oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
After the Cross Turismo was unveiled, I found this news article that said that other body styles might be put into production if there is a demand for it, among them, the Sport Turismo was mentioned.

So, I thought, let's go back and see what kind of body styles Porsche has already tried out since we now have the answer to which prototypes were production ready Cross Turismos.

I have found several that do not have the plastic trim bits around the fenders or the skidplate that you can see, especially in the rear. These pictures were mostly posted in November 2020, I presume they tried out the cars then. One of them even had the sport design package, which isn't even offered on the Cross Turismo.

While it is uncertain if Porsche will introduce this car, it seems to be almost production ready(?)

Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo might still be coming? 1615060783490

Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo might still be coming? 1615060802416

Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo might still be coming? 1615060835025

Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo might still be coming? 1615060853410

More links:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ld-s-most-expensive-station-wagon-154007.html
https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/porsc...e-taycan-sport-turismo-spied-testing-pictures
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121620_2021-porsche-taycan-cross-turismo-wagon-spy-shots-video
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2021-porsche-taycan-cross-turismo-spotted-no-disguise

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Maybe as configuration options (taking things off the car) rather than as its own model post live ?

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
This is the perfect car. I hope they announce this before the cross turismo configurations lock so we have the opportunity to switch!

AhsanU

First Name
Ahsan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GT3
Country flag
What would the differences between a Sport Turismo and a Cross Turismo even be? Tbh, I'm quite pleased with the CT - just wish it didn't have the plastic black fenders is all.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I can't see two Taycan wagons side by side and competing the the Panamera ST. Seems improbable and over dilution within the brand and range.

Expect a coupé before 2 wagons.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Your "spy" photos posted above, widely circulated previously, are the same car as the CT, just perhaps minus the black trim bits... So what you want is the CT at the lower (Taycan sedan) ground clearance and without the black trim, it appears, and you'd call that a ST... It should be easy enough for Porsche to do...

OP
OP
oalsaker

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Your "spy" photos posted above, widely circulated previously, are the same car as the CT, just perhaps minus the black trim bits...
I disagree, because not only is the side trim different but also the skidplate/rear diffusor. While the two versions most likely have the same body panels, there are more differences. One was even shown with the sport design package (like I said above) which is not offered on the CT. What I found interesting is that these were posted last November meaning that it's not an early preproduction.

This doesn't mean this car will make it to production, though, since the two body styles might be too alike.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
This is the perfect car. I hope they announce this before the cross turismo configurations lock so we have the opportunity to switch!
Agreed, I’m definitely in line for that. In fact I might just see if I can put myself in the queue now. This would definitely be my preferred choice

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I still don't see how Porsche can make 2 identical cars (bar a few bits of unsightly plastic) make one 20mm taller than the other and then differentiate as a Cross or Sport Turismo. Seems nuts to me.

They did not do it with the Panamera Sport Turismo (which the Taycan variants closely resemble and are of the same proportions) so why do it now and have 3 wagons to choose from?

Rumour is there will be a Gen 3 Panamera (hybrid and possibly full electric).

I'm glad there is a Turismo variant (I would have had that had they not delayed the launch by 6 months) coming from a Panamera but the brand does not need this level of dilution (they have Audi for that).

OP
OP
oalsaker

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Porsche does some weird things sometimes though. There is a 911 coupe, cabrio and targa. With the body panels of the Sport Turismo being (most likely) exactly the same as the Cross Turismo, it would be fairly cheap to produce, the only question for them is whether there would be demand for it when they have a similar model already.

GlasgowTaycanCT

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S ordered, LR Discovery, i8, Macan
Country flag
Porsche does some weird things sometimes though. There is a 911 coupe, cabrio and targa. With the body panels of the Sport Turismo being (most likely) exactly the same as the Cross Turismo, it would be fairly cheap to produce, the only question for them is whether there would be demand for it when they have a similar model already.
I suppose the Targa was different as they were "forced" to make the Targa for the American Market.... Before regulations changed and then it wasn't necessary.

They kept it because there was a small market for it.

However in this case, I'm not sure if there's enough of a market for a Taycan Sport Turismo alongside the Cross Turismo?

My prediction is Macan EV and Cayenne EVs next

But as you said.... Who knows. Porsche occasionally does weird things ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm certain the body will be identical (interior is for sure) minus the bolt on plastic arches and the like.

The Panamera Sport Turismo was not a big seller in US and i suspect the same will happen here - a niche within a niche.

Too many Accountants running the show I fear.

Choice is a good but this is a little odd. The 911 analogy is a good one but each model is different and has different performance characteristics whereas the Sport Turismo and Cross Tourismo will be exactly the same.

OP
OP
oalsaker

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I would presume that the ST will lose any of the offroad capabilities like the skid plate, the raised suspension option and the plastic protectors on the wheels, while getting certain things from the sedan, like the sport package etc.

I have seen several interviews lately where Porsche reiterates that there might be other Taycan models coming _if there is demand for it_ and regular station wagons sell in Europe but not in the US. I think the question is still if there is enough demand for it, and I don't think I can answer that.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I would presume that the ST will lose any of the offroad capabilities like the skid plate, the raised suspension option and the plastic protectors on the wheels, while getting certain things from the sedan, like the sport package etc.

I have seen several interviews lately where Porsche reiterates that there might be other Taycan models coming _if there is demand for it_ and regular station wagons sell in Europe but not in the US. I think the question is still if there is enough demand for it, and I don't think I can answer that.

Yeah there is certainly precedent for doing this within the VW Group. They have a Golf Alltrak wagon and a regular wagon (only differences are ride height and plastic cladding). Similarly, A6 wagon can be had in "allroad" form. Although what generally seems to happen is that the US only gets the lifted version of the wagon (current A6 and MB E class wagon are 2 examples). So, could be that in the US we never see the sport turismo version. Given how small the differences are, it wouldn't be much cost for them to offer both.
Sponsored