So based on the new EPA "Range" are you cancelling?

Are you going to cancel your Taycan Order?

• Total voters

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Please provide a source for this information as Porsche GB know nothing about it and have said they cannot provide this in writing...they said the Jalponik article cannot be verified.
just an hypothesis..... :)
Sponsored

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At the UK launch event last week the Porsche GB Product Technician told us to expect a mixed use range of 180 miles max on a 4S with Performance Battery Pack. His exact words!
we'll see...……. :)

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
we'll see...……. :)
You will :) Based on this I and another 3 of my friends are now all "out"

It's a lovely car no doubt and I hope to buy one once we have more clarity on what the car is capable of performance and efficiency wise but my dealer wanted me to lock down my spec by the end of this week and I declined to so will take a later slot once there is more clarity. From my previous posts you will see that I was extremely keen on this car but to hear that from the Porsche Technician himself really threw me back!

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You will :) Based on this I and another 3 of my friends are now all "out"

It's a lovely car no doubt and I hope to buy one once we have more clarity on what the car is capable of performance and efficiency wise but my dealer wanted me to lock down my spec by the end of this week and I declined to so will take a later slot once there is more clarity. From my previous posts you will see that I was extremely keen on this car but to hear that from the Porsche Technician himself really threw me back!
Completely understand. But am hearing soooo many different stories from Porsche people as well as journalists as well as others that have driven the car that I believe the right answer is somewhere in the middle. And that coupled with the fast 800V 270kw charging i am confident I’ll be happy. When I take my Tesla MX to Scandinavia every summer from Switzerland I never get
More than about 250kms to a reasonable charge anyways driving Porsche fast..... I’ll lease the first one and trade up to newer battery tech when available.

Last edited:

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
At the UK launch event last week the Porsche GB Product Technician told us to expect a mixed use range of 180 miles max on a 4S with Performance Battery Pack. His exact words!
Yes, but he was referring to the Performance battery pack, not the Performance Battery Plus. The Plus pack has a usable 83.7 kWh capacity where the Performance only has 71 kWh, a 12.7 kWh difference. From my experience, I would suggest that it would be unwise to compromise on battery size unless you just intend going down the shops in your Taycan.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
The Plus pack has a usable 83.7 kWh capacity where the Performance only has 71 kWh, a 12.7 kWh difference.
In other words, if we assume a simple linear model, we get an increase of 180 miles * 12.7/71 = +18% respectively 32 miles, resulting in 212 miles total.

Cheers,
Henrik

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Yes, but he was referring to the Performance battery pack, not the Performance Battery Plus. The Plus pack has a usable 83.7 kWh capacity where the Performance only has 71 kWh, a 12.7 kWh difference. From my experience, I would suggest that it would be unwise to compromise on battery size unless you just intend going down the shops in your Taycan.
Not quite...I specifically asked if he was referring to the battery plus pack and he said “yes” think 180 miles real world and you won’t be disappointed.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Not quite...I specifically asked if he was referring to the battery plus pack and he said “yes” think 180 miles real world and you won’t be disappointed.
Sounds like he is hedging his bets.

As with fossil fuel cars, you can vary the range enormously with your driving style, temperature, terrain and weather conditions. I have a Tesla Model S P100D and its real world range varies enormously. It has a 98 kWh usable battery capacity and a very similar performance to the Taycan, certainly in terms of straight line acceleration. However, the Taycan (I believe) is more efficient than the Tesla if driven at a constant speed so I think the range will be about the same.

In Summer, driving through France on the toll motorways at 70 mph, my P100D will do a maximum of 280 miles (EPA range is 315 miles). However, I never drive like that because it is tedious. If I drive at the speed limit at 81 mph it will do about 208 miles with a 10% margin. In Winter, it is about 25% less as it is with all electric cars (and very likely all ICE cars). The most damaging factor is short journeys where the car is starting with a cold battery which it then warms up, repeatedly.

My point is, a salesman can tell you that the car has a real world 180 mile range, but he has given you absolutely no context for telling you that and probably has no real experience of living with an EV. I am absolutely certain I will be able to do much more than 180 miles in the Taycan and also a lot less! My Taycan will be my only car, I won't own anything else but then I have not owned an ICE since 2015!

Owning an EV requires that your long journeys will need a bit more planning and will take longer. Journeys within the range of the car are a doddle because you will charge at home and wake up with a full tank every morning. If you think that is not for you then stick with your ICE. But that's a shame because you are missing out on what is a unique driving experience that keeps on giving.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
As I’ve said before I believe the range will be higher than the 201 EPA and certainly more than the 180
I’ve got a 4s and Etron on order and the 4s will obviously have a better range than the Etron’s 200m ish

realistically I’m expecting 220min and 280max so as long as it’s in that range I’ll be happy, but I’m also aware that even if it has a 220m range it can only be driven 90% as any more and I’d risk running out of battery

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
As I’ve said before I believe the range will be higher than the 201 EPA and certainly more than the 180
I’ve got a 4s and Etron on order and the 4s will obviously have a better range than the Etron’s 200m ish

realistically I’m expecting 220min and 280max so as long as it’s in that range I’ll be happy, but I’m also aware that even if it has a 220m range it can only be driven 90% as any more and I’d risk running out of battery
Range is a very nebulous and variable thing as I said before but the maximum is pretty irrelevant. To give a UK based example, my present Tesla can drive to Land's End from Portsmouth, a distance of 251 miles. However, I would never do that for the following reasons:-

1. It would be incredibly tedious.
2. Its not the quickest way of getting there.
3. The car really would nearly be empty by the time we got there.
3. I have just checked and the Ecotricity chargers at Land's End Visitor Centre are still broken.

We have found that driving at a reasonable pace and stopping every 150 miles is quicker than "hypermiling". Charge to about 70% to stay in the sweet spot of charging speed which is barely enough time to work to the toilets and back.

Jaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche - several
Country flag
Whats all the fuss about - -I drove the turbo and yes it consumes if you're hard on it, but 99% of us will drive within range of our homes in US and have a fast charger in garage? No big deal. Then when taking a bit of a road trip map out Electrify America fast chargers and grab a coffee for 20 Min. Done. The car is crazy good; fun and fast. Feel was between a 992 and Pana. I have both.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I still am going to get the Taycan, but I am definitely nervous about the range. I live in the Denver area and have been mapping out my common routes. I often drive to the mountains and back which is anywhere from 150 to 400 miles roundtrip. Plus the routes have a lot of elevation gain and the temps will often be cold. There is one fast-charging station on most of those routes. A lot of the hotels where I stay don't have a level 2 charger or even a place to plug into a standard AC outlet. Some of my friends with Teslas have had some close calls on range going to and from the mountains due to some of these issues.

As such, it is going to be pretty sketchy in the short run, especially if that one station goes down or is really busy. There have been articles in the paper saying they are going to put up a few more fast-charging stations on these routes. Just adding say 2 more on the main routes to the mountains would make all the difference in the world. I will probably borrow my wife's car for the longer trips in the short run, but I hope that the charging network gets built out.

Bottom line is that I am going for it but my fingers are crossed that the charging network develops quickly. Worst case I will be driving the Subaru and my wife will be driving the Porsche much of the time. Could be a good deal for her! ;)

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
I still am going to get the Taycan, but I am definitely nervous about the range. I live in the Denver area and have been mapping out my common routes. I often drive to the mountains and back which is anywhere from 150 to 400 miles roundtrip. Plus the routes have a lot of elevation gain and the temps will often be cold. There is one fast-charging station on most of those routes. A lot of the hotels where I stay don't have a level 2 charger or even a place to plug into a standard AC outlet. Some of my friends with Teslas have had some close calls on range going to and from the mountains due to some of these issues.

As such, it is going to be pretty sketchy in the short run, especially if that one station goes down or is really busy. There have been articles in the paper saying they are going to put up a few more fast-charging stations on these routes. Just adding say 2 more on the main routes to the mountains would make all the difference in the world. I will probably borrow my wife's car for the longer trips in the short run, but I hope that the charging network gets built out.

Bottom line is that I am going for it but my fingers are crossed that the charging network develops quickly. Worst case I will be driving the Subaru and my wife will be driving the Porsche much of the time. Could be a good deal for her! ;)
I live in Boulder and have the same concerns. I’m getting a Turbo. If you’re going into the mountains, You can charge in Silverthorne and glenwood springs. After that you can get to grand junction but no farther west. The next station is 230 miles away in Richfield Utah. And you better hope those three chargers are all working or you’re really out of luck.

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Actually, based on the range, I am getting a second one.

Unfortunately, since you can only vote once, my view is underrepresented.
Sorry about that, I know someone who is buying three - A 4S, Turbo and Turbo S! I have asked him to create three user names so that he can vote and not feel left out :)
Sponsored