So, This Is A Bit Disappointing For Us Early Adopters...

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2019/07/17/porsche-taycan-250-kw-charging-launch-promised-350-kw/

"
Porsche is getting ready to bring the Taycan, its first all-electric car, to production in the next few months and it started giving test rides to some European media to hype the car.

In one of those test rides, Porsche revealed that the Taycan will have 250 kW charging at launch and the promised 350 kW capacity is not coming until 2021.

Ever since unveiling the Mission E, the concept on which the Taycan is based, the best selling point for the electric car was Porsche’s new 800-volt system to enable a new segment-leading 350 kW charging capacity.

However, UK’s Car Magazine revealed in their test ride that the Taycan will launch with a 250 kW capacity and the originally promised 350 kW charge rate will come later:

“By 2021 at the latest, peak charging power is set to increase from 250 to 350kW, which should – in combination with those latest 800-volt charge points – reduce charging time to a swift 14 minutes.”

Currently, Tesla’s Model 3 is leading the EV market with a 250 kW charge capacity enabled earlier this year.

With the test ride, Porsche also revealed to the magazine some of the production specs of the Taycan:

“The base Taycan is rear-drive only, sports a 80kWh battery and is powered by a choice of 322bhp or 376bhp motors. The next model up, which for now we believe will be badged Carrera 4S, is equipped with a 96kWh battery pack, and offers 429bhp or 483bhp. The top model – the ‘Turbo’ we’re driving – will cost perhaps £120,000. All-wheel drive and the bigger battery are standard on the more powerful two versions. An even more potent 724bhp Turbo S and a lighter rear-drive GTS are still to be signed off.”

Interestingly, the version tested was a four-seater. The Mission E was originally a four-seater, but Porsche has been expected to change the design to a five-seater for the production version.

The German automaker has also been talking about making sure that the Taycan is going to be a track-ready vehicle.

Porsche has previously mentioned that unlike Tesla’s performance vehicles, the Taycan is going to be able to maintain continuous higher power output for long periods of time.

Bernd Propfe, Porsche platform director for the Taycan, told the magazine that Taycan owners are going to be able to do 10 full-throttle 0-62 mph (0 to 100 km/h) launches without a decrease in performance.

They also included some interesting dynamic features, according to the magazine:

“High-tech dynamic goodies are key. The complex set-up includes air suspension (except on the base car), all-wheel drive (rear-drive for the base car), rear-wheel steering on some models, 48-volt anti-roll bars, active aerodynamics, and steel brakes with serious stopping power. The pulse inverter that masterminds the torque vectoring acts five times faster than chips that govern conventional four-wheel-drive systems. Forget stability management by brake actuation: the Taycan’s black box controls everything by wheel-selective torque feed. ‘Zero loss, 100 per cent dynamic efficiency,’ grins Weckbach.”

All the details are expected to be revealed at the launch of the production version of the Taycan in September."
Sponsored

Shoey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Diesel, Cayman GTS, BMW i3
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2019/07/17/porsche-taycan-250-kw-charging-launch-promised-350-kw/

"
Porsche is getting ready to bring the Taycan, its first all-electric car, to production in the next few months and it started giving test rides to some European media to hype the car.

In one of those test rides, Porsche revealed that the Taycan will have 250 kW charging at launch and the promised 350 kW capacity is not coming until 2021.

Ever since unveiling the Mission E, the concept on which the Taycan is based, the best selling point for the electric car was Porsche’s new 800-volt system to enable a new segment-leading 350 kW charging capacity.

However, UK’s Car Magazine revealed in their test ride that the Taycan will launch with a 250 kW capacity and the originally promised 350 kW charge rate will come later:

“By 2021 at the latest, peak charging power is set to increase from 250 to 350kW, which should – in combination with those latest 800-volt charge points – reduce charging time to a swift 14 minutes.”

Currently, Tesla’s Model 3 is leading the EV market with a 250 kW charge capacity enabled earlier this year.

With the test ride, Porsche also revealed to the magazine some of the production specs of the Taycan:

“The base Taycan is rear-drive only, sports a 80kWh battery and is powered by a choice of 322bhp or 376bhp motors. The next model up, which for now we believe will be badged Carrera 4S, is equipped with a 96kWh battery pack, and offers 429bhp or 483bhp. The top model – the ‘Turbo’ we’re driving – will cost perhaps £120,000. All-wheel drive and the bigger battery are standard on the more powerful two versions. An even more potent 724bhp Turbo S and a lighter rear-drive GTS are still to be signed off.”

Interestingly, the version tested was a four-seater. The Mission E was originally a four-seater, but Porsche has been expected to change the design to a five-seater for the production version.

The German automaker has also been talking about making sure that the Taycan is going to be a track-ready vehicle.

Porsche has previously mentioned that unlike Tesla’s performance vehicles, the Taycan is going to be able to maintain continuous higher power output for long periods of time.

Bernd Propfe, Porsche platform director for the Taycan, told the magazine that Taycan owners are going to be able to do 10 full-throttle 0-62 mph (0 to 100 km/h) launches without a decrease in performance.

They also included some interesting dynamic features, according to the magazine:

“High-tech dynamic goodies are key. The complex set-up includes air suspension (except on the base car), all-wheel drive (rear-drive for the base car), rear-wheel steering on some models, 48-volt anti-roll bars, active aerodynamics, and steel brakes with serious stopping power. The pulse inverter that masterminds the torque vectoring acts five times faster than chips that govern conventional four-wheel-drive systems. Forget stability management by brake actuation: the Taycan’s black box controls everything by wheel-selective torque feed. ‘Zero loss, 100 per cent dynamic efficiency,’ grins Weckbach.”

All the details are expected to be revealed at the launch of the production version of the Taycan in September."
If the 350kW charging is not available as a software upgrade later I’ll delay my order

edouard356

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne '16; Porsche 911 GTS '19
Country flag
Raek, thanks for sharing. We'll see how it pans out......hopefully it will be sooner than expected.

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
250kw to 350kw should be a software upgrade! Unless they’re not releasing it with the higher capacity battery....that would be a deal breaker! September can’t come fast enough......and it’s my bday month!

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
250kw to 350kw should be a software upgrade! Unless they’re not releasing it with the higher capacity battery....that would be a deal breaker! September can’t come fast enough......and it’s my bday month!
The 350W charging is likely limited by the charger, which is hardware inside the vehicle itself. If it is upgradeable at all, it won't be a software upgrade.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
350 is DC charging so does not go through the internal charger. should be software upgradable unless coupled to the solid state battery that Porsche is talking about..........

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
My concern is a little less about 250 vs 350, but more about 'what else might they withhold from launch until later'?

MPawelek

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1919 Ford Model T, 1931 Ford Model A, 1957 Nash Metropolitan, 2017 Mercedes SL, 2018 Ford F250
Country flag
I also am getting a bit worried by the “changes” being made before the initial launch but understand that Porsche really has not made any commitments so far and supposed facts we have are really speculations......
(1) Final design, now that the mule coverings are coming off, is not as sporty as the concept design.
(2) Super quick charging will not happen after all until the second year.
(3) The unlimited “launch all you want” is now being limited to a certain amount in a undisclosed time period.
What surprise is next?

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
The more I watch the 3 ‘reveals’...Shanghai, Goodwood and NYC, of the taycan, the more I see a redesigned panamera(ish).
Is it just me, or is it less than inspiring than when we look at the mission E and say, “I want that machine”!
If that is the final design with a few hidden curves still to be unveiled, I’m not that inspired!

What do you guys think? Are you captivated by what you see now, compared to what the mission E looks like?

Porsche Taycan So, This Is A Bit Disappointing For Us Early Adopters... 18FDE718-FED2-4814-AB4B-285177AC364A

Porsche Taycan So, This Is A Bit Disappointing For Us Early Adopters... 4E19DE7C-B55C-481B-AFBE-8F6115853720

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
I also am getting a bit worried by the “changes” being made before the initial launch but understand that Porsche really has not made any commitments so far and supposed facts we have are really speculations......
(1) Final design, now that the mule coverings are coming off, is not as sporty as the concept design.
(2) Super quick charging will not happen after all until the second year.
(3) The unlimited “launch all you want” is now being limited to a certain amount in a undisclosed time period.
What surprise is next?
The price, up another 20k to 149k before the long option list!

King Art

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I'm probably one of the most avid Porsche fans this side of the Atlantic. I purchased my wife a macan turbo s in the assumption that I would one day be
acquiring my won Taycan Turbo to match and we could race around town as the Porsche family one day. However I agree with too many fo the things stated here that I have a sense that we maybe up for a disappointment if 1; the charge is in fact reduced, 2; the body styling is revealed to look like those ugly mules. and most importantly 3; The price changes suddenly being elevated to higher for nothing! That would just piss me off.

To be honest I almost gave us until................. this baby peaked its head out and gave me hope...
I said if it in fact ends up looking like this render below then Halleluyah!! But if not... I'll be the firs tot admit I'm
now considering buying the brand new C8 Corvette that debuted last night. (Im not a chevy or corvette fan) but hot damn that new car
has been designed well and the price and looks of it look unbeatable with all due respect to my fellow Porsche enthusiasts on here.

Porsche Taycan So, This Is A Bit Disappointing For Us Early Adopters... Porsche Taycan Production

Porsche Taycan So, This Is A Bit Disappointing For Us Early Adopters... Porsche Taycan3 Production

Porsche Taycan So, This Is A Bit Disappointing For Us Early Adopters... Porsche Taycan2.1 Production

GyAkUsOu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A1 GB
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I'm probably one of the most avid Porsche fans this side of the Atlantic. I purchased my wife a macan turbo s in the assumption that I would one day be
acquiring my won Taycan Turbo to match and we could race around town as the Porsche family one day. However I agree with too many fo the things stated here that I have a sense that we maybe up for a disappointment if 1; the charge is in fact reduced, 2; the body styling is revealed to look like those ugly mules. and most importantly 3; The price changes suddenly being elevated to higher for nothing! That would just piss me off.

To be honest I almost gave us until................. this baby peaked its head out and gave me hope...
I said if it in fact ends up looking like this render below then Halleluyah!! But if not... I'll be the firs tot admit I'm
now considering buying the brand new C8 Corvette that debuted last night. (Im not a chevy or corvette fan) but hot damn that new car
has been designed well and the price and looks of it look unbeatable with all due respect to my fellow Porsche enthusiasts on here.
These renders are almost identical to the lastest prototypes Porsche showed off at Goodwood

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Porsche Taycan Production.jpeg

Porsche Taycan3 Production.jpeg

Porsche Taycan2.1 Production.jpg
Front and rear looks lovely as usual, but the side view is an improvement over the mules

MPawelek

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1919 Ford Model T, 1931 Ford Model A, 1957 Nash Metropolitan, 2017 Mercedes SL, 2018 Ford F250
Country flag
My concern is mostly about travel range and the out dated system Porsche is using to say 500 km. Was not the NEDC dropped in 2017 as it was not realistic? What is the use of a good looking EV that in actuality only has a range of 200 miles?
Sponsored