Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have had a lot of troubles with my car and the use of the Connect app and communications in general. Luckily enough the Connect app has worked really well at times when I wanted to start a charge at any station in the Porsche Charging service, whether Ionity or others. My RFID Charging card has not worked great. But communications with the car has been a frustration and I have sent several issues to Porsche Smart Mobility Support.

They have been really good and have returned mails and also very proactively phoned me a couple of times. They have really tried hard.

My car is back from the latest workshop visit after the red warning about Electrical Fault etc, and also trying to sort out the connectivity issues. I had several phone calls from Smart Mobility and the latest suggestion from them was now to switch to the new app MyPorsche. I have iOS 15.2.1 and the latest app installed and deleted the Connect app. They advised that 3 apps would merge into one, Connect, Charging and something else. I have not used Charging app before since that worked so nice in Connect app, even if the car did not communicate with the app.

Below is a short summary of my experience to date and I would love to hear from somebody else about their experience. I think the app might work differently in different Regions and perhaps also in different Countries. My experience is clearly Europe and France so far.

Serious issues with the MyPorsche app
  1. Can not find any way to start charging at Ionity or other charging stations. Not available.
  2. Can not find any chargers at all around me. Nothing visible in the app. Not even if I zoom in where a charger is located.
  3. Map view will not show any chargers at all. Only when entering a destination and trip.
  4. Weird choice of charging stations and not usable at all. Prefer 50 kW cf 350 kW during a trip?
  5. No information on number of or vacant chargers in trip planning. Is it 1 or more chargers available?
  6. Trip reports now only have the latest trip visible, since start, since charging and Total. no other history. No graphics any longer.
  7. No information on Tyre pressure any longer.
  8. No information on when the last contact was established between the car and Porsche servers.
  9. Now it is needed to have two apps. Charging and MyPorsche to use the car on longer trips.
  10. Discover tab is not really needed or relevant. Marketing tool from Porsche
Good improvements compared with Connect app
  1. App seems to connect to car better, more reliable.
  2. Pre cool/heat works before leaving. But not possible to set temperature ?
  3. Setting and changing timers or profiles work.
  4. VIN number easily found. Often needed when communicating with Smart Mobility etc.
  5. No idea on what the Pairing code is?
  6. Great to easily find all the messages from Porsche Connect in one place. Invoices from charging and other from Porsche

Charging app now needed since it is not available in MyPorsche for me.
  1. Charging app is now necessary since there is no info in MyPorsche??? Step backwards.
  2. Charging app has some nice features, Charging history, not seen those before in such clear summary
  3. Charge app seems to have a setting for Charge time limit! Not tried it though.
  4. Charge app has the contract prices stated by country and type of charger. GREAT! Really useful when on a long trip through different countries.
  5. Charge app can filter between charger power and connector type. You can skip all chargers under say 150 kW!
  6. Number of vacant chargers are indicated ( are they really online?) Nice if this works.
  7. I can start my charging session with the app.
  8. I can find my way to the charger with Google maps. Not sure how I can get it to the cars navigator as yet?
I find it encouraging that these elements are there and work. Even if it means several apps.

Any views from others that have tried these apps is appreciated.
Sponsored

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
My car had usually charged fine on the home charger with the Connect App.

I switch to the MyPorsche app and deleted Connect.
Immediately had issues with charging. 3 times it was the red charging error and the one time it did charge it finished early with a partial charge.

Reinstalled Connect and uninstalled MP and all has worked well since... ?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
My RFID Charging card has not worked great.
This is something that has been rock solid for me. I've never had to use the Porsche Charging App to start a charge. One tap of the card starts chargers (IONITY and others) every time for me.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I have both apps installed – rarely use either – but definitely consider the MyPorsche app to not be ready for production. It in a messy transition. I think visually – it is moving in the right direction – but we've some time yet to go. I feel like they are pushing people over to it prematurely.

gdavison

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne E-Hybrid, Boxster GTS
Country flag
While not Taycan related, I was recently comparing Connect V My Porsche with my Cayenne Hybrid to send an email to Porsche and similar to your and others findings here (related to Taycan functionality) can say "My Porsche" app is sadly lacking compared to Connect

Functionality in Connect which is missing from My Porsche (for a Cayenne Hybrid)

* No Flash Headlights (to find in car park)
* No Sound Horn (to find in car park)
* No Ability to select / edit which seats are also heated when using preheat function
* Info displayed in Trip Data is massively reduced in My Porsche - only displaying the last Hybrid combined data for "since start" (of last trip), "since refueling" and "total" (all car life) .. Connect App also displayed data historically (click on bar charts and the detailed data would be displayed) with data visible for every trip , "since fuelling" ie stats for every tank of petrol and also a annual summary under "since".. This data was really useful as it allowed me to use the EV side of the vehicle to maximum
* No ability to display predicted range (both hybrid combined and EV only) on the map
* No ability to edit or use charging timers
* No display of Tyre Pressures
* No record of pairing code
* Only allows Alarms for Speed or location .. No ability for setting the "valet alarm" (simple on/off alarm based on combined speed / location changing)
* No Real time Traffic info on Map (explore option)
* No History record of alarms (location, speed, Valet)
* No historical display of use of lock / unlock via app or Car Alarm being triggered or Horn/Flashers "find me" in App being used

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have had a lot of troubles with my car and the use of the Connect app and communications in general. Luckily enough the Connect app has worked really well at times when I wanted to start a charge at any station in the Porsche Charging service, whether Ionity or others. My RFID Charging card has not worked great. But communications with the car has been a frustration and I have sent several issues to Porsche Smart Mobility Support.

They have been really good and have returned mails and also very proactively phoned me a couple of times. They have really tried hard.

My car is back from the latest workshop visit after the red warning about Electrical Fault etc, and also trying to sort out the connectivity issues. I had several phone calls from Smart Mobility and the latest suggestion from them was now to switch to the new app MyPorsche. I have iOS 15.2.1 and the latest app installed and deleted the Connect app. They advised that 3 apps would merge into one, Connect, Charging and something else. I have not used Charging app before since that worked so nice in Connect app, even if the car did not communicate with the app.

Below is a short summary of my experience to date and I would love to hear from somebody else about their experience. I think the app might work differently in different Regions and perhaps also in different Countries. My experience is clearly Europe and France so far.

Serious issues with the MyPorsche app
  1. Can not find any way to start charging at Ionity or other charging stations. Not available.
  2. Can not find any chargers at all around me. Nothing visible in the app. Not even if I zoom in where a charger is located.
  3. Map view will not show any chargers at all. Only when entering a destination and trip.
  4. Weird choice of charging stations and not usable at all. Prefer 50 kW cf 350 kW during a trip?
  5. No information on number of or vacant chargers in trip planning. Is it 1 or more chargers available?
  6. Trip reports now only have the latest trip visible, since start, since charging and Total. no other history. No graphics any longer.
  7. No information on Tyre pressure any longer.
  8. No information on when the last contact was established between the car and Porsche servers.
  9. Now it is needed to have two apps. Charging and MyPorsche to use the car on longer trips.
  10. Discover tab is not really needed or relevant. Marketing tool from Porsche
Good improvements compared with Connect app
  1. App seems to connect to car better, more reliable.
  2. Pre cool/heat works before leaving. But not possible to set temperature ?
  3. Setting and changing timers or profiles work.
  4. VIN number easily found. Often needed when communicating with Smart Mobility etc.
  5. No idea on what the Pairing code is?
  6. Great to easily find all the messages from Porsche Connect in one place. Invoices from charging and other from Porsche

Charging app now needed since it is not available in MyPorsche for me.
  1. Charging app is now necessary since there is no info in MyPorsche??? Step backwards.
  2. Charging app has some nice features, Charging history, not seen those before in such clear summary
  3. Charge app seems to have a setting for Charge time limit! Not tried it though.
  4. Charge app has the contract prices stated by country and type of charger. GREAT! Really useful when on a long trip through different countries.
  5. Charge app can filter between charger power and connector type. You can skip all chargers under say 150 kW!
  6. Number of vacant chargers are indicated ( are they really online?) Nice if this works.
  7. I can start my charging session with the app.
  8. I can find my way to the charger with Google maps. Not sure how I can get it to the cars navigator as yet?
I find it encouraging that these elements are there and work. Even if it means several apps.

Any views from others that have tried these apps is appreciated.
The missing charging feature is to make an appearance in week 11 2022 (March) apparently. Is available in US version.

Both apps are woefully inadequate, unreliable and functionally deficient.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is something that has been rock solid for me. I've never had to use the Porsche Charging App to start a charge. One tap of the card starts chargers (IONITY and others) every time for me.
I had the same experience up to about November last year. It worked every time on different networks. But suddenly it stopped. I asked for a new card and they said they would send me a new one. Then they came back and said NO. Since then it works perhaps once out of four times I tried. On different chargers. Not sure why but I have been able to start with the app.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
While not Taycan related, I was recently comparing Connect V My Porsche with my Cayenne Hybrid to send an email to Porsche and similar to your and others findings here (related to Taycan functionality) can say "My Porsche" app is sadly lacking compared to Connect

Functionality in Connect which is missing from My Porsche (for a Cayenne Hybrid)

* No Ability to select / edit which seats are also heated when using preheat function
* Info displayed in Trip Data is massively reduced in My Porsche - only displaying the last Hybrid combined data for "since start" (of last trip), "since refueling" and "total" (all car life) .. Connect App also displayed data historically (click on bar charts and the detailed data would be displayed) with data visible for every trip , "since fuelling" ie stats for every tank of petrol and also a annual summary under "since".. This data was really useful as it allowed me to use the EV side of the vehicle to maximum
* No ability to display predicted range (both hybrid combined and EV only) on the map
* Only allows Alarms for Speed or location .. No ability for setting the "valet alarm" (simple on/off alarm based on combined speed / location changing)
* No historical display of use of lock / unlock via app or Car Alarm being triggered or Horn/Flashers "find me" in App being used
Some very good points, thank you.
I have given up on any of the Lock, Unlock, Flsh and Horn features ever coming to my car. The HW for these functions is just not in the car. Confirmed by Smart Mobility!

gdavison

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think its unique to the system they use "historically" in the Cayenne (and other models with Connect functionality) .. we use the pairing Code to join the car to the connect services, I believe Taycan uses a different method to join car to connect servers

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why the heck won't they re-issue a new card? Let me guess: chip shortages. :mad:
You are correct! Chip shortage is what they have said.

I am waiting on their detailed response and hope this will come soon. They have been responsive and listened so I am interested to hear their way forward. I found a lot of good information and functionality in the Charging app, and it was stated this would be integrated into MyPorsche app soon.
we wait and see

gdavison

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

FWIW Dropped email to Porsche ([email protected]) re Differences of My Porsche and Connect Apps and they responded

Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars Great Britain.

I am sorry for the difference in services, following to move across to the new My Porsche app.

At this time, I cannot comment if the relevant services will be re-released at a later date, but I can confirm that I have saved your feedback here at Porsche Cars Great Britain, which is visible to all management levels in the UK and Germany.

Porsche Germany will update the UK market shortly on the next steps and what will be released, so please do await further contact shortly.

I am sorry I could not advise further at this time.

Kindest regards

J*** P****
Personal Case Manager
Porsche Customer Interaction Centre
On behalf of Porsche Cars Great Britain Limited Bath Road, Calcot, Reading RG31 7SE

Perhaps we all should tell them how bad My Porsche ?

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Connect app works great for me, so I’ve been reluctant to replace it with the new combined app. OPs experience confirms that.

Where can I get the charging app? I’ve not been able to find it.
I downloaded it from Apple App Store. I guess it is also available on Play store? But perhaps it is called something different in the US?

Porsche Taycan Some reflections on MyPorsche app vs Connect app. What's your experience? 5C365FA7-AC55-4347-835F-66F8FFA0BD9F
Sponsored