Stanford study warns against charging electric cars at home overnight

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A new study from Stanford University has found that the vast majority of electric vehicle (EV) owners are charging their cars at home in the evening or overnight, and this could be costing the electricity grid a significant amount. The study has recommended that the practice should change, with more EV owners charging their cars during the day at work or at public charging stations.
The study, which was published in the journal Nature Energy, examined the stress that the western United States’ electric grid will come under by 2035 from growing EV ownership.

https://www.thebrighterside.news/po...inst-charging-electric-cars-at-home-overnight
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
maybe their DEI people can fact check their study

TheSauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S
Country flag
If the law is that all new cars sold in Cali will be electric by 2035.....maybe improve charging infrastructure and increase grid capacity with renewables? 🤔
These shit for brains make policies based on their brainwashed political agendas without actual plans or thoughts about if it’s the right thing or if it is sustainable.

that goes for both sides of the aisle

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Reading the study, they say that they created long-term models of future electricity demand given various EV charging scenarios, and that - no surprise - when we all charge in 2035 matters. If all of us charge when there is the least available capacity, in the future when there are way more of us, we need a crap-ton of expensive new electricty generation and distribution, whereas if we charge during the day when all the Solar is humming along, we need very little.

The worst scenario requires a grid with 3.7 times more peak generation/transmission capacity than the best scenario - a truly enormous difference. So if we get smart about when we charge, as EV adoption grows, we can avoid spending hundreds of billions of dollars on power plants. And by "avoid spending" I mean avoiding higher power bills for everyone, because that's who gets to pay for new power plants in the end.

Seems logical, nicely forward looking, and a no-brainer policy move.

Quoting the article, not the actual study:
Currently, California has excess electricity during late mornings and early afternoons thanks mainly to its solar capacity.

The researchers suggest that if most EVs were charged during these times, then the cheap power would be used instead of being wasted. However, if most EVs continue to charge at night, then the state will need to build more generators, likely powered by natural gas, or invest in expensive energy storage on a large scale.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
These shit for brains make policies based on their brainwashed political agendas without actual plans or thoughts about if it’s the right thing or if it is sustainable.

that goes for both sides of the aisle
You forgot to say ‘…spending like a drunken sailor…’

Please. The 2035 goals are just that, goals. California has a history of setting stretch goals as a means of achieving measurable gains. It’s the only way to make any progress. The same dopey arguments were made about air pollution regulations in the 70’s and they turned out to be totally false.

TheSauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S
Country flag
You forgot to say ‘…spending like a drunken sailor…’

Please. The 2035 goals are just that, goals. California has a history of setting stretch goals as a means of achieving measurable gains. It’s the only way to make any progress. The same dopey arguments were made about air pollution regulations in the 70’s and they turned out to be totally false.
12 years until the banning of new ICE sales so welcome to the California rolling blackout electrical grid! Enjoy!

I hope I’m eating my words as you say in 12 years. I would love that!

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I can see it now -- if your rightmost license plate number is odd you can only charge on odd-numbered days smh ...

Won't affect me if I'm home and not doing a lot of daily driving. Here in sunny Arizona USA, my home's solar panels + inverter generate 7.6 kW between roughly 9 AM and 3 PM. So, I put my PMC+ at 50% and charge my 2022 RWD at 4.4 kW to raise the SOC by about 30% during those six hours. Works like a charm without any PMC+ overheating.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the grid needs updating with or with out EV's - and we need storage to capture excess renewables - none of this is bad - and none of this only benefits EV's - a better grid will improve everything and is required.

jrmuppet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Volvo XC60
Country flag
In MA there are no special rates for EVs or time of day. They could easily incentivize what they need with better rates.

For me, I usually charge at night. I’ll charge during the day once my solar is installed (June ish). So no drag on the grid from me.

atlaturne

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ISC and Taycan on order
Country flag
But isn't overall electricity usage much much lower overnight regardless of EV charging?
In MA there are no special rates for EVs or time of day. They could easily incentivize what they need with better rates.

For me, I usually charge at night. I’ll charge during the day once my solar is installed (June ish). So no drag on the grid from me.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Reading the study, they say that they created long-term models of future electricity demand given various EV charging scenarios, and that - no surprise - when we all charge in 2035 matters. If all of us charge when there is the least available capacity, in the future when there are way more of us, we need a crap-ton of expensive new electricty generation and distribution, whereas if we charge during the day when all the Solar is humming along, we need very little.

The worst scenario requires a grid with 3.7 times more peak generation/transmission capacity than the best scenario - a truly enormous difference. So if we get smart about when we charge, as EV adoption grows, we can avoid spending hundreds of billions of dollars on power plants. And by "avoid spending" I mean avoiding higher power bills for everyone, because that's who gets to pay for new power plants in the end.

Seems logical, nicely forward looking, and a no-brainer policy move.

Quoting the article, not the actual study:
Utilities have a wonderful tool to control this, time-of-day pricing. Last I checked, they are cranking up this tool to shift everyone's usage to overnight. Perhaps that will change in the future and the cheapest electricity will be during the day, and some people with cars plugged in during the day may even charge to full and sell back part of their charge at a profit at night.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
12 years until the banning of new ICE sales so welcome to the California rolling blackout electrical grid! Enjoy!

I hope I’m eating my words as you say in 12 years. I would love that!
What do you mean in 12 years? When did the rolling blackouts stop? Last I lived there (moved out circa 2002) scheduled rolling blackout were normal, happened almost every week, sometimes more than once a week.
Sponsored