Standard vs on board 22kw?

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, BMW i3s, X5, 540i
Country flag
I'm confused about the onboard 22kw real life usage. My understanding is that this requires 3phase and will save you a few hours of charging. Do you feel this is needed for a regular home charge? I plan to drive max 100km daily with longer trips that will use the high chargers (50kw and above). Do I need to order the extra 22kw for my home? I'm thinking I might never use it as the current system is 25A anyway.
Please help, I need to close this order soon!
Sponsored

loysha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS E-tron GT
Country flag
I'm confused about the onboard 22kw real life usage. My understanding is that this requires 3phase and will save you a few hours of charging. Do you feel this is needed for a regular home charge? I plan to drive max 100km daily with longer trips that will use the high chargers (50kw and above). Do I need to order the extra 22kw for my home? I'm thinking I might never use it as the current system is 25A anyway.
If you do not have 3 phases and 22 kW at home, then the basic 11 kW.

I have 3 phases and 50A at home, so 22 kW is a must for me :clap:

OP
OP
Mtljckt

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, BMW i3s, X5, 540i
Country flag
I do have 3 phases but only 25 A.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Don't waste your money. You don't need it for home charging. Single phase will give you 7.4kW for overnight home charging which is ideal.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
I think it is a regional answer... does your area/country have public 22 kW in use? Then it might be useful.

But at 100 km a day max and having a solid night to charge at home, then 11kW might be fine... I got it simply to have options!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Don't waste your money. You don't need it for home charging. Single phase will give you 7.4kW for overnight home charging which is ideal.
It will provide much faster DC charging when travelling especially with the rapid expansion of level 3 charging in 2021 and beyond. I ordered mine with it at the recommendation of Porsche.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It will provide much faster DC charging when travelling especially with the rapid expansion of level 3 charging in 2021 and beyond. I ordered mine with it at the recommendation of Porsche.
I think you are mixing things up. The optional 22 kW charger is for AC charging. There is an optional 150 kW charger for DC charging

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
If you plan to only drive 100 km per day, you do not need the optional 22 kW charger. There are many other options that are better value for money

However if you have a lot of 22 kW public chargers it might come in handy at times. In France there are so many chargers that have 22 kW, due to the popular Renault Zoe. It might come in handy when having a break for shopping or a lunch etc. Only to get you to the next HPC on your route.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I think you are mixing things up. The optional 22 kW charger is for AC charging. There is an optional 150 kW charger for DC charging
My bad - I did get the 150kW.

seskiyapan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Definitely get it . You would charge at AC stations faster and it adds a lot in terms of re-sale value . A lot of MY20 users are wishing they had the option to spec it when ordering. If you have the chance to do so , dont think for a second. You would get the extra cost for this option when re-selling your car couple years later.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Definitely get it . You would charge at AC stations faster and it adds a lot in terms of re-sale value . A lot of MY20 users are wishing they had the option to spec it when ordering. If you have the chance to do so , dont think for a second. You would get the extra cost for this option when re-selling your car couple years later.
Porsche have indicated that later this year a retrofit of the 22 kW charger for MY20 and MY21 users who did not choose it will be possible.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
DC charging? This a question on AC.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Do you have a link ?
I read that also - it may be part of the press release on the software updates. I'll try and find it unless someone gets there before me.

Seem to remember it can be a retro fit at the end of this year.
Sponsored