So Glad I Bought This Option - Public charging cable (Type 2)

Dogs_Tess_Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (delivered 31/07/2020), 996 911 C4S, Mercedes_E320
Country flag
When placing my order way back in 2019, I decided to add the Public Charging Cable (PCC) to my order. Not really knowing how or when I would use it, but the "Public" description seemed that it may be useful one day. The Online configurator quoted :

Type 2 Mode 3 Charging cable for charging at public alternating current charging pedestals with 4.5-metre length
Porsche Taycan So Glad I Bought This Option - Public charging cable (Type 2) 1596482607750

Added it to my Taycan shopping basket and 10 long months later collected my Turbo on 31st July.

Two days later the "charge me now warning lights" where glowing in the cockpit, so I decided to go out for yet another addictive drive , as I only had 45 miles of Atoms left, and set off on a virgin charging experience.

Well, hey presto......when I arrived at the BP charging point in Borne End Berkshire, the charging post did not have any cables to plug into the car !!

So, I smugly took out my PCC from the boot, plugged it in. Opened the BP App, entered in the charging post ID and my Turbo snoozed off for 30 mins while she had a top up.

Having the PCC in my opinion is a great backup cable to have. Nothing worse than rocking up to charge your adorable Taycan, who is close to needing CPR and there is no cable at the charging post to bring her back life.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jdqt458

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Coupe
Country flag
Good advice .
By the way in August the compulsory purchase of the Porsche mobile charger is removed .
Intend to use Zappi and Public charging cable .

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
Yeah, where I come from owning a hybrid I learned that not every charging point has a cable. However, I’d recommend getting it from amazon as you will save more than the Porsche option and get a longer cable.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Good advice .
By the way in August the compulsory purchase of the Porsche mobile charger is removed .
I’ve got a Zappi2 at home. It works fine. Porsche charger never been out of the bag.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I got the impression it would be included for free? Not that I care since I cannot even use it. I just don't want to pay for it.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
For US audiences it's worth noting that this doesn't generally apply. Here in the states all public chargers include the cable and J1772 connector that plugs into the vehicle.

For Taycans with plugs on both sides of the car and in the front, the length of these cables should also always be sufficient, but for some legacy EVs with rear or inconvenient charge ports some folks do carry a J1772 extension (like this one). In the last 9 years of driving electric though, I've never needed one.

Brent

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For US audiences it's worth noting that this doesn't generally apply. Here in the states all public chargers include the cable and J1772 connector that plugs into the vehicle.
Long term I could see things transitioning to this, because of copper theft. We had all the charge cords at work chopped off at least once.

Squarecircle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s +
Country flag
If you order one from Porsche at a later date they cost £300. With the build the cost was £210.

I needed one as I am using an unterthered home charger. Sourced a third party one online for £160 for a 7.5m one in the end.
Sponsored