Sources: "Porsche recalls nearly 12,000 Taycan in the USA"

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
No idea. Don't think as you mentioned, this has ever been an issue for anyone and actually seems like a safety feature allowed in every market but the US.

It sounds like the car detects certain conditions and automatically engages the hazards. But I guess it might be a little zealous? Again, doesn't seem to be the case since no one actually is reporting this issue.
What issue is there to report? I believe it is just as you described, just that they forgot to deactivate it for the US market, same would happen if they allowed cars with matrix LED feature to be imported.
Sponsored

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is a bit more conspiracy than I think the reality warrants, to be fair.

Tesla is in hot water for OTA significant recalls mandated by the NHTSA. They had lawsuits in 2020, and again as recent as this month from the NHTSA.

This is likely Porsche following the NHTSA guidelines and regulations to the letter, rather than skirting or avoiding the regulations all together like Tesla, preventing themselves from ending up in the news with NHTSA fines, issues, or lawsuits.

Could this have been OTA? Quite possibly. Is this something that's permitted currently in US law by the NHTSA? No, not explicitly. Is Porsche willing to gamble reputation in publicity like Tesla? It doesn't seem so.
I don't think NHTSA requires the physical presence of the car in the dealership to make changes. They just want the paperwork to be filed.

I am willing to bet that the moment Porsche has the technical capability of rolling out these things via OTA, they will.

Not for our sake, but for the sake of their bottom line. Recalls like this cost real money really quick. Right now they owe $xxx to the dealers for each car updated...

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Just checked with my dealership and my Taycan is not affected. 2021MY, March-April build. They have reprogrammed other cars.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I am willing to bet that the moment Porsche has the technical capability of rolling out these things via OTA, they will.
OTA? not in a porsche. the promised OTA capabilities are MIA and porsche no longer markets the ability to push updates like tesla has been doing for years

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
OTA? not in a porsche. the promised OTA capabilities are MIA and porsche no longer markets the ability to push updates like tesla has been doing for years
Agreed, that's never happening on the current Taycan, and I bet even the refresh won't offer that.

But odds are the new Macan will, and the J-2, or whatever the next fully new Taycan replacement is called, will too.

Porsche is not categorically opposed to OTA - they just f'ed up and failed to deliver it for the Taycan.

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Agreed, that's never happening on the current Taycan, and I bet even the refresh won't offer that.

But odds are the new Macan will, and the J-2, or whatever the next fully new Taycan replacement is called, will too.

Porsche is not categorically opposed to OTA - they just f'ed up and failed to deliver it for the Taycan.
I don't see how this is a permanent issue. Given the fact the car has the capability, it's not outside the realm of possibility that it can't be retroactively enabled once they get their collective 'stuff' together.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't see how this is a permanent issue. Given the fact the car has the capability, it's not outside the realm of possibility that it can't be retroactively enabled once they get their collective 'stuff' together.
I'm saying: I really doubt the car has the capability and that Porsche has the processes in place for this to become a reality for any existing owners. I'm willing to take a wager that none of the MY20 and MY21 cars will ever see fully fledged OTA.

I also think that chances are good that they will skip this for all Taycans of this generation and LCI.

Giluke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Got my Safety Recall regarding the hazard warning light just today. Dealership says it won't take more than an hour to fix the issue. That is good news...

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Got my Safety Recall regarding the hazard warning light just today. Dealership says it won't take more than an hour to fix the issue. That is good news...
I just got my recall also...I have no plans to take it to the dealer for this (it certainly is not a critical issue; more of a technicality)..if car is at dealer for something else I will address at that time.

amamoy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Macan GTS, Range Rover, Ariel Atom
Country flag
Just received recall letter in the mail from Porsche. When I called the dealer they said they do not have this recall associated w my VIN and no knowledge of the recall.....

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
What you don't all realise is that when you think you are taking your car in for a quick recall regarding the hazard warning lights - what they are actually doing is a sneaky replacement of your main battery and changing the serial number without you knowing...

And you drive off a couple of hours later none the wiser.
?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Just received recall letter in the mail from Porsche. When I called the dealer they said they do not have this recall associated w my VIN and no knowledge of the recall.....
bring the letter to the dealership, implore them to seek advice from porshce

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag