If you have Sport Sound in your Taycan - do you use it most of the time?

• Total voters

Andy0565

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IPace
Country flag
For all the people who love it, I wonder how many of you have stood outside while someone drove by you with it on. It sounds so phony and it’s fairly obvious that it’s a speaker noise and not the drivetrain.

The first time a Taycan drove by me with it on, it was so loud and fake that it just screamed ‘look at me!’ To me it’s akin to people who think the loud pipes on their moto makes them cool, when most people just think they’re a douche canoe. It’s the brap brap brap of EVs.

Far better people in car parks think ‘look at that prat with his fake EV sound’ than ‘what just ran over me’!

I think it’s important that these things make a noise when there are pedestrians about, especially as they’re often distracted by their phones, so they’re only using their ears to navigate traffic in these situations.

As for the idea of amplifying the real noises made by the car with a little creativity, I think it’s a nice touch.

But maybe you’d prefer beeping combined with warning announcements, similar to lorries when they reverse?

Anyway, yes, I do use my sports sound to get people’s attention and I think that’s a good thing.
Sponsored

Kiyofumi

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Always have it "ON" in the city, so other can be alerted of my present, and "OFF" on highways when I just enjoy the quietness. Which counts as 50% of the time I will have it ON?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Interesting thread. So much drama lol.

I live in a pretty affluent costal area and there are more Taycans here than Toyotas. I have never even ONCE heard anyone using the fake sound. I don’t have it, don’t regret it and would never use it. And no, I don’t regret leaving it off my build.
If you don't have any experience how can you tell you don't regret it don't having it?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Only we know it's "fake". Most people on the street believe it's the real sound coming from the motor/transmission.
:CWL: No, they don’t. It’s patently obvious that it’s a phony sound. Way too loud and Star Wars-y sounding. And most people know that electric cars are virtually silent by nature and legally require some artificial sound for pedestrians.

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I find it slightly odd that people need it to warn pedestrians.
Personally I have always considered pedestrians to have right of way in towns and car parks and drive accordingly.
I have had near silent at low speed cars, hybrid or electric, for 18 years now and never had a pedestrian walk out in front of my car.
I do sometimes have to follow somebody walking in a car park before they notice me, but a MUCH bigger problem for a silent car is cyclists in the countryside IME.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Personally I have always considered pedestrians to have right of way in towns and car parks and drive accordingly.
I have had near silent at low speed cars, hybrid or electric, for 18 years now and never had a pedestrian walk out in front of my car.
I do sometimes have to follow somebody walking in a car park before they notice me, but a MUCH bigger problem for a silent car is cyclists in the countryside IME.
A few years ago (pre covid, pre brexit) I went to London. I was almost ran over by a Prius and I wasn't even staring at my phone. Damn thing silently came out of nowhere.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
_They_ would still be surprised to discover a car approaching, irrespective of how careful the driver may be. A bit of noise is a good thing.

(And fully agree with the problem being far more serious for cyclists.)

Reactions: B61

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I presume
A few years ago (pre covid, pre brexit) I went to London. I was almost ran over by a Prius and I wasn't even staring at my phone. Damn thing silently came out of nowhere.
I presume it was on a road or car park not the pavement??? ;)

I must say hearing is, for me, a very important part of my awareness of my environment. I feel totally vulnerable wearing earphones, for example and I have always thought if people believe in legal enforcement of noise from vehicles the corollary should be legal enforcement of banning headphones when walking, cycling or jogging. It is already considered to be (because it is) driving without due care and attention to drive in headphones in the UK iirc.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I presume it was on a road or car park not the pavement??? ;)
Crossed a back alley without properly looking or maybe I looked but the car was coming from the wrong side of the road. 🤣

I do remember being shocked and thinking "aren't EVs supposed to make noise at low speed?" because that Prius definitely wasn't.

But I get your reasoning and you're right but generally people are distracted nowadays. It happens

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
:CWL: No, they don’t. It’s patently obvious that it’s a phony sound. Way too loud and Star Wars-y sounding. And most people know that electric cars are virtually silent by nature and legally require some artificial sound for pedestrians.
You have too much faith in humanity but ok. Fair enough.

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Crossed a back alley without properly looking or maybe I looked but the car was coming from the wrong side of the road. 🤣

I do remember being shocked and thinking "aren't EVs supposed to make noise at low speed?" because that Prius definitely wasn't.

But I get your reasoning and you're right but generally people are distracted nowadays. It happens
I pay a lot of attention to pedestrians nowadays, too many mesmerised by a phone or wearing ear phones jogging!

I read about the proposal about EVs and hybrids making a fake noise to alert pedestrians but don’t know in which country it may be required, I don’t think in the UK neither my hybrids nor Taycan have had such a thing.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I pay a lot of attention to pedestrians nowadays, too many mesmerised by a phone or wearing ear phones jogging!

I read about the proposal about EVs and hybrids making a fake noise to alert pedestrians but don’t know in which country it may be required, I don’t think in the UK neither my hybrids nor Taycan have had such a thing.
It’s the law in the US at low speeds, and the Taycan definitely has it. I thought the EU passed a similar law in 2021.

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
The GTS ESS is much better than the original ESS. I have it set to be on with my custom drive mode, which I drive with 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time is with Sports Plus and it’s on by default. Love it and feels weird with it off now.
Sponsored