So, is it acceptable or normal for dealerships to add $20k Premium?

gps217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Nothing wrong with a luxury car dealer marking up their prices during a shortage - this isn't bottled water during a hurricane. If we can ask for a lower price, they can ask for a higher one. Neither party has to accept the other's offer.
Sponsored

Ormond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
After watching EQS videos (damn YouTube!); I called a couple Mercedes dealerships, and both are putting markups on the EQS. I really don’t need a vehicle, so I can wait. I could have bought a Audi e-tron GT at sticker, but I prefer the looks of the Porsche. I’m considering a CT but haven’t asked if they sell over MSRP.

Personally, I won’t pay over sticker. That premium is lost as soon as you leave the showroom. I have two Teslas on order. I’ll probably buy whichever arrives first. I know that one will fit into my household needs. I had good luck with my prior Tesla, but will admit that the build quality is just okay.

I really like the people at my Porsche dealership. We’ve owned a Porsche for many years, but I still don’t need to pay over MSRP.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Nothing wrong with a luxury car dealer marking up their prices during a shortage - this isn't bottled water during a hurricane. If we can ask for a lower price, they can ask for a higher one. Neither party has to accept the other's offer.
Pretty much this. I just think the cheek of asking 20k over MSRP on a car that isn't even on the lot yet, and won't be for several months is pretty incredible. I could see a dealer wanting to dip their toe if that car was ready for sale this second, but any halfway decent consumer, especially a Porsche consumer, knows they can get the car they specifically want for much less if they are patient.

To me the MSRP mark-up is about getting buyers who want the instant gratification for a car they can buy immediately. I've seen dealers in my area do this frequently with the new Corvette, and I don't blame them. They sell easily and buyers are willing to pay the mark up for the instant gratification. Anyone buying that car in the OP is likely an idiot.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I really like the people at my Porsche dealership. We’ve owned a Porsche for many years, but I still don’t need to pay over MSRP.
You're in a state that has a lot of Porsche dealers, so competition is a bit more fierce than other parts of the country, and I'm sure you can find one at MSRP without much trouble. When I was looking to order a CT, my issue was more finding someone that had an allocation. My local dealer offered me a little discount for being a repeat customer, but didn't have a build slot until 2022. I searched 3 states before I found a dealer that magically had a slot that was closing quickly with a delivery this year.

You don't even have to call in most cases, just shoot them all an email when their stupid "how can I help you" pop up shows up on the dealer website, and in my experience they get back to you almost immediately.

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
I doubt I'd ever pay over MSRP either and hope this prevailing climate doesn't continue long enough to test my resolve but in these crazy times I guess anything goes. If a dealer has no inventory and suddenly finds himself with a car due to a cancelled order I guess they may as well see what the market will bear albeit maybe with a bit of discretion.

I'm wondering at which point some dealers start to renege on deals that they discounted back in the Spring yet still haven't been delivered due to these delays. I wonder if an aforementioned dealer can simply say "the market has changed since you ordered your config and, as a result, if you still want this deal you'll have to put additional money on the table"..

Last edited:

OP
OP
twporscheguy

twporscheguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the market for a Taycan
Country flag
Well quick update.. Guess I'm the idiot for not buying, because the car is either sold or they took off the listing to sell internally. :CWL::CWL:

Ormond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
I even see a couple of unsold 2020 Taycans. Some advertising a discount. However, I’ve noticed that some dealerships don’t update their websites quickly.

markrm61

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan, 2014 S4
Country flag
Well quick update.. Guess I'm the idiot for not buying, because the car is either sold or they took off the listing to sell internally. :CWL::CWL:
I don’t blame you to not pay ADM. I’m from the Bay Area and six weeks ago I was able to have Porsche Marin get my Taycan from their sister dealership in Palm Springs. They actually own four Porsche dealerships and may be able to locate one for you and ship it to Marin. Keep trying!

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Ironically Ferrari is the one North America company that prohibits dealers for selling new cars for more than MSRP regardless of supply and demand. I’ve had 5 F cars and just ordered an F8 so some dealers have scummy ways of getting around the rule but others are really honest and follow the rule. ADMs are not unheard of in Porsches but generally only the GT and limited cars(918 etc) . I’d never pay it on a regular car (especially an electric) because that money is lost for sure when you sell assuming things normalize in the next 18 months. I got a 7% discount on my 2021 4s last December which was an Ok deal. 20k over - no way.

neilj007

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Macan, Renault Zoe
Country flag
There's a CT 4S for sale at my local OPC...July 2021, 1,400 miles...£124k.....must be at least £20k over list (incl. extra's)

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Update 10.14.21 -> 12:40PM

Contacted a dealer yesterday regarding a car posted on their site for MSRP. The rep replied saying it's available, but "oh wait, please add $20k premium". Makes this buying experience terrible since it feels like they are fishing for customer info or making people go into the dealership to sell their other cars.

https://www.porscheredwoodcity.com/...pUQb0aVMeNdZraj0uG_XTcRYqJIr7CeRtZxjW1XNSaCxo

245490517_10159011264776973_4040015600054540659_n.jpg
FYi when I bought my 4S 1 year ago I received a 4% discount off the price. A friend of mine ordered a 4s May 2021 and got 6% discount off price. I realize there is a 6 months wait but suggest a $20K premium is nuts. Try again in December, all car dealers make this best deals in December as they try to improve their year end sales numbers for Porsche .

Krinsky1965

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base, 2015 Porsche 991.1 GTS
Country flag
I ran into the same issues but after an exhaustive internet search I found exactly what I was looking for on the opposite side of the continent. My choice was to pay an additional $1,900.00 for shipping to California, pay a $15,000.00 premium or wait to find another solution. I paid the shipping fees and am happy with the results. I was looking for a zero option base model in white, not most buyers "unicorn" but it was mine and I have been in love with her since receiving shipment on September 2nd.

You can probably find what you are looking for, my car was new from Annapolis Porsche and was not shown on the PCNA web site. I found her on Autotrader.com . I did swap the wheels and tint the windows but that is all.
Porsche Taycan So, is it acceptable or normal for dealerships to add $20k Premium? download

Helixer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 Carrera 991.2 and 2020 Cayenne
Country flag
Personally, I find any and all ADM's offensive. While a car during a chip shortage may not rise to the level of water after a hurricane, the idea that it's ok to earn additional profit whenever feasible is evidence of greed...the ugly side of capitalism. We would recoil at a doctor charging a premium for treating a medical emergency, and we would even be repelled by Costco putting an ADM of toilet paper. Car dealerships, like liquor distributors, are an anachronistic relic. I'm in favor of manufacturer showrooms letting the public buy directly from the factory. Better buying experience while (hopefully) paying less for the product.

SeattleYates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, PanameraTurbo,993cab,i8/M5/M3/914
Country flag
It's a very strange market, but seems to directly reflect supply and demand. Capitalism is pretty consistent in that regard with hot merchandise in limited supply, whether it's Beanie Babies or Porsches. If you aren't willing to wait until the supply is plentiful (which could easily be a year or more away for Taycans), you have to pay a premium. If demand at these prices isn't sufficient, dealers will have to reduce prices to sell cars (or spots in line for future delivery). If demand is sufficient, buyers (albeit clearly not a lot of folks in this thread) will pay the extra $20K.

I actually sold my BMW i8 a few months ago - for at least $10K more than it was worth last year - even though my Taycan 4S won't arrive until around year-end. I wanted to lock in the deal on the i8 and nail down the deal on the Taycan.

Meanwhile, my wife and I are trading off days with our other car, and on days when I need to go to the office and she needs the LR4, I take a Lyft. Not ideal, but a reasonable trade-off all things considered...
Sponsored