Standard parking option vs reverse camera vs 360 parking?

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
So, just ordered my 4s. It’s a company car so I have to pay for any options up front in full, and basically will never see anything back for them so have to be careful choosing.

Never had a car without reverse camera so struggling to work this through. Does anyone have the standard front and rear park sensors and is it any good? Any pics of the display or description of how it works would be appreciated.

Seen very mixed reviews on the 360 surround camera.

Do I go standard set up for free. £500 Ish for reverse camera or £1000 for 360 surround?

As I said I have to pay in full up, and get nothing back!
Sponsored

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Standard especially if you're paying in full. I've got reverse camera but rarely look at it.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Standard especially if you're paying in full. I've got reverse camera but rarely look at it.
Thanks. Im mentally struggling not having any cameras as used to them, but standard system makes sense financially. I will have the car for a 4 year contract so when considering the additional option costs I have to think also I’ll be using the car daily for 4 years.

What made you go for the reverse cam? Is the car difficult to park? Imagine limited rear view?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Thanks. Im mentally struggling not having any cameras as used to them, but standard system makes sense financially. I will have the car for a 4 year contract so when considering the additional option costs I have to think also I’ll be using the car daily for 4 years.

What made you go for the reverse cam? Is the car difficult to park? Imagine limited rear view?
The Taycan has limited visibility through the rear window. Even though the cameras are not the best, they are better than relying on the parking sensors. You will regret not spending the money on the camera the first time you try to back out or touch a wall with the bumper.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
The wide rear hips and low visibility makes the car not the easiest to park. I have gone for the surround camera, you can use individual cameras if you don't like the 3D composite, on my Audi I used the top down view to align with the white lines in my (somewhat narrow) parking garage.

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
I'm an old school driver used to using mirrors and line of sight and not even trusting parking sensors as they tend to freeze over in winter. But I'm sure glad that I got the 3D camera on the 4S as rearward visibility is very limited! I've grown to appreciate the surround view a lot!

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
The surround view on my car has just stopped working. Very annoying as I was moving the car into a very tight parking space to charge at work.

I'll post a photo later but the car and direction indicators are just on a white background. Anyone else had this?

I tried restarting the car but no improvement. I'll see if it spontaneously resolves later.

(edit: just moved the car and it's working again now. The car seemed get some pcm updates so maybe that was the cause)

Last edited:

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa, Taycan on order
Country flag
The surround view on my car has just stopped working. Very annoying as I was moving the car into a very tight parking space to charge at work.

I'll post a photo later but the car and direction indicators are just on a white background. Anyone else had this?

I tried restarting the car but no improvement. I'll see if it spontaneously resolves later.

(edit: just moved the car and it's working again now. The car seemed get some pcm updates so maybe that was the cause)
My surround view quit working briefly a few days ago. Of course I was in a ridiculously tight parking lot and trying to back around another car!. The screen didn't go blank, it just stayed on the map where I had it. Fortunately it has only done that once

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Originally I liked the concept of surround view cameras but the birds eye view deceives you into thinking it's from above, when really it obviously doesn't show anything above where the cameras are. Came close to hitting some things due to that. In addition, the hump on the side view mirrors for the camera is ugly. So did not spec that on the Taycan.

SYN_Skydance

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s and MG ZS EV
Country flag
The way I look at it is, whether you are having to pay for the optional extras yourself or adding them to a car you are buying, you won’t get our money back either way really. What you are spending your money on is what you will be using yourself, over the next four years.

I’ve opted for the £1k surround view camera. I have them in my XC90 and use them daily. I just hope the Porsche ones are just as good.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Just to update my decision on this I opted to spec the 360 surround in the end. Car should be with me early December so can’t comment on set up yet.

stevie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw
Country flag
So, just ordered my 4s. It’s a company car so I have to pay for any options up front in full, and basically will never see anything back for them so have to be careful choosing.

Never had a car without reverse camera so struggling to work this through. Does anyone have the standard front and rear park sensors and is it any good? Any pics of the display or description of how it works would be appreciated.

Seen very mixed reviews on the 360 surround camera.

Do I go standard set up for free. £500 Ish for reverse camera or £1000 for 360 surround?

As I said I have to pay in full up, and get nothing back!
Just wandered whether you went for the camera in the end and how useful it was - I am thinking going for standard rather than reverse camera as it was fine on previous cars - although as stated if the visibility is poor I am tempted to go for it

DQLAV

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - Renault Captur - BMW 535i F10 (prev.)
Country flag
Well, we don't have camera's since our previous cars didn't had them as well so I was not used to it. And (maybe because we never had them) I'm not missing them... When ordering I expected the visibility to be very bad but in practice it is quite OK. So I can recommend you not getting the camera's but hey, it's very personal so to be sure go make a testdrive in a car with and without them!

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Counterpoint: If you get the camera and don't want to use it, you can turn it off (disable auto-activation). If you don't get the camera, you can't turn it on later. I expect this to be an option better for resale value (if relevant) but not a show-stopper for a potential buyer.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Counterpoint: If you get the camera and don't want to use it, you can turn it off (disable auto-activation). If you don't get the camera, you can't turn it on later. I expect this to be an option better for resale value (if relevant) but not a show-stopper for a potential buyer.
I believe in the US reverse cameras are a mandatory regulatory requirement.
Sponsored