f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Do we also have N-rated all-season tires available on this side of the pond?
I will buy a winter set, just not sure if I go for winter or all-season tires…
In one of the videos the tyre test guy did he pointed out there was a difference between tyres sold as all season in the USA and those sold as all season here.
I shall just buy whatever Porsche specify for winter tyres on the basis they should know, and just not sure which wheels.
Sponsored

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
In one of the videos the tyre test guy did he pointed out there was a difference between tyres sold as all season in the USA and those sold as all season here.
I shall just buy whatever Porsche specify for winter tyres on the basis they should know, and just not sure which wheels.
4 x 20” Porsche wheels with winter tyres at £4-5k doesn't seem too bad.
:)

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
So the tyre choice for the 20" Winter wheels is Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen 1 or Pirelli PZero Winter. Can't find reviews of the Pirelli at all. The Goodyear's seem 'OK'

Opinions? Tempted to go Pirelli as I've had a few sets of them and always reliable, but not 100%

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
One reason I have not bought winter tyres (apart from the cost and hassle of changing them) is the number of days we get when I go out in the morning and the temperature is 1 or 2 degrees and come back in the afternoon when it is 15 degrees. So I would have to sacrifice grip on one journey every day whatever my tyre choice. I think running summers for much of the year and all seasons in winter would probably be the best choice for where I live

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
One reason I have not bought winter tyres (apart from the cost and hassle of changing them) is the number of days we get when I go out in the morning and the temperature is 1 or 2 degrees and come back in the afternoon when it is 15 degrees. So I would have to sacrifice grip on one journey every day whatever my tyre choice. I think running summers for much of the year and all seasons in winter would probably be the best choice for where I live
All seasons and carry Autosocks in case you get caught in snow.
https://autosock.com/

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
On current electric SUV-ish all wheel drive car - couldn’t get a set of full winters (wanted either Pirelli Scorpion Winter or Michelin Latitude Alpin LA2) for love nor money last year so bought a set of all seasons Michelin CrossClimate.

They were half the price of the full winter tyres and seeing as I don’t drive to the highlands of Scotland or to the continent to go skiing it was a more than acceptable compromise.

The CC are appreciably better when it’s wet and in the single digit temps than pure summer tyres (Michelin LS3) no doubt not as good as pure winters on snow/ice but actually probably the more practical and cost effective choice for the gloomier months where we are.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I doubt that you will be able to perceive 'a noticeable performance difference' between 10º - 15º C between winter tyres and summer tyres.

In addition, although the temperature in the day may rise to 10-15, it is still usually wet/ damp on the roads.
I feel that a winter tyre will still probably be performing a lot better in the wet at 10º C than a performance summer tyre - I am not talking track driving but normal spirits road driving.

I feel the overall grip experience in our cold and very wet winters is well worth the change.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I don't plan on getting a set of winter tyres, but when the tyres supplied with my car wear out, I guess all season may be a better option. Or do they have significant downsides (performance/noise/safety) for the 5 or 6 months its a bit warmer?

Not sure why we don't get a choice of type, if not brand of tyres supplied with the car. I'd never given it a second thought as we don't live in an extreme climate.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd never given it a second thought as we don't live in an extreme climate.
Nor had I until the comparison on a company car.
The climate does span the ideal temperature range though, neither being cold enough for all seasons or winter all year nor warm enough for summer tyres to work well all year either.

It is a minor PITA to change them over, my local tyre place charges £20, I store them at home so £80 a year for my wife and I, not bad IMO.

I am cheapskate with a lot of things but not tyres.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Or do they have significant downsides (performance/noise/safety) for the 5 or 6 months its a bit warmer?
My seat of the pants thoughts: The Mich CC are on the same wheels dims as the LS3 summer tyres. So all else being equal they are the same manufacturer, same width and same profile. The grip on the summers really starts to fall off when it’s single digits temp. The CC definitely “squirm” more when it’s warmer (high teens and beyond). The LS3 are the tyre to have on in the summer without a doubt.

Consumption (electric) was also higher on the CCs but that is also a factor of lower temps in winter anyway.

Too early to tell wear wise, but I’d expect I wouldn’t match the mileage in the CCs compared to the LS3

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My seat of the pants thoughts: The Mich CC are on the same wheels dims as the LS3 summer tyres. So all else being equal they are the same manufacturer, same width and same profile. The grip on the summers really starts to fall off when it’s single digits temp. The CC definitely “squirm” more when it’s warmer (high teens and beyond). The LS3 are the tyre to have on in the summer without a doubt.

Consumption (electric) was also higher on the CCs but that is also a factor of lower temps in winter anyway.

Too early to tell wear wise, but I’d expect I wouldn’t match the mileage in the CCs compared to the LS3
This is my experience too.
Fuel consumption in summer on winter tyres is definitely worse than summer tyres and the handling squirmy so I don’t leave them on.

They almost certainly wear faster in any conditions since the rubber is softer and the tread blocks less stiff.

The wear pattern on the blocks of winter tyres is odd if used in summer (my wife did a year without putting her summer tyres back on once).
She isn’t that bothered by anything to do with cars so doesn’t bother to optimise anything, I have the opposite tendency :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So the tyre choice for the 20" Winter wheels is Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen 1 or Pirelli PZero Winter. Can't find reviews of the Pirelli at all. The Goodyear's seem 'OK'

Opinions? Tempted to go Pirelli as I've had a few sets of them and always reliable, but not 100%
Enjoyable watching the debates, thanks all :rock:

Any thought on this at all? I think I will go with Pirelli as I’ve at least used their summers before

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've gone with Pirelli. The cost of the wheel storage is £599 inc VAT and does not include the wheels being changed when the time comes to change them round. This does seem very expensive, but on the other hand, it's very convenient and keeps my wife happy with no wheels in the garage. Annoying.

Anyone else Reading/North Hants area have an option on wheel storage? None of the local garages I've asked will offer this as a service.

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
Interesting conversation, i picked my CT4S up at the beginning of this December, it came with Goodyear Eagle’s on 21’ rims. Does anyone know what type of tyre this is? I had expected Pirelli P Zeros.
Sponsored