Standard Pano Roof or Variable Light Control Roof?

Cluon80

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz GLE
Country flag
Hi Friends,

I'd like to get your opinions on what you think of the new Variable Light Control Roof?

Personally, i think its awesome feature but unfortunately, i'm not able to order that as an option for my 4S in Korea yet. FYI - the pano roof is standard in Taycans in Korea.

Wondering if i should hold off the purchase until that option is available. Reason is i hear the standard pano roof doesn't prevent heat coming into the car that well and it doesn't block glare from the sun. I'm not sure how bad the impact is so would be good to know how the experience has been so far from current Taycan owners with pano roofs.

If i could get it with the VLC roof, then i'd go all in on the options to make the 4S my most enjoyable and comfortable ride for 7-8 yrs (battery warranty goes away). Else, i'd just lightly spec it so i can upgrade to the next one in a year or 2.
Sponsored

Last edited:

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live in sunny California and don't have any complaints about the standard pano roof.

With that said, if I had the option to get the Variable Light Control Roof, I would definitely get it. It would be nice to completely block out light and I think the feature is just really cool.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I'm not a big fan of pano roofs in general and ordered the aluminum roof instead. With the Taycan in particular, the lack of a sunshade to block out light from the sun, regardless of how effective the glass may or may not be at blocking heat, is a major drawback.

So, if it were me and for some reason a pano roof was mandated, I would absolutely want the Variable Light Control. Plus, as mentioned, it is pretty cool, ;)

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
Is the variable light control roof available anywhere right now? I thought it was going to be an option starting January 2022. I am hoping they have the option available before my freeze date :)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have read a number of posts on here discussing the pano roof - from people who live in hot, sunny places (not me.... I am in Manchester, England?) who say the pano roof is really good at blocking out the sun (heat and light).

Its the insulating properties that give it that weird red effect when it rains......so that's more or less constant for me.

Porsche Taycan Standard Pano Roof or Variable Light Control Roof? 20210814_172225

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm not a big fan of pano roofs in general and ordered the aluminum roof instead. With the Taycan in particular, the lack of a sunshade to block out light from the sun, regardless of how effective the glass may or may not be at blocking heat, is a major drawback.

So, if it were me and for some reason a pano roof was mandated, I would absolutely want the Variable Light Control. Plus, as mentioned, it is pretty cool, ;)
I think the Taycan sedan looks better with the aluminum roof—especially in light colors. But the pano roof looks better on the Taycan CT imo.

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
Anyone hear rumors regarding the VLC Pano roof being available as an option. I have an allocation at the dealer but waiting on that option to lock it in. I'm getting so antsy waiting to lock in my GTS ?

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag
Anyone hear rumors regarding the VLC Pano roof being available as an option
At least in Germany the new pano roof with sunshine control is available for the GTS sedan since this week.

Edit: Just checked the US configurator. It's available as well.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
3290 for the sedan on top of the premium package. Any insights into why it's not offered on the sport turismo yet?

My dealer let me know that the roof will only be available starting in April builds.

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
From what I can see from the videos the variable roof changes from clear to translucent - so I don't imagine there is much change in light transmission: not sure what 60% 'Matt' means - is that light reduction? or obscuration factor? - and it does not appear to be a heat transmittance enhancement - the standard pano is already heat-insulating

TBH I can't see the benefit except for more privacy form seagulls

Last edited:

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
I can't see the Panoramic roof for the Saloon or the ST on the UK Configurator yet?

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
At least in Germany the new pano roof with sunshine control is available for the GTS sedan since this week.

Edit: Just checked the US configurator. It's available as well.
Damn - not on the Canadian site yet - but also $3290 USD on top of the premium package.... not sure its worth it. Was thinking max $2k CAD.

gps217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I'm in Florida and my panoramic roof has been great. It sits far enough back that I don't have any issues or glare while driving and the interior does not seem to be any warmer.

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
Looking at the price of the VLC Roof on the German configurator (€5045), I suspect it’ll cost around £4k when it hits the UK configurator.
Sponsored