to see what problems the Taycan will have the first year, and hope that they are ironed out by the second or third year. After all, the e-tron has had its share of problems.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

Audi e-tron Owner May Wish He'd Chosen A Tesla Due To Charging Issues

Here’s a link to the audi forum with first hand experience in etron failures:

Charging Failure - AudiWorld Forums

Parts take 4 weeks to replace.

Road Trip Aborted - Disappointing - AudiWorld Forums

Their customers are relying on PlugShare charging rate of 20 miles per hour.

Locked charge port door solution and another terrible holiday trip failure by Audi/EA - AudiWorld Forums

No wonder etron sales have been low, their customers still suffer from major range anxiety, this one is waiting for the Taycan lol.

Waiting for the Taycan because the e-tron's EPA sucks? The wait is over! - AudiWorld Forums

Instant range disappearance, battery modules? - AudiWorld Forums

More battery problems.

gradual loss of range - AudiWorld Forums

We've had our e-Tron (Edition One) for over 6 months now. Initially range was fine - pretty near the advertised 200ish mile range - and pretty consistent. Over the last month or two we've seen range gradually go lower and it is now ~30% less than when new. Driving style is the same - split between freeway usage (but not long distances) and around town (low/mid speeds). The primary change has been the weather is colder. We are in Northern California, so it's not that cold.

No over the air updates?

Over-the-air updates? - AudiWorld Forums

There are no over the air software updates. Only map updates. The rumor mill indeed said there will be some additional features available if you pay for them that would get activated over the air. No idea when those are going live.

No OTA updates except Maps, no additional function purchases even though it was supposed to launch mid 2019. MMI is buggy as hell and Audi in the US can’t answer when a software update will be available nor do they have any clue what you’re talking about when asking for a launch date on additional functions.

Maybe they should’ve hidden the damn purchases menu until it was ready to launch. I’ve complained to the dealer and Audi of America multiple times over all the issues and they just try and blame each other. They’re living under a rock!

lots of Bugs in Audi software and looks confusing:

MMI Software Version - AudiWorld Forums

Given the number of issues people are experiencing with MMI buggyness I thought this could be a good place to post our software versions. If versions are different then it's time to go to the dealer and demand a software update
The internet doesn't usually state the greatness of a car on their forums.
For that matter, no one would ever buy a Tesla if you read all the individual problems posted on forums.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Am I cancelling?
Hell no!

Btw, maybe the poll should include area as these range figures are more related to bigger countries like US etc.
I'm curious if any European has cancelled their order...

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Am I cancelling?
Hell no!

Btw, maybe the poll should include area as these range figures are more related to bigger countries like US etc.
I'm curious if any European has cancelled their order...
The range would be the same where ever in the world you are! EU or US or Asia...the weather and temperatures will obviously make a difference but the car is the same so I don’t think adding a country makes any difference to this poll.
Sponsored