Some of the mods for our new Taycan RWD

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
With our new Taycan RWD arriving at the end of the month, I thought that I would share a few of the modifications that we will be installing at delivery.

The Taycan is a really well sorted car from Porsche, and just needed a little bit of personalization to make it exactly what my wife wants.

Wheels/Tires

None of the OEM wheel options for MY2021 suited our taste, so we ordered the bar with the plain jane OEM 19” wheels. We have worked with Vorsteiner Wheels many times in the past and decided to go with their VFF-109 in 21” diameter, with an offset that is slightly more aggressive than OEM. 21X9.5 ET42 for the front and 21x110 et 52 for the rear. The fronts have a somewhat flat face to them to clear the brakes and the rears are concave. We chose a custom dark metallic satin bronze finish which is a little bit of a detour for me, as I always go with a satin black wheel. For the tires we went with Pirelli NFO OEM electric spec, sport. Additionally, we are going with titanium lug bolts that are PVD black finish to help reduce a little bit of the weight. Wheels will be protected with CarPro CQuartz Dlux ceramic coating (will do all underbody plastics to include wheel well liners)

Fresh out of the curing oven.

Porsche Taycan Some of the mods for our new Taycan RWD Tq7Y0lZ

Porsche Taycan Some of the mods for our new Taycan RWD V1YHerO

Suspension

While the Taycan has a really nice ride height from the factory, we decided to add a CETE active suspension control module for the OEM PASM air suspension. The CETE module is a plug and play unit that allows the ride height to be adjusted in all of the factory settings (lift, lowered, low), there is an additional “show” mode that can be selected when the vehicle is parked for appearance purposes.

The module is really easy to install, as it has a “master” control unit that connects to the rear ride height sensors and a “slave” control unit that attaches to the front ride height sensors. Additionally, there is a CAN high and CAN low wire that is connected to the OEM body control module allowing the OEM buttons to be used to control the height settings. There is also a mobile app that allows the ride height to be adjusted too.

We chose to go this route for two reasons because we are able to set the ride height to whatever we want in multiple configurations and we also appreciate the ability to make the “lift” setting even higher than what the OEM offers.

Here is a couple of photos of the product, which is made in Germany. I have installed variations of this product many times in the past and it works great.

Porsche Taycan Some of the mods for our new Taycan RWD XxPm4SC

Porsche Taycan Some of the mods for our new Taycan RWD dEvhFji

Porsche Taycan Some of the mods for our new Taycan RWD CF8lAoW

Exterior body mods

Since we ordered our car in Carmine Red with the SportDesign Package in carbon fiber and carbon fiber exterior mirrors, there is not too much we can do to improve on this. The USA spec amber front markers are hideous, especially with a red exterior, so we purchased from EU spec clear markers that will be installed prior to delivery. We are also tinting the driver/passenger front windows with 3M crystalline CR40 (max legal in our state) and going with CR90 on the remaining windows/panographic roof to further reduce UV exposure and reject as much heat as possible. Additionally, we’re going with Stek dynoshield PPF to protect the front of the car and will do a full paint correction/glossification and protect with CQuartz Finest Reserve. I have plans to make some modifications to the rear valence, just need to have the car in person to decide the exact route that I plan on going.

Interior mods

No real mods planned other than some OEM all-weather floor mats and protect the interior surfaces (have not chosen which product yet). Car was ordered with 14-way adjustables, carbon fiber interior package, carbon fiber steering wheel, seat belts in Bordeaux red and sport chrono in Bordeaux red. Might order some EU spec sun visors without the USA airbag warnings, since we hate looking at those. Might do a dash camera setup that will be divorced from the OEM electrics.

Porsche Taycan Some of the mods for our new Taycan RWD iMyoFph

Final mod/gimmick

This one is mostly for the kids on island who love to come take pictures and pose with cars. Since the entire underbody of the Taycan is flat, we are going to install some Govee underbody LED lights to add a “glow” effect when at car shows or at the park at night. We have no plans of connecting them to the OEM 12V battery system, so we are going to connect them to a 12V battery booster pack to keep completely divorced from the OEM electrics.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Quite a list. Look forward to seeing the final product.

okkotonushi

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Porsche 992S, Genesis GV60
Country flag
Don't find a CETE module on their website for Taycan

OP
OP
F16HTON

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Last edited:

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Just ordered my CETE ASC yesterday. Can't wait to install it!

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Would this invalidate warranty?
Mods never "invalidate" a warranty. Dealerships often claim this & most manufacturers try to scare you into thinking this is the case, but it's not.

However, if the mod causes any damage or problems they will not be covered under warranty. In this case, if there are any issues with the air suspension they will likely blame the mod and repairs will be out of pocket. Your warranty still exists, however, and covers everything unaffected by the mod.

This is assuming you own the car. Modifying a leased car is a terrible idea and can have significant ramifications as you're breaking your contract.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
OP
OP
F16HTON

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Interesting.
How does that work?
Do you disconnect the sensors and replace them with these ones with the OEM connectors?
Sensors stay in place, you are essentially adding the product in-between the OEM sensors and the OEM plugs.

Install guide attached.

Attachments

Reactions: Dee
OP
OP
F16HTON

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thx!
Is it necessary to adjust camber when lowering the car?
Not really, for every 25mm that you lower a car, it will typically pick up about .7 degrees of negative camber.

Negative camber is not necessarily a bad thing for performance, unless it is coupled with too much toe in or toe out.

Porsche typically does a slight bit of toe in on the OEM alignment settings, this actually reduces the sensitivity of the steering input to account for the mean (standard) reaction time for most individuals. You could consider this "dumbing down" the car to suit the common denominator.

When I have an alignment completed, I typically prefer to remove the "toe in" and add a slight bit of "toe out" in the rear which helps the car rotate a little better.

A lot of this comes down to personal preference and what feels best. Like I mentioned before, what Porsche gives you from the factory is safe, reliable and predictable, however there is much left on the table to improve performance if desired.

What I really like about the CTEK product is that it works very much in the same manner as the lowering links that you installed in your car, but in a virtual way. Rather than tricking the OEM suspension by reporting a "mechanical" difference in ride height it is tricking the OEM suspension by reporting a "virtual" difference in ride height.

It is important to note that there are other sensors such as (adaptive cruise control, lane change assist, headlight level sensors, etc.) that should all be recalibrated when the suspension ride height is adjusted. I believe the CTEK module does account for this and reports values to those sensors that will keep the car happy.

We could continue to analyze this down to the finest minute detail, but what is the point? None of us know what is actually programmed into the car, how the logic in itself works and any of the other details.

In the end, it really comes down to owner satisfaction and what is important to the individual. The end goal for us is to make our Taycan RWD exactly how my wife wants it, which will be different than anyone else.

I have a pretty strong background for the understand out how the OEM air suspension works, as it is virtually identical to what is offered on Audi, Volkswagen and Lamboghini. With the VW/Audi, I am able to use the VCDS diagnostic tool to change the ride height settings in the OEM suspension control module.

In theory, I can do the same with a Porsche, however it requires the use of the PIWIS factory tool. I did work with the dealer on my Macan Turbo in the past to have the ride height recalibrated, and even then, it did not come out exactly how I wanted.

With the CTEK module I will have full control and not be dependent on anyone/anything else to achieve my goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Thx for your extended explanation.
I was more worried about excessive tire wear on the rear on the inside cuz when I lowered my car 20mm by links, the rear tires had noticably more camber...

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Nice! I love the wheels. I ordered a RWD car with sport chrono clock in red as well. Slated for June delivery. I too have some ideas for the rear bumper/valance but am waiting to address it once in my possession.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I have a pretty strong background for the understand out how the OEM air suspension works, as it is virtually identical to what is offered on Audi, Volkswagen and Lamboghini. With the VW/Audi, I am able to use the VCDS diagnostic tool to change the ride height settings in the OEM suspension control module.

In theory, I can do the same with a Porsche, however it requires the use of the PIWIS factory tool. I did work with the dealer on my Macan Turbo in the past to have the ride height recalibrated, and even then, it did not come out exactly how I wanted.
It's possible with VCDS too.

Porsche Taycan Some of the mods for our new Taycan RWD Schermafbeelding 2022-10-06 162616 (1)
Sponsored