Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
My local Porsche center had an event today where I got to look at and testdrive the new MY25 Taycan. In true Porsche spirit, they didn't have any Turbo models available and the cars were actually quite surprisingly spartanly specced. There were however a few interesting things that I noticed, so I thought I'll just share it here.

1. Porsche has finally realised that the UX for managing desired charge level is pure insanity, so instead of messing around with profiles and timers and whatnot, you instead have a slider on the battery screen:

Porsche Taycan Some first impressions of new MY2025 Taycan test drive 1715173294424-9b

I didn't look into exactly how profiles and timers are affected by this change, but I assume they still exist in some way.

2. The main interface has changed a bit. The yellow colour is mostly gone and replaced with blue and they've added a few new views. You've probably seen the new battery info screen, but they've also added a new driver assist view in the center tube. The car only had some basic assist features specced, so I'm not sure exactly how this is affected if you spec InnoDrive and so on. It did however visualise the distance to the car ahead at different speeds much clearer than before. Another difference is that changing views is now done instantly when you scroll the scroll wheels rather than showing a menu where you select the view you want.

Porsche Taycan Some first impressions of new MY2025 Taycan test drive 1715174074466-9l

3. A funny thing with the interface, it seems like the infamous rendered white Taycan in the interface is now a Turbo model, at least in the 3D surround view:

Porsche Taycan Some first impressions of new MY2025 Taycan test drive 1715174189096-2i

4. The console lid has changed a bit. I would still not call it good, but it's different. It now springs open and gives quite some resistance when you try to close it. It doesn't open all the way, of course, but I believe it stays a bit more open than before.

5. I tried to play around with CarPlay a bit, but I spontaneously couldn't see any tangible changes.

6. The interface appears to be a bit smoother, but it's hard to tell. Route calculation with chargers was definitely a fair bit faster than my car.

7. Driving the thing was perhaps the biggest difference. I can't say anything about performance since I can't really compare a Turbo S with a 4S. Push to Pass is interesting. You get a pretty good kick in performance, the interface changes and the sports sound is piped through the internal speakers much louder.

8. The demo car had obviously been driven quite actively, with an average consumption of over 60 kwh/100km. I'm thinking that is the reason for relatively low range in the guess-o-meter (~400 km at 100%).

9. Doing some very unscientific scientific testing of my own, I tried to to do a few steady laps around a ~10 km long 100 km/h relatively empty road to kinda see how the efficiency performs vs my own car. It immediately became very apparent that efficiency has improved remarkably. Holding a very steady 100 km/h in normal mode, the efficiency never went over 20 kwh/100km and ended up at around 16 kwh/100km in total with 98 km/h average speed. In comparison, doing the exact same drive in the exact same conditions in my own car right after, ended up at 23 kwh/100km.

Obviously way too short drive to actually get some reliable numbers of the actual efficiency, but I think it at least shows the improvements in efficiency. The car I drove was a Cross Turismo 4s with 21 inch wheels, compared to my Cross Turismo Turbo S with 21 inch wheels.

10. Likely as part of new regulations, the car did nag a bit at me. There's now an optional speed limit ding, and a tiredness warning. I'm not entirely sure what the car was actually complaining about, but it did ding at me quite a few times which I'm still unsure what that was about. It also now throws up a message on the screen when you open the door after parking, reminding you to not forget your things. Thank you Porsche, my things are not forgotten.

11. Styling-wise, I think the standard Porsche looks better in real life than in the photos. Or it has just grown on me, I guess. I still mostly prefer the old design vs the new standard Taycan, but it's still a gorgeous car. It's very apparent that much of the new design comes from efficiency improvements, since they have pretty much filled every little nook and cranny in the new headlights, to make it much smoother compared to the old design. It sounds worse than it is, as someone overly familiar with the old design, it's noticeable when you look close at the details.
Porsche Taycan Some first impressions of new MY2025 Taycan test drive BA905B16-B004-475F-B93E-5538BC3D0C94_1_102_o

That was probably all the things I noticed. It was a pretty short visit and they didn't have any cars specced with the things I was mostly wondering about (Turbonite, ActiveRide, e.t.c), but it was cool to see the small changes anyway, I guess.

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Thank you. Many of the upgrades in the UX would not appear superficially to "need" hardware changes, so I would hope that Porsche would not be crappy and deny them as part of an upgrade to older models, but, based on past experience, they likely will . . .

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Triumph Trident, 2023 Taycan
Country flag
Thank you. Many of the upgrades in the UX would not appear superficially to "need" hardware changes, so I would hope that Porsche would not be crappy and deny them as part of an upgrade to older models, but, based on past experience, they likely will . . .
This is insane to me. It’s literally the same hardware. Even if it wasn’t, it’s *purely* a minor software update. I cannot fathom how car manufacturers fail so spectacularly at managing their software. It’s a solved problem. It makes me really angry because the car itself is a piece of art.

Like guys, innovate better. My car has 4 screens, so many sensors and it can integrate with a phone. Pay your design and engineering teams more or give them more freedom. It’s such a joke to even have me complain about this for a 120k car in the year of our lord 2024.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
So far they have at least eventually updated older models to the new software (notably with the MY22 PCM), but we’ll see.

I’m not sure if the hardware has actually changed, but I can tell that the interface was definitely smoother now after playing around with my car a bit.

Notably, switching apps now has a little animated transition, which mine doesn’t have.

I also forgot to say, they have also made some changes to the cruise control lever. They’ve essentially inverted it so that you change speed by tapping upwards and downwards, and activate/deactive by pulling or pushing it from you.

Last edited:

Lofvis

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Sorry my fault it was low on "power" me and my friend have a heavy foot 😅 we were there around 1400.
Used the push to pass quite a few times just to see the function vs "normal" forgot to check if this 4S has the plus battery or not.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
I also forgot to say, they have also made some changes to the cruise control lever. They’ve essentially inverted it so that you change speed by tapping upwards and downwards, and activate/deactive by pulling or pushing it from you.
Thanks for the very informative OP. As for cruise control, I'm glad they made this change. My Audi works in the way you mentioned and it has always been a little annoying that the Taycan works totally differently. Looking forward to my new Taycan.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
As you star, the car has probably been driven quite hard, else the range would be very disappointing.

Wow! NOT impressed at that. If that is the only thing.

Displays look nice and charging settings seem good.

But still super silly pricing!

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
Thanks for this interesting post.

1. Porsche has finally realised that the UX for managing desired charge level is pure insanity, so instead of messing around with profiles and timers and whatnot you instead have a slider on the battery screen:
Nice!

2. The main interface has changed a bit. The yellow colour is mostly gone and replaced with blue and they've added a few new views. You've probably seen the new battery info screen, but they've also added a new driver assist view in the center tube. The car only had some basic assist features specced, so I'm note sure exactly how this is affected if you spec InnoDrive and so on. It did however visualise the distance to the car ahead at different speeds much clearer than before. Another difference is that changing views is now done instantly when you scroll the scroll wheels rather than showing a menu where you select the view you want.
I recall reading that it is now possible to see up to 6 other detected vehicles (if ACC and ALK spec’ed and active probably) in the display, but I haven’t seen a picture of this. ???

6. The interface appears to be a bit smoother, but it's hard to tell. Route calculation with chargers was definitely a fair bit fast then my car.
When the data connection is up (subscription required?), route planning calculation is supposedly to be done remotely in the cloud to finish faster than the PCM can do it.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Thank you for this. Yes, maybe Gen 1 get some of these in an update. Do you suppose the charging change limits DCFC? Also, it looks like we will need to wait for the 2030 refresh for the technology to keep the center console lid all the way open <grin>?

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
Thank you for your insights and great post, but the most important thing we need to know, did they improve the rear view camera?!
Weird thing about the camera.. I have a MY23 Taycan, and never had issues with the quality. 2 weeks ago I had a MY24 loaner, and the quality of the camera was awful! Can it be that there are different cameras across the models?

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Nice write up, thanks OP. How was the ride comfort on the new air suspension system, any noticeable difference?

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
Weird thing about the camera.. I have a MY23 Taycan, and never had issues with the quality. 2 weeks ago I had a MY24 loaner, and the quality of the camera was awful! Can it be that there are different cameras across the models?

Interesting, not sure, I have a 2023, and it’s awful. My son’s Kia EV6 is 8K in comparison, lol!
The camera’s do collect road film pretty badly, is it possible the lens was dirtier on the 2024?

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Used the push to pass quite a few times just to see the function vs "normal" forgot to check if this 4S has the plus battery or not.
I think push-to-pass requires the performance battery plus

violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
Do you still have to choose 5% increments in the desired charge level setting? I am disappointed that I can't choose 88%.
Sponsored