Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
One crazy challenge: Tarifa to Nordkapp, one 100% Electric car: Porsche Taycan Turbo
Two friends: my son-in-law and I
Three objectives:
Complete a 30+ year dream: Drive from Tarifa, Spain to Nordkapp, Norway​
Demonstrate the maturity of the electric car and ultrafast charging infrastructure in Europe​
Gather data and live experiences to share with others​
Four Pirelli P7 21” tires on Mission E rims
Five months of intense planning
Six days, six thousand kilometers
Seven countries: Spain, France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway
Eight hours of sleep each night
Nine hours driving each day
10th of June: departure from Tarifa

Porsche Taycan Southernmost to northernmost roads of Europe: Tarifa to Nordkapp in a Taycan Turbo S ! 6000 kms. in six days…  total trip 12000kms. June 10 departure! Tarifa a Valencia
Porsche Taycan Southernmost to northernmost roads of Europe: Tarifa to Nordkapp in a Taycan Turbo S ! 6000 kms. in six days…  total trip 12000kms. June 10 departure! Valencia a Lyo
Porsche Taycan Southernmost to northernmost roads of Europe: Tarifa to Nordkapp in a Taycan Turbo S ! 6000 kms. in six days…  total trip 12000kms. June 10 departure! Lyon a Hamburgo
Porsche Taycan Southernmost to northernmost roads of Europe: Tarifa to Nordkapp in a Taycan Turbo S ! 6000 kms. in six days…  total trip 12000kms. June 10 departure! Hamburgo a Estocolmo
Porsche Taycan Southernmost to northernmost roads of Europe: Tarifa to Nordkapp in a Taycan Turbo S ! 6000 kms. in six days…  total trip 12000kms. June 10 departure! Estocolmo a Lulea
Porsche Taycan Southernmost to northernmost roads of Europe: Tarifa to Nordkapp in a Taycan Turbo S ! 6000 kms. in six days…  total trip 12000kms. June 10 departure! Lulea a Cabo Norte
Porsche Taycan Southernmost to northernmost roads of Europe: Tarifa to Nordkapp in a Taycan Turbo S ! 6000 kms. in six days…  total trip 12000kms. June 10 departure! BD403A78-F0BF-4907-A149-E18146C996E7

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What's your thoughts on winter tyres for the more northern parts of the route? Will there be ice/snow on the ground at that time of the year? Are you considering bringing the Taycan snow chains as a backup? I ended up not needing them on my trip – though there was a lot of ice and snow for most of the route because the Pirelli winter tyres were so good.

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am afraid most hotels I chose do not have destination chargers. My favorite hotel chain is Leading Hotels of the World which is an association of independent luxury hotels and I am using them everywhere except North of Stockholm, where there are none. However due to the abundance of ultra high-speed chargers on my route, I will try to arrive with a sufficiently charged Taycan or else charge at a nearby 50kw charger while we have dinner.

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, I have chosen mid-June as it is 99% sure I will not encounter snow anywhere. As a matter of fact my travel habits include taking the type 3 cable (which I have never needed) but not my PMMC.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you planning on returning by the same route?

If so, may I suggest you return down the E6 in Norway – spectacular route – and it being Norway – public and destination charging infrastructure galore. You could head to Kristiansand and ferry across to Denmark to pick up your continental Europe route home.

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My daughter lives in Malmö, so yes. I would love to drive thru Norway, but my wife will kill me if I extend the trip another week. She would have come along if I had taken it much easier, stopping to explore everything along the way and having a truck coming with us for carrying all our shopping ! From Malmö to Madrid, I may solo the trip as my wife will meet me there, but will be flying back as well.

I might drive Malmö to Wiesbaden, then on to Cognac and home. This part is undecided yet.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Which app are you using to plan the trip? Only A Better Route Planner or other apps too?

RaidenTsao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY20 E-tron 55. Taycan Cross Turismo 4 ordered
Country flag
Wow, that's a long trip. Will definitely follow your journey.
Few suggests:
  • Route in Finland is pretty boring in the north. You may encounter some reindeers, but that's it. I would recommend the Norwegian coastal route. (https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1mCwd-xNJ3StBAVxvXVmb4M5iEAjxLk5Y&usp=sharing). We took the ferry to Sweden and started our trip from Trondheim.
    Porsche Taycan Southernmost to northernmost roads of Europe: Tarifa to Nordkapp in a Taycan Turbo S ! 6000 kms. in six days…  total trip 12000kms. June 10 departure! Screenshot 2022-05-09 121454
  • Charging infrastructure in Finnish Lapland is still under development. I recommend reserving some contingency time just in case you end up with 22kw/50kw chargers
  • No need for winter tyres, but be prepared for 10ish degree up north.
Going South this year for a warm/hot summer, but not that South :D

Porsche Taycan Southernmost to northernmost roads of Europe: Tarifa to Nordkapp in a Taycan Turbo S ! 6000 kms. in six days…  total trip 12000kms. June 10 departure! Screenshot 2022-05-09 121532

RaidenTsao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY20 E-tron 55. Taycan Cross Turismo 4 ordered
Country flag
Norway route won't extend your trip significantly (1-2 days only).
  • Hamburg to Trondheim takes about 2 days if you take ferry from Hirtshals Denmark to Larvik Norway
  • Trondheim to Bjerkvik or so takes 1 day, and another day to Nordkapp
  • Return route could follow the Finland-Sweden-Denmark route (taking ferry from Rødbyhavn Denmark to Fehmarn Germany will also save significant time)

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have chosen the route that allows me to travel in the shortest time, not the most scenic or interesting. I will however be driving at speeds close to the speed limit due to consumption and the desires to keep my license and to pay no fines. In Germany, I will find a balance between consumption and speed depending on charger spacing. in my experience, traveling between 120-140 kmh, the average consumption is reasonable. So depending on the country, we will be around there. Obviously once we enter Norway, we need to be conscious that we are going to be crawling by Taycan standards.

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No ferries, as part of my dream is to drive all the way. I appreciate all your suggestions. However my route is pretty much set in stone from Tarifa to Nordkapp. I will have to improvise as we approach the date to adapt to ultra-fast charger availability, and we will be checking said availability when on route. I have tens of charging apps downloaded and configured. However my priority is to use the Ionity network with the Porsche Charging card throughout. I will also probably be using Iberdrola, Juice Pass (Endesa), Zunder (Easycharger), and Wenea while in Spain. In France, Fastned, and in Germany and Denmark, only Ionity should be enough. In Sweden and Finland, Fortum & Charge or Smoov, and InCharge in Norway. I have Chargemap as a fallback as well as credit/debit cards. Hopefully, I am well prepared for the charging aspect. As I am almost certain, at some point a charger will fail, we have alternate chargers of at least 50kw nearby everywhere. This would obviously delay a segment, but should still be manageable on our tight schedule.

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
While preparing for the trip I realized that unless I want to change tires along the way, I must change the rears before leaving. I will keep them as they will have 5-6000kms. use left. Another fact is I will probably ultra-fast charge (over 200kw) 50 times at least on this voyage.

joacimli

First Name
Joacim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sport Turismo M22 (2:nd Taycan), Porsche 968, 1992
Country flag
What's your thoughts on winter tyres for the more northern parts of the route? Will there be ice/snow on the ground at that time of the year? Are you considering bringing the Taycan snow chains as a backup? I ended up not needing them on my trip – though there was a lot of ice and snow for most of the route because the Pirelli winter tyres were so good.
Snow during that period, mid June is extreamly unusual. I've heard that there was some snow at the end of June in 2014, but then I guess it is only during a couple of hours. Usually most car owners change to summer tyres during april and may.
Sponsored