Software update hasn’t fixed 12v battery issue (update) confirmed as main battery fault)

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
Sorry if this has been posted before but my car has just been collected by recovery as it’s bricked and it looks like the 12v battery issue. The AA guy said he has done several in the last few days.

I haven’t used the app, the Porsche charger and the keys are kept well away from the car.

Lets see what Porsche say….

Porsche Taycan Software update hasn’t fixed 12v battery issue (update) confirmed as main battery fault) F3ABC774-4177-43D8-9528-D8B4E178D487

Porsche Taycan Software update hasn’t fixed 12v battery issue (update) confirmed as main battery fault) 9AB4F7E3-CCC3-45E9-9127-0B848EFCB24E

Porsche Taycan Software update hasn’t fixed 12v battery issue (update) confirmed as main battery fault) AEA242A8-8ED2-4522-92D6-3101D419E0FB

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Sorry if this has been posted before but my car has just been collected by recovery as it’s bricked and it looks like the 12v battery issue. The AA guy said he has done several in the last few days.

I haven’t used the app, the Porsche charger and the keys are kept well away from the car.

F3ABC774-4177-43D8-9528-D8B4E178D487.jpeg

9AB4F7E3-CCC3-45E9-9127-0B848EFCB24E.jpeg

AEA242A8-8ED2-4522-92D6-3101D419E0FB.jpeg
Nightmare - I'm guessing that any attempt to charge didn't address the 12V message in your last picture or leaving the car for several hours and re-trying?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
If my Prius PEV is left with an internal light on (or any othe electrical accessory) over night in the morning the standard 12V battery hasn't got a high enough voltage to boot the electronics boxes so the hybrid system can't start.
I keep a C-Tek trickle charger handy just in case one of my passengers or my wife leave something on.
I wouldn't be surprised if, since the 12V battery doesn't need to be big enough to power the starter of an IC engine, it may well be smaller than people are used to in the Taycan (like it is in the Prius) so this is much more likely to happen on an EV than an IC engined car.
Now I am aware of it it doesn't happen any more.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Damn. Mine 12V was dead Aug. 10th and Porsche said a software update was the solution. I hope so but won't know for sure until I get it back.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

sadness and sympathies for your situation and I hope this gets resolved ASAP

the fact that your vehicle is “alive” makes this NOT the 12V issue that porsche claimed to resolve with the last round of software updates - the 12V issues porsche addressed were the vehicle depleting the “small” 12V battery while it was plugged in and charging, waiting to charge, or had finished charging - under these circumstances the vehicle would be completely dead upon returning to it with no-life what so ever (the fact that you have a display showing a fault in vehicle means this is a separate issue and not the same as the known 12V death issue).

also while Porsche claimed to fix certain issues with the latest round of software, they did not claim to make the vehicle invunerable to future issues or actual vehicle faults.

Even with the latest software all of our Taycan‘s can encounter errors that will require diagnosis and service by Porsche. These vehicles can still encounter problems, and will report those problems via various codes and errors displayed to the vehicle driver/owner.

The last round of software addressed a plethoria of “false” errors that should not occur and in some cases rendered the vehicle in-operable. But the software updates do not make your vehicle immune to actual and legitimate faults. Just because your vehicle has a fault doesn’t mean Porsche didn’t fix some underlying issues.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
the fact that your vehicle is “alive” makes this NOT the 12V issue that porsche claimed to resolve with the last round of software updates - the 12V issues porsche addressed were the vehicle depleting the “small” 12V battery while it was plugged in and charging, waiting to charge, or had finished charging - under these circumstances the vehicle would be completely dead upon returning to it with no-life what so ever (the fact that you have a display showing a fault in vehicle means this is a separate issue and not the same as the known 12V death issue).
Aug. 10 when I came out to the car in my garage and it was dead, it had not been plugged in for 2.5 days.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This feels like when the alternator of an ICE car is broken. Over time its 12v battery is not charged and eventually it dies. There are also cases where the ICE's 12v battery itself is bad (typically every 3-5 years).

An EV does not have an alternator, but it has a DC converter to supply power to the 12v battery. Similarly to how an alternator can go bad, the EV's 12v charging system can also fail. Arguably that might happen more frequently than alternators fail.
Also the 12v itself can go bad.

The issue on an EV is even more pronounced because the 12v battery is usually much smaller than the batter of an ICE car, so if it is not charged, then small loads can drain it quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
Nightmare - I'm guessing that any attempt to charge didn't address the 12V message in your last picture or leaving the car for several hours and re-trying?
Hi. Neither of those things worked. I left the car for hours and it didnt sort itself

OP
OP

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
sadness and sympathies for your situation and I hope this gets resolved ASAP

also while Porsche claimed to fix certain issues with the latest round of software, they did not claim to make the vehicle invunerable to future issues or actual vehicle faults.

Even with the latest software all of our Taycan‘s can encounter errors that will require diagnosis and service by Porsche. These vehicles can still encounter problems, and will report those problems via various codes and errors displayed to the vehicle driver/owner.

The last round of software addressed a plethoria of “false” errors that should not occur and in some cases rendered the vehicle in-operable. But the software updates do not make your vehicle immune to actual and legitimate faults. Just because your vehicle has a fault doesn’t mean Porsche didn’t fix some underlying issues.
Fair enough , thanks for the reply

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Fair enough , thanks for the reply
Sorry to hear of the OP’s plight. Please let us know what the fix was.

As a separate data point that may bear on this issue, I have just returned from a 3 week holiday with the 4S sitting alone in the garage at 63% charge, and it started right up. When I left 3 weeks earlier, SoC was also showing 63%. The manual recommends about a 50% SoC for long term storage, I believe.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

Try connecting a 12V battery charger to see if that clears the fault.
My guess, as I wrote up thread, is the 12V peripheral battery which powers everything but traction motors is either done for or you have something that works whether the ignition is on or not switched on sound system, reading light for example.
A courtesy light left on overnight discharges my 12V battery enough for the electronics not to boot in the morning.
I have to be much more careful than with the old IC cars which had a big battery because of the starter.

OP
OP

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
So I’ve been told today the large volt battery needs replacing?? the Porsche rep didn’t have a clue if its the 12v battery or what.. said it could be a 3 week wait for a part. At a time when there is a fuel shortage in the UK too ?

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Is that the 800V battery? That costs about £40k? Or just the 12V one that probably costs £150?

OP
OP

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
So it’s been confirmed by Porsche today my main battery for my turbo needs replacing and they cannot give me a date when it will arrive…..
Sponsored