So, is it acceptable or normal for dealerships to add $20k Premium?

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just because they have the RIGHT to do it doesn't make it right.
IMHO it's really not a good look, especially for a premium brand. Apple and Hermes don't start jacking up the prices in stores when their inventory runs low...

The future is Rivian/Tesla/Lucid style. They may adjust prices up and down globally based on cost changes and also demand, but it's within reason and also globally to everybody, and not subject to haggling.

I can't wait for all these middle-man dealers to eat it. May they rot in hell.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
the car dealers can and will do anything to enhance their profitability.
is is right? for them it is for the consumer it isn't.
some might call it price gouging.
all that said if you are interesting in a specific car there are many other dealers within a few hundred miles of wherever it is that you are located.
reach out and find one who is not marking their cars up like this and remember who the "bad" dealer is for the future because he is forgetting that screwing customers today will result in those customers ignoring that dealership once things become more balanced.

Reactions: B61

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
The two Porsche dealers in my local area (Tampa) have zero new cars. The showroom is full of used cars and a few of them are listed at or above what they cost new. They both told me they have nothing new. Any new cars are orders like mine; so basically before it hits the lot.

Saw it on FB Taycan group too.

Chevy dealer has the same thing on every truck on their lot, but a $5k "market adjustment." If the dealer wants to buy mine back for $20k over what I paid them for it, I might be tempted. I have another car and could wait it out.

frankchn

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 TTS, Taycan TTS
Country flag
IMHO it's really not a good look, especially for a premium brand. Apple and Hermes don't start jacking up the prices in stores when their inventory runs low...
Well, Apple is still mass market, but what Hermes, Rolex, and Ferrari dealers do is that they make you buy a bunch of other stuff before they let you buy the really desirable bags/watches/cars at MSRP. If you don't, sure you can be on a waiting list, but they'll never get to you.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would NEVER EVER pay any dealer an “additional markup” under any circumstances—it is greed, plain and simple, on the part of the dealer. It’s a reprehensible practice and should not be rewarded by the customer falling for this rank exploitation.

I dropped by our local Audi dealer to check out the new E-tron GT For my wife who loves my Taycan. The sales doofus remarked that the car had an additional $10K markup. I told him that was a non-starter and high tailed out of the store without a goodbye. Assholes one and all!

Last edited:

Evpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022, Bolt 2020
Country flag
Let's hear from the Brits on here. I believe new vehicles have to be sold by MSRP.

OP
OP
twporscheguy

twporscheguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the market for a Taycan
Country flag
Got a generic email from the Redwood City sales manager asking if I was interested in any car at their dealership. I responded with no and he offered an allocation at MSRP. Funny how the listed car on the website is considered an allocation, and not an immediate delivery. These guys are crooks.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, Apple is still mass market, but what Hermes, Rolex, and Ferrari dealers do is that they make you buy a bunch of other stuff before they let you buy the really desirable bags/watches/cars at MSRP. If you don't, sure you can be on a waiting list, but they'll never get to you.
Well Porsche dealers do both: mark up on ANY model that gets hot, whether on the lot or not, and you need to be top customer and/or have real connections to get a hold of a GT3 etc.

And Ford is mass market, Ford dealers do this too.

This is a disease in the US - German car dealerships for example are better.

OP
OP
twporscheguy

twporscheguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the market for a Taycan
Country flag
Well Porsche dealers do both: mark up on ANY model that gets hot, whether on the lot or not, and you need to be top customer and/or have real connections to get a hold of a GT3 etc.

And Ford is mass market, Ford dealers do this too.

Which also leads to why Teslas are selling faster than ever. No bullshit to deal with. Just put a deposit and wait.

Ajes

First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Highl. Hybrid, Civic HB, Taycan 4s order
Country flag
Just bought a new civic since my taycan is so delayed. Figured my daughter can drive it next year. I’m in SoCal and started looking a month ago. Have seen prices ranging between 1.8K to 9K above MSRP from multiple dealers.

Many dealers say car is at MSRP but add dealer installed options that add a lot extra. Most cars are sold even before they arrive. Can believe it. If I could wait I would but my taycan has been pushed from August to January.

yman182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
When I was cross-shopping the Taycan and the Audit RS E-Tron GT, they had markups ranging from 5K to 20k. All the cars were sold within 3 weeks with the mark ups.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Supply and demand. Lots of buying interest with very little supply. Look at the new corvette or bronco. Not unique to Porsche.
Bingo! ECON 101 - Supply and Demand. Almost no supply, and lots of demand. Prices rise.

It's the same reason they can charge your $9 for a beer at the baseball stadium during a game. There is lots of demand, and only one supplier.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Let's hear from the Brits on here. I believe new vehicles have to be sold by MSRP.
with all due respect to all, what the policies are in the UK is irrelevant to what is the policies here in the US

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
if you can buy the car there in germany and import it to the US and still have savings that could be an option. back in the 80's this was somewhat commonplace but I believe that gray market cars will not get support from porsche and could be in violation of federal regulations

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Which also leads to why Teslas are selling faster than ever. No bullshit to deal with. Just put a deposit and wait.
And wait. And wait. And have your VIN appear. Then disappear. Then get an ETA. Have that changed. Elon tweets..."2 weeks!". That changes. Then wait more. Paperwork comes. Whoops wrong car. New paperwork. Delivery date disappears. Now it's back on. OK, the car will be here soon. Ok, now you'll deliver it this week. Wait, you took off Thursday to come collect the car? It's not ready yet, come Friday. Oh wait, Friday it just rolled off the truck. Wait here while we "prep" it. Oh prep? Yeah we mean pull the plastic off and register the car. We didn't even bother cleaning the greasy handprints off your white seats. End of quarter, ya know ? We're all slammed to the max. Don't worry about all the paint / trim defects. Just send us an email and we'll get you on the list to fix it. Inspection? Yeah, we did it, but not sure where the paperwork is. Why do you need that? Oh paperwork? Yeah, we FedEX'd it to you. Didn't get it? We'll send it again. Oh wait, that's the wrong paperwork, sorry we'll send it again.

The buying process might be straightforward from an ordering and cost expectation standpoint. But suddenly, all those people at the traditional dealerships start looking like they're actually adding value, not just trying to sell you wheel and tire insurance....
Sponsored