Sports Chrono or Rear Axle Steering?

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Without Chrono you don't have a true Porsche. "Sport Plus" should be called "Porsche mode" and the mode you should be using for daily driving. Period. End of story.

If you don't get Chrono, just know that every Taycan with it has much better performance than your car. There is no way to fake or add the performance that Sport Plus mode gives you. It adjusts the entire car to a sportier extent than Sport mode. Individual mode & the dial selector are just frosting, "Sport Plus" is the delicious cake.

Now, I'd also 100% get RAS and make cuts elsewhere. RAS is great. But RAS is (mostly) a quality of life improvement.

Every other option is just an option but speccing a Porsche without Chrono is silly and wrong. It 100% should be included on every car.

IMO if you can't afford a Taycan with Bose, Chrono, RAS, LCA.. you can't afford a Taycan. Those are just the "must have" 4 to truly experience the Taycan.
Hmm

I've seen people write this before, and I've never seen anyone state what special sauce Sport Plus mode gets you over Sport mode with Sport Plus chassis setting. What, exactly, is the difference?

It's not power, and compared to a gasoline car there's nothing to do with gear changes or exhaust.

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
I specced Sports chrono and the ugly wart on the dash irritates me. No doubt I will get used to it but it would be better if you could have SC without it. I don’t need an analogue chronometer thanks.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Actually, just configure My Screen to show drive mode to simplify. If you you want Sport Plus PASM then just touch the icon on the main instrument binnacle.

With the Chrono wheel you have to look down to figure out which way to turn it.

If that feels like too much just simply floor the gas pedal and you'll get the gear change and full power.

Chrono is an old analogue carryover which doesn't really sit well or logically in an EV Porsche.
Two turns right is where it all happens!

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Flip a coin you'll like whichever you get :)
I have both and really like both. RAS helps make the car more maneuverable - love how it turns. SC adds the dial on the steering wheel and Sports+ and I think Individual mode. I use Sports+ mode often and really enjoy it. It tightens suspension further (not sure if you can do that without sports+ mode), lowers the car (I'm guessing you can do this anyhow) and deploys the spoiler. The car really feels planted with sports+ on.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I use Sports+ mode often and really enjoy it. It tightens suspension further (not sure if you can do that without sports+ mode), lowers the car (I'm guessing you can do this anyhow) and deploys the spoiler. The car really feels planted with sports+ on.
You can lower the suspension and use the s+ setting for the suspension even without SC but you need the air suspension.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I'm not really interested in either option but RWS seems way more useful. I kind of like the "manettino" drive mode selector that you get w/ sport chrono but its not worth the price or the ugly wart that appears on the dash.

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
What he said..
Without Chrono you don't have a true Porsche. "Sport Plus" should be called "Porsche mode" and the mode you should be using for daily driving. Period. End of story.

If you don't get Chrono, just know that every Taycan with it has much better performance than your car. There is no way to fake or add the performance that Sport Plus mode gives you. It adjusts the entire car to a sportier extent than Sport mode. Individual mode & the dial selector are just frosting, "Sport Plus" is the delicious cake.

Now, I'd also 100% get RAS and make cuts elsewhere. RAS is great. But RAS is (mostly) a quality of life improvement.

Every other option is just an option but speccing a Porsche without Chrono is silly and wrong. It 100% should be included on every car.

IMO if you can't afford a Taycan with Bose, Chrono, RAS, LCA.. you can't afford a Taycan. Those are just the "must have" 4 to truly experience the Taycan.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I specced Sports chrono and the ugly wart on the dash irritates me. No doubt I will get used to it but it would be better if you could have SC without it. I don’t need an analogue chronometer thanks.
Wart or no wart has been an argument since Sport Chrono and the analog clock first became available (on the 997.1 Carrera in 2005, I think). Count me as a wart fan, even in an EV.

To the OP, if you absolutely can't afford both, I'd personally choose RAS but I think you'll be doing yourself a favor if you can figure out a way to include RAS and Sport Chrono in your spec

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I declined both options but, if I was to choose between the two, it would be Rear Axle Steering.

steen

First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E-class coupe
Country flag
there is another thread with some objective information. The RAS reduces the turning circle with about 7 %. This does not seem significant to me, and I would personally consider the 360degree camera as a better option for close parking, turning etc. Inside a city.

I don’t think the chrono pack add anything the car can’t do without the knob, so that is more a matter of easy access to drive modes and the iconic clock. However the ct might have the new gravel mode Bound to the knob.

if you have a really tight budget, I would probably not spec. Any of them.

GlasgowTaycanCT

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S ordered, LR Discovery, i8, Macan
Country flag
Rear Axle Steering reduces the turning circle from 11.2 metres to 10.4 metres. If you do alot of city driving and maneuvering, then that makes a big difference.

But we are missing the point because RAS also increases car dynamics in high speeds by turning in the same direction as the front wheels therefore improving cornering dynamics.

It depends on your driving style. There are many people who have bought the Taycan and drive it like a Prius. In that case, don't bother with any additional options to improve the car performance or dynamics.
Sponsored