Standard tracker vs category 7 aftermarket

kingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera E-Hybrid, Taycan Turbo (ordered)
Country flag
My car should hopefully be ready for collection next week and my last dilemma seems to be the tracker. I have a good insurance price from Admiral and they do not specify which tracker you need so any will do. I really do not like the idea of remembering the fob each time I go to the car which is why the Cat 7 appeals.

Anyone used the Porsche fitted Cat 5 and is it a pain?
Sponsored

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My car should hopefully be ready for collection next week and my last dilemma seems to be the tracker. I have a good insurance price from Admiral and they do not specify which tracker you need so any will do. I really do not like the idea of remembering the fob each time I go to the car which is why the Cat 7 appeals.

the Porsche tracker is well integrated into the car including dash notification if you don’t have the drivers card. I would go with it to avoid additional installation cost wiring etc

but if you want to change it then it’s Metatrak s5 deadlock for me fitted by a reputable fitter

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
No its not a pain. I put the tracker fob in the inside pocket of my coat and forget about it. I like that the car reminds me if I forget it. £269 per annum.

OP
OP

kingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera E-Hybrid, Taycan Turbo (ordered)
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. I didn’t realise tracker was integrated into the car’s system, means I’ll probably stick with it then.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag

Funnily enough Admiral told me they did not care if the tracker was enabled or not. It made no difference as long as the car has the standard alarm setup. Even my Porsche dealer was surprised to hear this.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Standard tracker vs category 7 aftermarket 939DC263-1554-4EEC-89EA-06CBC4FE4FFB
i I think it depends in whether you have PVTS or PVTS+
The above is from the manual posted on the forum earlier in the year and would suggest that the standard system is operational without intervention.
I haven't lookedI to it yet and take delivery in 2 weeks, so no expedience yet, but my insurer who are part of LV= just specified having a tracker, not any specified type.
Perhaps actual owners in the UK could enlighten us?

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
All Taycan in the UK have pvts plus.

It is category 5. If an insurer asks for a tracker they tend to mean this category. Cat 5 trackers come fitted to all super car and high end cars by the manufacturer or importer

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
All Taycan in the UK have pvts plus.

It is category 5. If an insurer asks for a tracker they tend to mean this category. Cat 5 trackers come fitted to all super car and high end cars by the manufacturer or importer
But I assume it's only activated by paying the subscription? It's not included with the vehicle automatically?

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Is the "driver card" that you need to keep with you like a credit card, or something bulkier? The picture from the GTK guide above makes it appear almost like another key fob. I guess I'm asking - will it fit into a wallet like a credit card or it is more of a thing that goes on a keychain?

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Is the "driver card" that you need to keep with you like a credit card, or something bulkier? The picture from the GTK guide above makes it appear almost like another key fob. I guess I'm asking - will it fit into a wallet like a credit card or it is more of a thing that goes on a keychain?

It’s got a battery in it so will not be as thin as a credit card.

old seadog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Its just a bit smaller than the key, about 10mm shorter, bit thinner. I have purchased one of these from eBay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...rentrq:cb8544d31750a4d729b0faa5fff8b3c6|iid:1

Genuine Porsche Classic Red Tartan Leather Key Ring Pouch or Tracker Tag, seller is Porsche Edinburgh, there is a 20% price reduction this weekend, so £38.40. There are other colours available.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
It should be noted that keeping the fob attached to the key will reduce security in a number of scenarios.
Sponsored