Sport Sound: any app developers? Porsche pay attention!

Peter W

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hammeryachts.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT -2016 Cayenne-1997 911 vesuvio grey
Country flag
Hello Forum,
I opted for 'sport sound' on my Taycan CT but I don't like the sound of it. I have turned it on once or twice. Not my thing.
As it is(just) electronic, I wonder if it can be changed to something else.
I am sure Porsche took it through a focus group, but as it most likely is just some software, perhaps it can be redone to sound more like my naturally aspirated Panamera GTS (which I replaced with the Taycan).
What does the forum think?
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I dislike the sound as well. I'm sure it can be changed just like the Tesla ability to play music on the exterior speaker. It would be neat to have the ability to play a variety of Porsche engine sounds that would adapt to throttle and braking inputs.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
I thought I would love it, but now only use it on first person new test drives for a few moments.
I fail to understand why this has its own HW sub-system, the existing audio system should do
this feature. Poor system engineering. They should let a couple of young SW engineers spend
a man week and make it useful and fun!

That could completely change if they did "the right thing"!
1. It should have volume control
2. It should have multiple configurable sounds
- Porsche turbo engine(s)
- screaming F1 engine
- Big American V8
- Galloping horse. No way a stodgy German company does anything fun. Taycan means
Spirited young horse in Turkish according to Porsche...
3. Selection should be part of personal parameters stored when starting off driving.

I'm a SW engineer, this is an easy, safe upgrade!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
- Galloping horse. No way a stodgy German company does anything fun. Taycan means
Spirited young horse in Turkish according to Porsche...
+1 for galloping horse. I’m going to roll my window down and make that sound until it’s available.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I think there is a common misconception that the sound module generates an artificial sound source. If you study the module parts, plainly it includes a pickup microphone for the engine and transmission sound. This sound source is then altered in much the same way that an electric guitar sound is amplified and otherwise modified by an effects pedal. Depending on how much it differs from an effects pedal, I don't think it involves much real-time software running within the module or even much software interface, unless it is for simple controls, such as those used to change the volume level (maybe just to select preset hardware settings).

Let's get real here. I'm pretty tired of reading various publications falsely claiming that Porsche generates a fake sound, as though it is completely synthetic, when the source is the genuine Taycan drivetrain.

FWIW, I like to use it in situations where I want to be able to monitor the drivetrain behavior and output level closely, and I'm driving solo somewhere that doesn't have a lot of traffic. For that, it works great. ...and, yeah, sometimes to impress a first-time rider.

Much of the time I have it shut off so that I can hear a passenger's conversation, music, or ambient outside sound (like sirens).

Last edited:

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
+1 for galloping horse. I’m going to roll my window down and make that sound until it’s available.
You can do this on any Tesla. It's called "Coconuts" and it sounds like a galloping horse outside your car.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think there is a common misconception that the sound module generates an artificial sound source. If you study the module parts, plainly it includes a pickup microphone for the engine and transmission sound. This sound source is then altered in much the same way that an electric guitar sound is amplified and otherwise modified by an effects pedal. Depending on how much it differs from an effects pedal, I don't think it involves much real-time software running within the module or even much software interface, unless it is for simple controls, such as those used to change the volume level (maybe just to select preset hardware settings).

Let's get real here. I'm pretty tired of reading various publications falsely claiming that Porsche generates a fake sound, as though it is completely synthetic, when the source is the genuine Taycan drivetrain.

FWIW, I like to use it in situations where I want to be able to monitor the drivetrain behavior and output level closely, and I'm driving solo somewhere that doesn't have a lot of traffic. For that, it works great. ...and, yeah, sometimes to impress a first-time rider.

Much of the time I have it shut off so that I can hear a passenger's conversation, music, or ambient outside sound (like sirens).
I DO wish the car made more artificial sounds to make it a more emotional ride. Unless they did a terrible job of design I'm sure the HW could synthesize different sounds. My previous Corvette had a dual mode exhaust (very different mechanism), when you wanted that loud
V8 sound it was nice to turn on. 90% of the time I turned it off because I wanted
much quieter ride. I'm guessing there is at least one DSP shaping the sound IN
REAL TIME, that could be used to generate different sounds. Even according to
Porsche "... sport sound is skillfully composed and tailored to
the vehicle’s personality and vehicle status. " Even they say sound adds to the driving
experience. This is a cheap SW only change, without danger (no affect on drive train). Last
weekend at a car show, several Ferraris and Lamborghinis drove off in a emotional
clatter of sound, sadly nothing when I drove off, even though my Taycan was faster...
I'd guess they have not played with this feature just do to timing and extra cost until
consumers ask for this. Not to mention Porsche being overly conservative keep
everything "pure" silly philosophy.

IMHO only people that never listen to the audio system probably don't want a nice audio
experience from the car. Today the built in audio system overlays various sounds, voices
etc from different sources, easy to add this to that system as well. Bose already does
speed sensitive adjustments to the audio system.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/sound-18556.html

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I dislike the sound as well. I'm sure it can be changed just like the Tesla ability to play music on the exterior speaker. It would be neat to have the ability to play a variety of Porsche engine sounds that would adapt to throttle and braking inputs.
pink floyd: welcome to the machine :angel:
(btw: i like sport sound and i’m using it in areas where are (wild) animals, runners, cyclists, etc…)

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
just some thoughts from reading this that came to mind.

1. does/can/should, the internal audio system use noise-canceling
sounds that offset the external environment? We installed this in my NYC office and you actually don't hear anything, but it tricks your ears that it is quieter than it actually is, by sending out opposing sound waves that cancel the environmental noise. I think it that would be a neat feature that could be added.

2. I also drive in areas with wildlife and I remember growing up people would buy the 'deer whistles' that you stuck to your front bumper, that emitted a high-pitch that demystified deer that found themselves hypnotized by your headlights. I am wondering if this could be incorporated into the thermal camera/night vision system and it emit a wildlife deterrence system to avoid potential back road disasters?

3. I think this next idea, would be a fun and novel system; I call it - "sports/exotic car external exhaust sound subscription/purchase": to have a large enough horn/type (think Klipsch Heritage) speakers that you could choose your favorite sports/exotic car and institute that vehicles 'exhaust tone'. I would love to hear a N/A V-12 type of sound! With the ability to set-and-press the diamond-programmable button on the steering wheel to act as a 'clutch'; and while holding down the button, one could press the throttle-pedal (I guess it is no longer a 'gas pedal'....maybe an 'electron pedal'??) and electronically rev the virtual engine....complete with crackle-n-pop of the negative pressure.
I honestly would pay up to $1000 for item #3 if they would support it over time and you could go to a website and choose the engine/tones that you want, :rock: where they would update this with more cars every month, or when new cars are released. Heck, I would even pay a subscription to this if it helps bring it to market and that offers a more sustainable revenue model for them to consider.

Last edited:

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I wouldn’t say Porsche helps in this regard when they put out marketing materials like this:

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I wouldn’t say Porsche helps in this regard when they put out marketing materials like this:
100% agreed.

Still, there are these gems from the Porsche team, too:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a21236371/what-is-the-sound-of-an-electric-porsche/

// “It’s not going to have a synthetic sound in terms of a Starship Enterprise sound or a synthetic naturally-aspirated-engine sound,” said Stefan Weckbach, Porsche’s head of electric-vehicle development, this past week during our drive of the Mission E Cross Turismo. “What we will do is take the natural sound of the e-motors and the power electronics, as you can hear in this car already, and try to amplify it.” //

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/sound-18556.html

//The Porsche Electric Sport Sound makes the vehicle's own drive sound even more emotionally charged and richer with its innovative character both on the outside and inside. For this purpose, disturbing noises from the drive architecture are deliberately minimised and harmonious, emotive sounds matching what the car is doing are amplified. These are composed in such a way that a sound experience typical of Porsche is created: with a clear electrical statement but unquestionably the sound of a genuine Porsche. The driver can activate and deactivate the Electric Sport Sound by selecting the Sport Plus driving mode directly in the Drive menu of Porsche Communication Management (PCM) or via the configurable joker keys.//

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Hello Forum,
I opted for 'sport sound' on my Taycan CT but I don't like the sound of it. I have turned it on once or twice. Not my thing.
As it is(just) electronic, I wonder if it can be changed to something else.
I am sure Porsche took it through a focus group, but as it most likely is just some software, perhaps it can be redone to sound more like my naturally aspirated Panamera GTS (which I replaced with the Taycan).
What does the forum think?
If you are going to make an artificial noise, you should at minimum make it a cool one (like this i3 Jetsons sound effect).
And perhaps the car could also talk to us in a synthesized voice like the Jetson's dog, Astro, eg "Your whights are whon, Whorge." One more point on the subject, siri-ously, why do we need to activate voice control with the command "Hey Porsche"? Why not let us decide? I'd much prefer something like "Hey Bitch, call Home."?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
My friend has a Mustang Mach E.
It has the fake V8 sound option.
We both agreed its completely embarrassing and never to be used in public.

I don't even care for the Porsche Taycan Sport Sound (separate thread on that) - but I personally think it's as good as anything for an electric car. At least it is the actual sound the car makes, amplified.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
My experience from neighbourhood.
when I’m coming home, part of (my) road goes close to my neighbour’s fenced meadow with sheep. The distance between road and fence is about 25m.
Looks that they were familiar to the sound of diesel since they never ran away.
Yesterday, when I was approaching (without sports sound), the whole heard ran away very fast…looks that they didn’t like the noise at all…
Sponsored