Someone Educate Mustang Block E Drivers!

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
This problem will not go away until the EVSEs are all the same and auto adjust to each vehicle. Most people don’t really care.

Last edited:

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I am really getting sick of these things making my charge stops longer by hogging 350kW pumps!!

It maxes out at 150kW guy!!

BCC0A1B5-378C-4CDE-93AD-B9D4DF102501.jpeg
I will go out on a limb and guess that most EV owners do not understand that it is the car that controls the rate of charge and therefore they plug into the 350s thinking that they will get a fast charge not even aware that their car cannot accept anything over a 150. But I do agree with you - it is entirely frustrating to get stuck in the situation that is in your picture. In retrospect the whole EV charging system(s) has not been and will continue to be not fully thought out. Why aren't all stations capable of 350??? No reason in my mind to have a station with 150s, 350s, etc. IF the car is in control of accepting the maximum charge that is within the individual car limitations. That of course, is assuming that I am understanding the variations of charging between different cars............

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Either prevent a car from charing at higher end charger or make all chargers 350kW. The F150 Lightnging also has a max of 150kW. So I expect this problem will be around for a long time. It's nuts
when it's a leaf plugged in.

Last edited:

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
People are either boneheads, or don't give a shit about anybody else, or both. Super frustrating.
I have a Taycan friend (female) that tried to politely explain to an ID4 owner to move over, and he told her he knew and could charge wherever he wanted.

EvFamily

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, dodge Ram
Country flag
Wow have some patience. Chargers may not have been available when they pulled up. Or maybe they can only pull up to certain charger bc of the port location. I have a mache and a taycan, Ill charge where I feel comfortable even if it’s not the exact match for my car. Or sometimes I have to take the charger meant for the other side bc the cord is so damn short and doesn’t reach. I’d be upset if someone asked me to move, like mind your business and have some patience.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
If that is an EA station, it could also be that only some chargers worked for some cars. At some EA locations there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which chargers work with which cars. I sometimes would try four chargers before I got one that worked with the Taycan while other folks with a variety of cars had no issues with those same four chargers. Other days the exact opposite was true - I would have no issues and other cars couldn't charge.

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Wow have some patience. Chargers may not have been available when they pulled up. Or maybe they can only pull up to certain charger bc of the port location. I have a mache and a taycan, Ill charge where I feel comfortable even if it’s not the exact match for my car. Or sometimes I have to take the charger meant for the other side bc the cord is so damn short and doesn’t reach. I’d be upset if someone asked me to move, like mind your business and have some patience.
Come on, man. That's pretty messed up. You never know other people's situations, and to rob them of valuable time because you don't care is never the right answer. If some of the terminals aren't working then I get it, but to blatantly say you'll charge where you want regardless of the situation is the root of the problem.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I can't really blame the Mach-E guy or the ID4 guy or even the Leaf guy. There's a fundamental lack of technical understanding on the part of the average EV owner and it's frankly up to the charging station companies to develop chargers that intelligently assign the correct wattage for the specific vehicle’s need. The average consumer will never recognize or care about the signage on a charger regarding wattage. I agree it's frustrating, but until the charging companies change their chargers, it's something we're going to have to live with.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
All EVSEs (AC & DC) automatically adjust the flow as determined by the vehicle - some confusion in what I read above. - therefore whatever stall is available is fair game IMHO.

Many reasons to do this not least the liklihood that the EVSE has been throttled and not delivering to its full capacity - most I've had is 125kW for a short period from a 350kW EVSE - should i have stopped my session and move to the adjacent 150kW EVSE, I rather think not.!?

When the Taycan is usurped by the next generation of high capacity charging cars and EVSEs are you really going to think twice about using it even though you know you can't consume the available power - I rather think not!?

Its dog eat dog out there!

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Generally I do. I don't even mention it to them. But today I'm on a very lengthy road trip home and my first three charges were ALL blocked on the 350kW by MAch-Es. Seriously.

The first one I was like "bad luck."
Second one I was like "this is really a problem EA needs to solve somehow."
By the third one I was pissed.

I lost an hour of time (or more) because of driver ignorance or selfishness.

The problem with these Mach E's is they sit at the pump for almost an hour, where I'd be in and out in 20 mins or so ready to free it up for someone else.

Many reasons to do this not least the liklihood that the EVSE has been throttled and not delivering to its full capacity - most I've had is 125kW for a short period from a 350kW EVSE - should i have stopped my session and move to the adjacent 150kW EVSE, I rather think not.!?
As a matter of courtesy, if I am at 35% SoC or better I use the 150kW pumps because there is no benefit to the 350's.

It's a real disappointment when you've managed your drive perfectly to roll in with 5% SoC, excited for a really fast charge, only to be blocked by Mach Es.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I can't really blame the Mach-E guy or the ID4 guy or even the Leaf guy. There's a fundamental lack of technical understanding on the part of the average EV owner and it's frankly up to the charging station companies to develop chargers that intelligently assign the correct wattage for the specific vehicle’s need. The average consumer will never recognize or care about the signage on a charger regarding wattage. I agree it's frustrating, but until the charging companies change their chargers, it's something we're going to have to live with.
I agree with this 100%. They really should just make all the dispensers perform the same, or at least adjust flow to the car's capacity.

Even the tiny sticker signage to determine which ones are 350kW are ill thought out.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I agree with this 100%. They really should just make all the dispensers perform the same, or at least adjust flow to the car's capacity.

Even the tiny sticker signage to determine which ones are 350kW are ill thought out.
The flow is adjusted automatically, right? The car's charger does this otherwise EVs would be exploding left, right and centre

What am I missing?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
This problem will not go away until the EVSEs auto adjust to each vehicle. Most people don’t really care.
It could go away sooner if they start charging for time at the "pump" rather than KWh, and the charge rate is proportional to the max charge capacity of the pump. This might even help with people who do have 350KW capable EVs, once their batteries get fuller, the charge rate slows down, so the person may just move to a slower charger to save money, but at the same time freeing up the 350KW "pump" for some other "thirsty" EV.
Sponsored