First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Hey everyone,

Think this was answered before but what is the consensus of SOC you should leave the car if you don’t plan to use it for 2-3 weeks? Might actually be travelling so first time it has become relevant.

Obviously not 100%. Probably also not 80%. So the best answer is?????

@daveo4EV this is probably up your alley :)

Thanks!
Sponsored

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Hey everyone,

Think this was answered before but what is the consensus of SOC you should leave the car if you don’t plan to use it for 2-3 weeks? Might actually be travelling so first time it has become relevant.

Thanks!
80% is no problem, and in fact is probably what I would do. What you don't want is to leave it at 100% or a low SoC, as that is not good for the battery. Given the low drain rates of the Taycan, you should see minimal drain after 2-3 weeks.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is a TSB by Porsche for long term parking. If I remember correctly it says use a general profile set to 85%, no timers, plugged into a charger and over-inflate the tires to 51 - 58 psi to make sure they don't get permanently bent because the car is heavy.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...rsche-on-long-term-storage-with-a-bonus.2973/

The "connected to charger" part is questionable. I am not going to do that.
Also the recommended tire pressure exceeds the max pressure on the tire label so I am not going more than the max.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
There is a TSB by Porsche for long term parking. If I remember correctly it says use a general profile set to 85%, no timers, plugged into a charger and over-inflate the tires to 51 - 58 psi to make sure they don't get permanently bend because the car is heavy.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...rsche-on-long-term-storage-with-a-bonus.2973/

Also the recommended tire pressure exceeds the max pressure on the tire label so I am not going to do 58psi either.
This depends on how long you will leave the car in place. The recommended charge level for up to 3 months is 50%, which I think is the same for most EV’s. Not Taycan specific. And the overinflating of tyres is, as you say, to avoid the tyre getting out of shape. (flat “”spot””).

Since the car has Very low battery drain when stored, I would avoid having it plugged in for other reasons.

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Also the recommended tire pressure exceeds the max pressure on the tire label so I am not going to do 58psi either.
Probably best to leave it plugged so the 12V battery can trickle charge. As long as the SOC is not over Porsche recommended state, or very low, you're ok.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Probably best to leave it plugged so the 12V battery can trickle charge. As long as the SOC is not over Porsche recommended state, or very low, you're ok.
Are you sure it is charging the 12v battery while connected to the main charger? I would say probably not given the forum wisdom around the 12v drainage during charging.

Being connected to the charger might actually increase the chance of 12v drainage because certain computer modules have to wake up from time to time to enable charging.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
There is a TSB by Porsche for long term parking. If I remember correctly it says use a general profile set to 85%, no timers, plugged into a charger and over-inflate the tires to 51 - 58 psi to make sure they don't get permanently bend because the car is heavy.
I have ruined to sets of tires on two separate occasions, since I did not over-inflate before storing. The first was a MB veteran I only used summer time, and just sat there in the same position for 10 months at the time. The other was one a newer MB-S AMG, I didn't use for a year when I was hospitalised and not able to drive. In both cases the tires became flat on one spot and therefore unusable, like driving on a bumpy road. I learned my lesson the hard way, so I can definitely confirm it is a risk, especially on heavy electric vehicles as you mention.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Being connected to the charger might actually increase the chance of 12v drainage because certain computer modules have to wake up from time to time to enable charging.
Not once it hits the programmed target SOC.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
anywhere between 30% and 80%

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
I typically store at SoC between 40% and 60%. You typically only lose 1% SoC per month. My tires are always at 38-40 psi anyway, so that helps avoiding flat spots.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
others have answered this sufficiently - just don't store it "full" - 80% or less is ideal from what I understand - Porsche Good to Know app has a section for long term storage I believe.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
55-65% I would say. It’s in that space where the battery feels most comfortable. No charger attached.

Deleted member 1697

SOC is relevant. around 50%. 30 to 50...
but beware of not exceed external temperatures !
underground parking is ideal

OP
OP
SwissTaycan

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Thanks everyone!!! Good to go with all these suggestions....
Sponsored