First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
I have 12,000 miles already and as a guess 95% of that has been in Sport +
After I get out of driving different work trucks all day I really look forward to the boost, so battery range is not on my priority list.
Love the car even with a tech glitch here and there !
Sponsored

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To answer the original question: yes.

Two big reasons for me to go with normal sometimes:

1) my driving makes my family members ill and normal improves this with less aggressive starts and stops.

2) When you take your foot off the accelerator in normal, you coast. I like that better for commuting than the more track centric mode in which the car automatically regens if you aren’t accelerating because it assumes you want to slow down if you aren’t speeding up.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
To answer the original question: yes.

Two big reasons for me to go with normal sometimes:

1) my driving makes my family members ill and normal improves this with less aggressive starts and stops.

2) When you take your foot off the accelerator in normal, you coast. I like that better for commuting than the more track centric mode in which the car automatically regens if you aren’t accelerating because it assumes you want to slow down if you aren’t speeding up.
Agree on #1 when others are in the car. #2 is a user-configurable option in every drive mode. That's what the steering wheel button (left cluster) is for.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You can reconfigure but I WANT the auto regen in the more aggressive modes. Normal is for commuting :)

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Guess it's personal preference but I'm not a fan of the auto-regen mode. I'd rather have to apply the brakes myself. Regardless if auto-regen or your foot is calling for deceleration, the car uses regen as much as possible before using the hydraulics.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Guess it's personal preference but I'm not a fan of the auto-regen mode. I'd rather have to apply the brakes myself. Regardless if auto-regen or your foot is calling for deceleration, the car uses regen as much as possible before using the hydraulics.
I’ve started to take to switching regen on if say someone pulls out in front on the motorway and I know taking my foot off won’t slow me down quite enough. Prefer to switch regen on than hit the brakes. Tested it on the commute today, finding it works pretty nicely for me

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Is there any reason not to drive in Sport Mode ALL the time for daily driving?
Because the car is more comfortable in "Comfort"?

I only use Sport/Sport+ when I specifically want it...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I’ve started to take to switching regen on if say someone pulls out in front on the motorway and I know taking my foot off won’t slow me down quite enough. Prefer to switch regen on than hit the brakes. Tested it on the commute today, finding it works pretty nicely for me
After 5 months, I find the regen button not a smart solution. The best regen is none at all, unless I hit the break padel, and at least that is standard in NORMAL mode.

The regen, like I had it on my ICE, is of absolutely no use whatsoever in any driving mode. Even at the Hockenheimring in the TS.

Press and hold the button to get the ACC regen, would be more useful, but to activate it, is too slow and driving with it all the time is annoying, because it breaks way too early.

So for me, NORMAL all the time never touching the regen button.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
After 5 months, I find the regen button not a smart solution. The best regen is none at all, unless I hit the break padel, and at least that is standard in NORMAL mode.

The regen, like I had it on my ICE, is of absolutely no use whatsoever in any driving mode. Even at the Hockenheimring in the TS.

Press and hold the button to get the ACC regen, would be more useful, but to activate it, is too slow and driving with it all the time is annoying, because it breaks way too early.

I don't know if I'm talking about the same thing then. I just mean the button on the steering wheel, picture of the battery. Hit that and I get the engine braking effect when I lift off the accelerator. Press it again and I don't.

I prefer to do that as it's easy and seems smoother than using the pedal if someone has pulled out and I can't slow down enough because the car is coasting so well.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag

Lots of Tesla drivers (gasp!) would disagree with you...

Many long-term (lazy) EV owners prefer not to have to move their foot from the pedal to brake unless necessary. "Single Pedal" driving requires much more precise throttle control but that skill is easily acquired over time. ...and the regen on the Taycan provides much weaker deceleration than a Tesla anyway.

You think holding a button down on the steering wheel is more convenient than simply adjusting your foot a fraction? This adds an unecessary level of complexity if you are trying to text and drive at the same time! ;)

Its best appreciated for highway cruising and around town. No one would think it to be of much value on a racetrack though (even in my 8 years of experience on the Nurburgring ;)).

The good thing is we can turn it on/off as desired. I'm glad Porsche gave us that option.

Last edited:

550superfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What is happening with the gearbox?
Normal - just in 2nd all the time?
Sport and Sport Plus 1st gear up to 65mph or so? Then up into 2nd? Dropping back to 1st at 50mph ish ?
That's what it feels like to me.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
What is happening with the gearbox?
Normal - just in 2nd all the time?
Sport and Sport Plus 1st gear up to 65mph or so? Then up into 2nd? Dropping back to 1st at 50mph ish ?
That's what it feels like to me.
If you floor into in normal it drops into 1st.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Lots of Tesla drivers (gasp!) would disagree with you...
I don't think about my MS90D anymore, unless somebody brings it up! ;)

You think holding a button down on the steering wheel is more convenient than simply adjusting your foot a fraction?
None of the buttons gives you a proper one pedal driving.

This adds an unecessary level of complexity if you are trying to text and drive at the same time! ;)
You got me, that is a real problem! But then why do we spend a lot of money on ACC, InnoDrive, etc? ;)

Many long-term (lazy) EV owners prefer not to have to move their foot from the pedal to brake unless necessary. "Single Pedal" driving requires much more precise throttle control but that skill is easily acquired over time.
Totally agree with you. But then I drove my MS90D recently, and I found myself being annoyed, that I could not find the sweetspot, where the car coasts. I suddenly found that tiring and would have switched it off, if possible...

And I do remember these situations: You need to break, you let go of the pedal for the full regen to kick in, and then you hope it is enough, if not you rush to stomp on the break pedal.

Considering both problems I now prefer the NORMAL mode in my Taycan. Accelerate hard, take the foot off and let it fly...

The good thing is we can turn it on/off as desired. I'm glad Porsche gave us that option.
YES! Of course even better if the car could remember it.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I prefer to do that as it's easy and seems smoother than using the pedal if someone has pulled out and I can't slow down enough because the car is coasting so well.
Press and hold the button for traffic assisted regen based on ACC.

jimshadow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, DB9, 599, Denali, X1, Tiguan
Country flag
I drive in Sport Plus with the car lowered most of the time. Moved it to Sport with a little dusting of snow last week, then to Normal when my wife was riding with me to dinner...otherwise back to Sport Plus..The earlier post got me thinking as I also have a 4S w/o Sport Chrono and my suspension settings stay with whatever I set them. Ran out to the garage to take a pic.....

Porsche Taycan SPORT mode all the time? DF12A059-15E3-476A-A330-9AF67C89807B
Sponsored