Standard Black vs Jet Black Metallic (any images of those next to each other?)

Chase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Greetings!

I've been lurking here for months before finally ordering my taycan and decided to finally register :) I'm at my last week of being able to change the configuration on my 4S and I'm really torn between the color choice. I've seen multiple photos, and to be honest I do not see much difference between black and jet black. I wouldn't be able to distinguish them, so is there someone maybe who has photos of those two next to each other to help me decide? Doesn't have to be taycans.
I've also looked at the forum and some people are saying standard black is the way, some say jet black metallic.. Anyone here with strong convincing skills who can push me in the right direction? :D FYI - I do plan to wrap the car to protect the paint, not sure if that affects anything.

Feel free to post more photos of your black/jet black, but please mention which one it is :D
Also if you regret the color feel free to comment as well!
Sponsored

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I tried to get some pictures for you of my Macan in the Jet Black Metallic but it's really hard to get the metallic to come through in the pictures. Basically it's a metallic fleck in the paint. I think it's a great color - but like any black, it's hard work keeping it looking good. I have front PPF and full ceramic coating.

Porsche Taycan Standard Black vs Jet Black Metallic (any images of those next to each other?) IMG_4764

Porsche Taycan Standard Black vs Jet Black Metallic (any images of those next to each other?) IMG_4758

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I am a black purist, so take what I say with a grain of salt. If you like metallic finishes, go with cherry metallic or gentian blue metallic -- they both look stunning. But for those of us who go black, the clear winner is black black, not metallic black. IMO the metallic black always looks a bit dusty, rather than sparkly like the cherry metallic and other lighter colors. Additionally, at least for black, I'd highly recommend ceramic coating and a little PPF (just on the front bumper to catch the occasional stone kicked up by the dump truck in front of you). The Porsche paint job is really amazing and almost a crime to laminate with a plastic film. (But that is a personal preference and I'd rather just touch up paint from time to time than drive around with a plastic condom on my car.)

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I had a black black 996, and will never get another non-metallic black car ever again.
I had Basalt black 991, and loved that color. Jet Black is better IMHO. Doestn't show dirt as bad, swirls, scratches etc. The pure black just doesn't do it for me. So much more depth and texture to the Jet Black for me.

chalkrwd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TAYCAN RWD
Country flag
Not sure about Porsche, but coming from BMW and Tesla, my BMW has black sapphire metallic and it does look a bit "dustier" than my solid black Model S. When they are next to each other, the Tesla looks darker. I wouldn't get the solid black again as it shows scratches way more than my metallic BMW. Metallic is going to be a tiny bit easier to maintain, but when the paint is perfect I believe the solid black looks better. I don't think I'm going to get another black car because of the amount of maintenance they take when properly maintained.

If I were to get black, I would go with metallic since you get a little bit more wiggle room than with a solid black IMO.

icedup51

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY22 and Abarth 595 Trofero:
Country flag
Greetings!

I've been lurking here for months before finally ordering my taycan and decided to finally register :) I'm at my last week of being able to change the configuration on my 4S and I'm really torn between the color choice. I've seen multiple photos, and to be honest I do not see much difference between black and jet black. I wouldn't be able to distinguish them, so is there someone maybe who has photos of those two next to each other to help me decide? Doesn't have to be taycans.
I've also looked at the forum and some people are saying standard black is the way, some say jet black metallic.. Anyone here with strong convincing skills who can push me in the right direction? :D FYI - I do plan to wrap the car to protect the paint, not sure if that affects anything.

Feel free to post more photos of your black/jet black, but please mention which one it is :D
Have had 3 black cars on the trot now, 2 metallic and the taycan non metallic black. The metallic were mercedes and agree always seemed to look a little dusty. Did deliberate with the Taycan for white, as a change but black got the edge. Have had Track pack PPF and cermamic, so we will see how it bears up with time to the swirls. Have attached some pics taken after the PPF was applied. Hope it helps?
Porsche Taycan Standard Black vs Jet Black Metallic (any images of those next to each other?) 20220426_160734
Porsche Taycan Standard Black vs Jet Black Metallic (any images of those next to each other?) IMG-20220411-WA0007
Porsche Taycan Standard Black vs Jet Black Metallic (any images of those next to each other?) IMG-20220411-WA0006
Porsche Taycan Standard Black vs Jet Black Metallic (any images of those next to each other?) IMG-20220411-WA0001
Porsche Taycan Standard Black vs Jet Black Metallic (any images of those next to each other?) IMG-20220411-WA0002

Chris H

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley GT3R, BMWi3s, LR Discovery, Pershing 52
Country flag
I’ve gone non metallic black, had it before on Porsches

A. I refuse to pay for metallic paint these days
B. It looks better when clean
c. Its a bastard to keep clean

aatothek

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E92 M3, S6 AVANT C7, Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
I’ve gone non metallic black, had it before on Porsches

A. I refuse to pay for metallic paint these days
B. It looks better when clean
c. Its a bastard to keep clean
B & C 😂🤣

OP
OP

Chase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have had 3 black cars on the trot now, 2 metallic and the taycan non metallic black. The metallic were mercedes and agree always seemed to look a little dusty. Did deliberate with the Taycan for white, as a change but black got the edge. Have had Track pack PPF and cermamic, so we will see how it bears up with time to the swirls. Have attached some pics taken after the PPF was applied. Hope it helps?
This looks gorgeous, thank you! Is it before the ceramic? Does yours get dirty fast as well or does PPF/ceramic help with car not getting as dirty, i.e thanks to it being hydrophobic?

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I like metallic better because the clear coat is a bit more protective and it is a bit more thicker for paint correction if needed.

icedup51

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY22 and Abarth 595 Trofero:
Country flag
This looks gorgeous, thank you! Is it before the ceramic? Does yours get dirty fast as well or does PPF/ceramic help with car not getting as dirty, i.e thanks to it being hydrophobic?
The PPF comes with ceramic coat on it. The dealership did the rest of the car. The photos are pre ceramics on the rear half. Yes it does seem to help, the car hasn't been cleaned for about 3 weeks and still looks good and we have had a lot of rain lately. Still a bugger to clean black but for my view worth it.

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag
I am a black purist, so take what I say with a grain of salt. If you like metallic finishes, go with cherry metallic or gentian blue metallic -- they both look stunning. But for those of us who go black, the clear winner is black black, not metallic black. IMO the metallic black always looks a bit dusty, rather than sparkly like the cherry metallic and other lighter colors. Additionally, at least for black, I'd highly recommend ceramic coating and a little PPF (just on the front bumper to catch the occasional stone kicked up by the dump truck in front of you). The Porsche paint job is really amazing and almost a crime to laminate with a plastic film. (But that is a personal preference and I'd rather just touch up paint from time to time than drive around with a plastic condom on my car.)
Couldn’t agree more having a pure black GT3 and jet black metallic Taycan made me hate the metallic!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Greetings!

I guess you’ll get all sorts of opinions here, not sure if that’ll help make a decision.

But as I see you’re in Poland… I wouldn’t get black. I had a Jet Black Cayenne and it was ALWAYS dirty and scratches in a moment. Not a color for this weather. Plus, with the metallic flakes, the paint color slightly differed on plastic parts vs. aluminum body panels in certain light and it drove me nuts. Never again.

But if it has to be black, I would get the non-metallic free option.
Sponsored