Sport chrono package with Porsche Design Clock

Leapfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hi everyone, I am a new member to the forum. I have had my Taycan RWD since July this year and overall I am delighted with it. However I would welcome any feedback from owners who have spec'd the chrono clock. It is a beautiful clock except when it comes to night driving. The hour and second hands do not illuminate sufficiently to make reading the time at a glance easy. It is really poor. Compare this to the standard chrono where the hands are fully illuminated and easy to read during night time driving. Anyone had a similar experience? I have not as yet approached Porsche on the matter.
Sponsored

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I believe this is by design where it is basically a copy of a wrist watch on the dash since the spec specifically states "markers in reflective only material" = "Hands in real metal and hour markers with White Super-LumiNova® elements". I just saw it on a GTS at the dealer and it was obvious that it is not lit up like the plastic SC timer and just a wrist watch on the dash as shown on the configurator. Therefore, the only way to make it brigher is to expose it to the sunlight. I still optioned and sticking with the choice as it looks unique and many times cheaper than the actual wrist watch. Bentley has a 230K Dash Clock option so here you go.

Porsche Taycan Sport chrono package with Porsche Design Clock 1670348164086

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I note you say the hands are fully illuminated on the standard clock - but there is only 1 hand. The useless second hand, ticking away above a digital clock. This is the most useless feature on my car. They should offer a clock like you have specced that is properly lit as an option

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
I agree that the Porsche Design clock's hands could be better illuminated at night, but it's not invisible either. It's adequate enough for me to tell time at night from the driver's seat. And even both my 7 and 9-year old kids claim they could read the time from the clock hands while sat in their booster seats in the rear at night... then again, they could've been cheating by looking at the digital time on the PCM lol

OP
OP

Leapfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thank you all very much for your comments. At least I now know there is not a fault, it is the way the clock is designed. Having said that I am still of the opinion there should be better illumination of the hands for the installed vehicle version.

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
If you haven’t already done so, there is a brightness setting for the clock. By default it is zero but you can turn it up and it does help a bit. On the Porsche Design subsecond clock, it only brightens the outer reference marks, but turning up the illumination on those does indirectly make the non-illuminated hands more visible as well.

Porsche Taycan Sport chrono package with Porsche Design Clock A8B84B24-4A93-472D-8EDA-81689F7E61CE

OP
OP

Leapfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks for mentioning this. I have turned this up and I agree it does help a little bit. Many thanks.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I would be tempted to add some discrete, tiny illumination LED hidden in the front of the clock. Personally I optioned the compass chrono, as I also find the regular chrono completely useless to me. If my only option was regular chrono (I want the chrono package with the drive mode selector), I would probably have removed it and replaced the dash cover with the plastic piece without it, or maybe replaced the chrono clock with a custom LED screen to display my own information, perhaps a clock too, or maybe radar/laser countermeasure status and alerts.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
or maybe replaced the chrono clock with a custom LED screen to display my own information, perhaps a clock too, or maybe radar/laser countermeasure status and alerts.
Yeah, a tiny led screen with info like battery % etc would be more modern.
Sponsored