SPORT mode all the time?

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is there any reason not to drive in Sport Mode ALL the time for daily driving?

There may be a v.small range drop, but daily commute were you are not worried about range and top up daily is there any reasons not to put it in sport mode all the time, would the slightly stiffer suspension/chassis setup cause more wear and tear as an example vs. Normal mode?

Anyone have any thoughts, with the slight sharper response vs. Normal, the pre-conditioning of battery and from my perspective the ride is fine and not uncomfortable at all for daily driving is there a reason not to?
Sponsored

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 S (s) Cayenne S, Taycan 4s, GT4 clubsport
Country flag
My individual mode is set to 1) sport suspension 2) sport plus chassis 3)lowered
I love responsiveness of the throttle and steering..as well as the amplified sport sound. But by selecting the middle ground for height and mid suspension, it helps smooth the ride and keep from scraping. It’s an easy click to go full sport plus when it’s time to play or normal for a road trip.
I sacrifice 9 miles of range. Like you...it’s a daily so I could care less.

ThumbsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan Turbo S; ‘20 Taycan Turbo (gone)
Country flag
Is there any reason not to drive in Sport Mode ALL the time for daily driving?

There may be a v.small range drop, but daily commute were you are not worried about range and top up daily is there any reasons not to put it in sport mode all the time, would the slightly stiffer suspension/chassis setup cause more wear and tear as an example vs. Normal mode?

Anyone have any thoughts, with the slight sharper response vs. Normal, the pre-conditioning of battery and from my perspective the ride is fine and not uncomfortable at all for daily driving is there a reason not to?
I’m curious as to what others think about this as well. I tend to be in sport plus all the time unless my dog or another passenger is in the car.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I’m curious as to what others think about this as well. I tend to be in sport plus all the time unless my dog or another passenger is in the car.
Sport plus most of the time. If I want something a little more relaxed, my Individual setting has the Sport settings but with the lower height setting of Sport Plus.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My daily driver set-up is Sport Plus drive mode, Sport chassis, low height.

Sport vs. Sport Plus drive means the battery is being heated if too cold (that will hurt efficiency on short trips), and the spoiler extends at 45 MPH (or somewhere around there).

I find sport plus chassis a bit too rough on most of our roads for daily driving but love it for entertaining driving, and I find normal chassis allows too much body roll even for daily driving - not that Taycan rolls much with the low CoG, just that after driving in Sport, I'm hooked.

Lowered vs. Low does mean slowing down at dips and speed bumps, but I like the more aggressive look of the car at low. And at speed it should offer lower cd (but the rear spoiler increases cd so those might offset).

Only thing I can think of that might give me pause on sport or sport plus drive is the use of the transmission. This is a new thing for Porsche - I wonder about it's longevity...

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm with @Bsteffes . Individual mode in Sport Plus, Sport Chassis, Lowered or Regular. Then swap to Range or Sport Plus depending on what I'm doing.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
just to be yet another +1 vote here .. I have a 4S without Sport Chrono so my options are just “Sport” (no Sport Plus, except manually in the suspension menu)

My routine when I get in the car is to instantly hit the SPORT button down on the lower screen ALWAYS! My daily commute is 22 miles round trip to/from work and its all surface streets. Car drives great in Sport Mode and shows its true colors. Plus it also turns on Regen/Recuperation which is a must coming from Tesla ownership. ;)

Given the weather here (snow belt at Cleveland, Ohio USA) I’ve been going between Normal / Lowered / Low depending on my needs. I have to jump a slight curb when I arrive to work so I always raise suspension with button then; await the same feature my Teslas had with GPS-based memory of this (know for 2021, but hope retro software to my 2020 with air)

My only complaint is that while ride height is sticky, the SPORT button is required every time I start the car. really wish i could set sport as default.

mokre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
just to be yet another +1 vote here .. I have a 4S without Sport Chrono so my options are just “Sport” (no Sport Plus, except manually in the suspension menu)

My routine when I get in the car is to instantly hit the SPORT button down on the lower screen ALWAYS! My daily commute is 22 miles round trip to/from work and its all surface streets. Car drives great in Sport Mode and shows its true colors. Plus it also turns on Regen/Recuperation which is a must coming from Tesla ownership. ;)

Given the weather here (snow belt at Cleveland, Ohio USA) I’ve been going between Normal / Lowered / Low depending on my needs. I have to jump a slight curb when I arrive to work so I always raise suspension with button then; await the same feature my Teslas had with GPS-based memory of this (know for 2021, but hope retro software to my 2020 with air)

My only complaint is that while ride height is sticky, the SPORT button is required every time I start the car. really wish i could set sport as default.
Like you, I have the 4s without the sport chrono package. I typically leave the driving mode in "Normal" with dampers on "Sport" and ride height at "Regular." I've found that for me this is the best balance of fun without having to constantly raise the nose for speed bumps and steep ramps. I don't have to set the dampers to "sport" every time I start the car either.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Like you, I have the 4s without the sport chrono package. I typically leave the driving mode in "Normal" with dampers on "Sport" and ride height at "Regular." I've found that for me this is the best balance of fun without having to constantly raise the nose for speed bumps and steep ramps. I don't have to set the dampers to "sport" every time I start the car either.
Interesting. So what you’re saying is that, like ride height, the car will remember the suspension setting (the “shock” symbol stays blue/sport mode?). That is good to know. My issue is, I don’t care for the “throttle” mapping in Normal mode. Coming from a Tesla Model 3 Performance, there was no sport mode it was always in it. There was a ‘chill’ mode good for winter driving but, if you wanted more efficiency, it was “user controlled” by your right foot LOL

For me the SPORT mode for both the shock settings and the accelerator mapping are my personal preferred blend, based on the cars I’ve owned. Compared to the Tesla, even in sport, the car rides better LOL but not surprised by that. I do agree about the lower suspension settings causing more reason to be alert, even the Porsche store during delivery reminded me to be careful there. But I’ve always had lowered cars (my model 3 had a 1“ lowering spring set on it) so again its par for the course for me,.

Thanks for sharing re: your findings; i may have to try that. see how it goes. But also, i want recuperation active always, so... the bottom line is porsche needs to give us “default” (upon startup) options, so we can all tailor our own cars to be our own personal tastes; defaulting to Normal drive with zero recuperation is Fine for some, not for others.

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
Interesting. So what you’re saying is that, like ride height, the car will remember the suspension setting (the “shock” symbol stays blue/sport mode?). That is good to know. My issue is, I don’t care for the “throttle” mapping in Normal mode. Coming from a Tesla Model 3 Performance, there was no sport mode it was always in it. There was a ‘chill’ mode good for winter driving but, if you wanted more efficiency, it was “user controlled” by your right foot LOL

For me the SPORT mode for both the shock settings and the accelerator mapping are my personal preferred blend, based on the cars I’ve owned. Compared to the Tesla, even in sport, the car rides better LOL but not surprised by that. I do agree about the lower suspension settings causing more reason to be alert, even the Porsche store during delivery reminded me to be careful there. But I’ve always had lowered cars (my model 3 had a 1“ lowering spring set on it) so again its par for the course for me,.

Thanks for sharing re: your findings; i may have to try that. see how it goes. But also, i want recuperation active always, so... the bottom line is porsche needs to give us “default” (upon startup) options, so we can all tailor our own cars to be our own personal tastes; defaulting to Normal drive with zero recuperation is Fine for some, not for others.
I drive a Turbo S and I only use normal when driving on a street with "speed bumps", or simply cruising in slow traffic in a slower city traffic. When I get in the car I immediately add recuperation as I like the sense of engine breaking this provides.

Otherwise my "normal" mode is Sport. When I am out of town I add Sport Plus which brings the car into 911 territory.

We have a 911 Turbo S as well and use the same parameters. From everything I have experienced after owning 10 Porsche cars, there is no negative effect on the transmission, the shocks or really anything else from driving in Sport mode.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I drive a Turbo S and I only use normal when driving on a street with "speed bumps", or simply cruising in slow traffic in a slower city traffic. When I get in the car I immediately add recuperation as I like the sense of engine breaking this provides.

Otherwise my "normal" mode is Sport. When I am out of town I add Sport Plus which brings the car into 911 territory.

We have a 911 Turbo S as well and use the same parameters. From everything I have experienced after owning 10 Porsche cars, there is no negative effect on the transmission, the shocks or really anything else from driving in Sport mode.
I want your garage!

mokre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag

Yeah, it remembers the damper setting. I wish it would remember the regen setting too. That's easily set with the button on the wheel...but I'm a lazy bugger who prefers to set it and forget it for everything.

I like sport mode too, honestly - if the car remembered the sport mode setting I would probably leave it in sport + normal height.

I do wish I had the individual settings but alas, I took dealer stock instead of waiting for a custom build :)

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I tend to stick with normal most the time on my daily commute. Speed bumps round the corner so normal allows me to waft over those nicely, and then there are several dips and holes in the road thereafter, and the traffic is usually just a rolling 80mph queue so I don’t see the need to get out of normal. Flick it to sport when I’ve got some space or looking at a difficult overtake.

I could happily be in sport most the time though, except for those damn speed bumps and potholes, I’d just have to be more careful around those

OP
OP

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In Sport (not sport plus) the default chassis height is Medium the same as Normal mode so there shouldn’t be any difference in height with the default value. I.e pressing sport button in the centre console.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Only thing I can think of that might give me pause on sport or sport plus drive is the use of the transmission. This is a new thing for Porsche - I wonder about it's longevity...
They (including local suppliers) know how to build a quality gear box with all their racing experience.
Sponsored