Sport Turismos for all - which one would you pick (4S, GTS or Turbo)?

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
I would have LOVED a CT GTS! No reason why there isn’t one and I would have switched to that in a heartbeat from 4S.
To me ST GTS is best, because
- Already all blacked out as standard
- Sportdesign as standard
- RS wheels are cool for not too much £ but I would have gone Mission E which are THE signature wheels on Taycan to me
- Sweet spot power wise
- Good level of standard equipment, closer to Turbo than 4S
- You can get a LOT of car, to your taste by adding less than £10k extras and it will be cheaper than a base Turbo

Just waiting for the CT GTS hoping it lands before my 4S locks!
Sponsored

spudgun

First Name
Harald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sports Turismo
Country flag
I would have LOVED a CT GTS! No reason why there isn’t one and I would have switched to that in a heartbeat from 4S.
To me ST GTS is best, because
- Already all blacked out as standard
- Sportdesign as standard
- RS wheels are cool for not too much £ but I would have gone Mission E which are THE signature wheels on Taycan to me
- Sweet spot power wise
- Good level of standard equipment, closer to Turbo than 4S
- You can get a LOT of car, to your taste by adding less than £10k extras and it will be cheaper than a base Turbo

Just waiting for the CT GTS hoping it lands before my 4S locks!
According to my Porche-dealer you will probably never see an CT GTS beacuse of the increased ride hight of the CT and the "off road" looks.

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
According to my Porche-dealer you will probably never see an CT GTS beacuse of the increased ride hight of the CT and the "off road" looks.
Maybe worth asking your dealer what he thinks about the Macan GTS and Cayenne GTS ride height ?

Since they used the GTS badge on SUVs, no reason not to extend to CT… I’m not asking for a CT GT3!

Last edited:

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
I guess we all knew that in time Porsche would muddy and at the same time dilute the waters and roll out the Sport Turismo (ST) body style across the range shortly after the launch of the GTS ST.

From the start of my Taycan adventure I always wished and hoped for an ST body to replace my Panamera ST but was "let down" by Porsche who then decided to introduce the Cross Turismo (CT) which unfortunately didn't whet my appetite (the plastic arches incident) and felt sure at the time the ST would have been higher on their launch agenda.

Now, having been in front of the line to place an order for the GTS Sport Turismo since last year which has features I'd rather not have (Sport Design pack for one) I'm in a right quandary whether to jump ship and switch to either a 4S ST or Turbo ST or hold fast!

With care there are 'savings' to be made and cosmetic advantages to be gained so what to do?

Anyone else in a similar position and possibly sitting on the fence?
I understand your black arches comment about a CT. My solution was to order a black car. Not really clear what the benefits of the ST are? Sits a bit lower, possibly longer range but essentially the same car and similar market. I prefer the CT 21 in wheels from all the offerings which in part swung it for me to keep with CT 4S order.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Slightly different opinion from me here:

I’d been eyeing up a Taycan for quite some time, but didn't want a saloon (it’s to replace my RS4) and the combination of the elevated ride height and plastic body cladding of the CT really didn’t appeal.

I was pretty sure there would be an ST version at some point so was happy to wait until that was announced.

Had there not been a GTS choice, I would have been choosing between a 4S and Turbo, most likely the former, as I was trying to manage the overall costs.

However I was hopeful that the GTS would be announced sooner rather than later, as I had expected it would tick pretty much all of my boxes:
- positioned between turbo and 4S
- most driver-focussed model (so far)
- sporty appearance (black trim) etc
- includes matrix lights and some other options I would have ticked on a 4S
- historically strong residuals for GTS trim

Hopefully it will be arriving in Q2 2022, ready for a driving tour in the summer.

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I understand your black arches comment about a CT. My solution was to order a black car. Not really clear what the benefits of the ST are? Sits a bit lower, possibly longer range but essentially the same car and similar market. I prefer the CT 21 in wheels from all the offerings which in part swung it for me to keep with CT 4S order.
Physically the same car so no advantage on that front. CT additional ride height (not needed for most) and a gravel mode which I'm sure is a little gimmicky - who will soft road in expensive 21" alloys at the end of the day?

For me it's a cosmetic choice to have an ST over a CT. For those in America the choice is further limited to the GTS being available in ST and saloon format only and not the other variants (RWD, 4S, TURBO, TURBO S). Considered opinion suggests this is due to the poor sales of the Pana ST in US where cross overs are more popular. Time will tell.

Last edited:

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Physically the same car so no advantage on that front. CT additional ride height (not needed for most) and a gravel mode which I'm sure is a little gimmicky - who will soft road in expensive 21" alloys at the end of the day?

For me it's a cosmetic choice to have an ST over a CT. For those in America the choice is further limited to the GTS being available in ST format only and not the other variants (RWD, 4S, TURBO, TURBO S). Considered opinion suggests this is due to the poor sales of the Pana ST in US where cross overs are more popular. Tone will tell.
Agreed. As a current Pana ST owner (that I’ve had for 2.5 years), I have never seen another ST on the road.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag

For me it's a cosmetic choice to have an ST over a CT. For those in America the choice is further limited to the GTS being available in ST format only and not the other variants (RWD, 4S, TURBO, TURBO S). Considered opinion suggests this is due to the poor sales of the Pana ST in US where cross overs are more popular. Tone will tell.
I was thinking about starting a thread on the practicalities of gravel mode in the urban/suburban setting. I’ve been digging the gravel mode for navigating neighborhoods (including my own) that use excessive speed bumps and drainage dips - I can keep the speedo pegged at 30mph (the speed limit, for the record) and gravel mode soaks it all up without diving, scraping or hitting bump stops. It performs better than my Panamera ST which itself soaks up uneven roads quite well.

While the ST looks more elegant without plastic wheel arches, I would not want to give up any height from the CT.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

For me it's a cosmetic choice to have an ST over a CT. For those in America the choice is further limited to the GTS being available in ST and saloon format only and not the other variants (RWD, 4S, TURBO, TURBO S). Considered opinion suggests this is due to the poor sales of the Pana ST in US where cross overs are more popular. Time will tell.
I would possibly have had an ST if it was available to be fair but ordered in June 21 and on a roll for March delivery. Not unhappy at all given the CT 21 in wheels are so much better than the GTS offerings.

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I would possibly have had an ST if it was available to be fair but ordered in June 21 and on a roll for March delivery. Not unhappy at all given the CT 21 in wheels are so much better than the GTS offerings.
I don't think there are better wheels than the RS Spyder (heritage etc) ones on the GTS...oops, not available on the CT ?

FredG

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Hi everyone; I’m a current 22 CT 4 owner and I’m also a deposit holder for a new Sport Turismo.

My quandary is slightly different than what you guys are going through:

1 - I like the improvements of motors and other features of the ST trim. The CT 4 is not quick off the line and when I feel like doing a standing start it definitely leaves me wanting more, but, and that is a big but, I have done maybe 2 or 3 standing starts in the very first few days of having the car but have not done another one since. In the real world, When you are already moving and feel the need to send it, then the CT4 has more than enough power for me And is faster than 95 % of the cars around me. I have driven the Taycan Turbo S on the track and it is fast but I can’t seem to see the need to spend an extra $80k to $ 100k for an acceleration that I will rarely use.
2 - This is going to be against most people’s view but I actually love the look of the black arches on my storm trooper white CT4. I have the off-road pack in gloss black, black matte 21“ CT wheels, and black painted door handles and I love the look. In my humble opinion, the off-road pack makes the car look sportier.
With this said, as of now, not having seen in the flesh a Sport Turismo, I think I would actually miss having the black accents the CT4 has.

At this point my thinking is to keep my deposit on the Sport Turismo on the off chance that once I see it in person I love it more than the CT4, and if not, then I can decide if I upgrade to a Turbo or Turbo CT, or keep my ”slow” CT4.

Let’s be honest, We are all very lucky people to have such first world problems to worry about ;-)

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think there are better wheels than the RS Spyder (heritage etc) ones on the GTS...oops, not available on the CT ?
Not a huge fan of blacked out wheels. Spyder wheels are nice, nearly ticked the box on 992 Targa4S but they are an absolute pain to keep clean without PCCB. Suppose less of an issue if blacked out. Whatever, it’s all down to personal choice.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here’s another reason to go for the ST over the saloon: https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/porsche/...C81AC9108E2F9F05DB643378A50C&utm_medium=email the drivers seat can be raised an extra 9mm ? Oh and apparently the best range figure of the full line up at 309 miles.
The extra seat raising applies to CT too. It’s greater than the saloon on both. The electric architecture for Ct and ST ( Clarkson definition made me smile!) is identical model for model. Changes made to CT have not been reflected in the data as only the new ST has been categorised. CT data regarding performance relates to original spec. Check it out.
Sponsored