Squeaking/squealing noise (outside of car)

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
2021 MY21 Taycan 4S with 1,600 miles on it. I’ve only had the car for about 1.5 months and have noticed that at low speeds I can hear a “squeaking” or “squealing” noise coming from outside of the car. It happens under acceleration and deceleration (even without hitting the brake pedal). It sounds like what a squeaking brake WOULD sound like, but again, happens during acceleration and deceleration with NO brakes being touched.

I’ve noticed it since getting the car but even moreso recently because the weather is nicer out and I’ve finally had my windows down! Happens between 1 and 15 mph for sure. Anything more than that and it is hard to tell because of the road noise, etc.

Note: it seems louder when in “sport plus” mode vs. “normal” mode (but I can hear it in “normal” mode as well)

Anyone else? Any ideas?
Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
That’s not the “safety sound”, is it?

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s not the “safety sound”, is it?
I would sure hope this isn’t the safety sound! It’s a high pitched squeal/squeak noise… not the “electric sound” the car makes to be street legal for pedestrians

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
2021 MY21 Taycan 4S with 1,600 miles on it. I’ve only had the car for about 1.5 months and have noticed that at low speeds I can hear a “squeaking” or “squealing” noise coming from outside of the car. It happens under acceleration and deceleration (even without hitting the brake pedal). It sounds like what a squeaking brake WOULD sound like, but again, happens during acceleration and deceleration with NO brakes being touched.

I’ve noticed it since getting the car but even moreso recently because the weather is nicer out and I’ve finally had my windows down! Happens between 1 and 15 mph for sure. Anything more than that and it is hard to tell because of the road noise, etc.

Note: it seems louder when in “sport plus” mode vs. “normal” mode (but I can hear it in “normal” mode as well)

Anyone else? Any ideas?
I have the same noise. It’s worse when I turn the wheel at low speeds

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the same noise. It’s worse when I turn the wheel at low speeds
Interesting… mine happens in a straight line (turning doesn’t seem to have an impact - but I will check that later when back at my car)

MBChicago

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S , 2021 Porsche Cayenne
Country flag
This is normal. It is your brake system. Panamera's have the same exact issue and dealers cannot do much about it.

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is normal. It is your brake system. Panamera's have the same exact issue and dealers cannot do much about it.
Even when not engaging the brakes (i.e. accelerating)?

MBChicago

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S , 2021 Porsche Cayenne
Country flag
Yep! Due to normal mechanical expansion from normal use (friction) of the brake and axel systems . The sounds range from low screeching, to soft squeal, soft scraping. However, it will eventually go away after a while.

If you take it into a dealership they will most likely clean off the rotors and check the pads.

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update here: had my car at the dealer and they said the noise is “normal”. Said it’s the motor, and it’s definitely louder when the recuperation is turned on. The noise happens when the motor is regenerating power, hence why my initial post said it sounded louder in sports plus mode (because it regens more when recuperation auto turns on in that mode).

All that said… the noise sucks. Anyone else get it figured out / is it fixable? It doesn’t sound “normal” to me.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not sure I buy the motor theory. I'd lean towards brakes if you don't have the PSCB package. I had this same issue with the Tesla Model S. The rotors and pads see very little use so they oxidize, especially after usage in wet weather. When driving (even when coasting or accelerating) the rotors and pads touch the rough oxidized surface just enough to make a noise. If indeed this is the cause, a very hard brake stop from high speed should burn it off (I mean very hard - you have to significantly exceed the considerable regen capability of the Taycan).

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure I buy the motor theory. I'd lean towards brakes if you don't have the PSCB package. I had this same issue with the Tesla Model S. The rotors and pads see very little use so they oxidize, especially after usage in wet weather. When driving (even when coasting or accelerating) the rotors and pads touch the rough oxidized surface just enough to make a noise. If indeed this is the cause, a very hard brake stop from high speed should burn it off (I mean very hard - you have to significantly exceed the considerable regen capability of the Taycan).
Did about 10 of those this morning… Noise still there unfortunately! Launch control until ~80, hard on break until stop. Still noise.

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bummer, well at least it was fun...
Hah - yeah… except for the noise, it was an enjoyable morning. Going to check with my other local dealership and see if their service techs can diagnose.

J-One

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-tron GT
Country flag
I have the same issue with my Audi e-tron GT (MY21, 3000km). Being built with mostly identical tech components.....apologize if I am offending any diehard Taycan fanatics...;) I suspect that the origin of the problem is the same as in your car.

Acceleration, regen braking and traditional braking produces the sound. Coasting (no throttle and no regen) = no sound.

Aggressive brake sessions - moving forward as well as backward - makes no difference.

No difference if driving straight or turning. Quite certain that it is electrical rather than mechanical (especially since the sound disappears when coasting with no regen). And to clarify, has nothing to do with sport sound or legal requirement low speed sounds.

Will have the car at the dealer in a few weeks and will update in case a solution is found.

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the same issue with my Audi e-tron GT (MY21, 3000km). Being built with mostly identical tech components.....apologize if I am offending any diehard Taycan fanatics...;) I suspect that the origin of the problem is the same as in your car.

Acceleration, regen braking and traditional braking produces the sound. Coasting (no throttle and no regen) = no sound.

Aggressive brake sessions - moving forward as well as backward - makes no difference.

No difference if driving straight or turning. Quite certain that it is electrical rather than mechanical (especially since the sound disappears when coasting with no regen). And to clarify, has nothing to do with sport sound or legal requirement low speed sounds.

Will have the car at the dealer in a few weeks and will update in case a solution is found.
YUP! Exactly the same here. Let us know what you hear and I will do the same once I bring it into the dealer and get it back. Likely next week
Sponsored