Stay with MY21 or move to a MY22?

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I have a MY21 CT on order…delayed until “12/31.” I have the option to move to a MY22 allocation which will likely delay delivery several more months but I’ll get a “newer” CT and have the ability to reconfigure the car. Note: I do not urgently need a car right now.

I’m weighing several factors:

- loss of value: if I stick with the MY21 I’ll end up having a year old car although the MY22 is ~$3K more expensive
- potential discount: Porsche might give me a rebate bc of the delays (no guarantee) if I stick with MY21
- risk of further delays if I opt for MY22 (although no rush to get a car right now)
- potential loss of federal credit (issue with both MY21 and MY22 since both prob won’t arrive until 2022)

and, finally, if I move to the MY22, then I can RECONFIGURE my dream car (will def do some things differently if given the chance…might change the exterior and interior, plus some other cosmetic changes)

all Thoughts and advice welcome!
Sponsored

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I’d keep (and I kept) MY21 again.
About s month ago, I’ve been thinking to cancel my order (April 18) since delivery has been postopned 10 times.
My main reason was that I didn;t want to wait till Q2/2022.
Also, I wouldn’t make some changes in my setup (I’d definitely skip cross country plastic for 2k€), but overall, I’d take the same config as I’m having now.
I’m missing only ambient light for outside, but I can live without that….and every day, driving “Him”, I know that waiting was the right decision.

Before I forget: good luck with your decision. :fingerscrossed:
(Regards to Dallas, home of Mavericks and LD77 :like:)

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
I’m seeing a quite a few posts referring to the thought of a “potential discount“ for delayed orders yet with the exception of one poster (perhaps two) in Europe there is nothing to even remotely suggest that this is a path Porsche will follow. Again. It would be nice to get some sort of communication from the manufacturer addressing anything in regards to these delays and the resultant effect of finally getting a car that’s been stuck in production for months with a years worth of depreciation already built in.

Delays aside, if Porsche had chosen to simply convert our builds to MY22’s I doubt there would be such dissatisfaction with the current state of affairs

Last edited:

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
I have a MY21 CT on order…delayed until “12/31.” I have the option to move to a MY22 allocation which will likely delay delivery several more months but I’ll get a “newer” CT and have the ability to reconfigure the car. Note: I do not urgently need a car right now.

I’m weighing several factors:

- loss of value: if I stick with the MY21 I’ll end up having a year old car although the MY22 is ~$3K more expensive
- potential discount: Porsche might give me a rebate bc of the delays (no guarantee) if I stick with MY21
- risk of further delays if I opt for MY22 (although no rush to get a car right now)
- potential loss of federal credit (issue with both MY21 and MY22 since both prob won’t arrive until 2022)

and, finally, if I move to the MY22, then I can RECONFIGURE my dream car (will def do some things differently if given the chance…might change the exterior and interior, plus some other cosmetic changes)

all Thoughts and advice welcome!
Seems like an easy decision. Get the MY22. A few months difference won’t be remembered once you have the MY22. Also check that the difference for the same car with a decent amount of Options is $3k( some options changed) and if the same car is $3k more the difference in trade in value is 2-3 times that.

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Yeah from what you’ve written it seems going for the MY22 is the correct decision. Regardless of the wait time you mention being able to reconfigure the exterior and interior which are vital decisions, the flip side of that is potentially getting a car that you’ll always think is not exactly as you would want it.

I am in a similar ish situation, had a deposit down for 6 months but not yet pulled the trigger on what model/version I will eventually get. At times it’s been eating away at me waiting and waiting…but now I am quite contempt to wait it out. My current car does the job for now and in my head the longer I wait the more likely issues that scare me a bit like the software issues etc would have been resolved. I really want a Sport Turismo version…time will tell if that becomes a reality. Anyway, for me I may even wait it out to MY23, this will be my first Porsche which I have always dreamt about owning and want to make sure there is no compromise when I get it.

Good luck with your final choice, but as said since your not in a rush I would be patient and get exactly what you want.

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Thats a tough decision. Getting a MY21 car in 2022 doesn’t seem right, would probably go with MY22. I would probably upgrade to a faster model if I reconfigured my order now (which would cost me a lot), so I really hope my MY21 order will be on schedule to arrive this month.

OP
OP

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I’m seeing a quite a few posts referring to the thought of a “potential discount“ for delayed orders yet with the exception of one poster (perhaps two) in Europe there is nothing to even remotely suggest that this is a path Porsche will follow. Again. It would be nice to get some sort of communication from the manufacturer addressing anything in regards to these delays and the resultant effect of finally getting a car that’s been stuck in production for months with a years worth of depreciation already built in.

Delays aside, if Porsche had chosen to simply convert our builds to MY22’s I doubt there would be such dissatisfaction with the current state of affairs
the more I think about it, I think it’s unlikely Porsche corporate would give out discounts to those waiting. The supply chain delays are out of their control (everyone is dealing with it) and Porsche enthusiasts will wait for months for their cars. I also saw in the Macan message boards that folks are dealing w delays there too. Unlikely Porsche gives discounts to everyone waiting imho.

OP
OP

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Seems like an easy decision. Get the MY22. A few months difference won’t be remembered once you have the MY22. Also check that the difference for the same car with a decent amount of Options is $3k( some options changed) and if the same car is $3k more the difference in trade in value is 2-3 times that.
Good point. I know that the tech package is different. I’m getting ACC already so for another $2k I can get passenger display, HUD, and park assist. Reviews are mixed for these BUT the park assist ALSO adds some good safety features (side and rear warnings).

CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes AMG GTS Mercedes GLC300, Honda CRV
Country flag
I’d keep (and I kept) MY21 again.
About s month ago, I’ve been thinking to cancel my order (April 18) since delivery has been postopned 10 times.
My main reason was that I didn;t want to wait till Q2/2022.
Also, I wouldn’t make some changes in my setup (I’d definitely skip cross country plastic for 2k€), but overall, I’d take the same config as I’m having now.
I’m missing only ambient light for outside, but I can live without that….and every day, driving “Him”, I know that waiting was the right decision.

Before I forget: good luck with your decision. :fingerscrossed:
(Regards to Dallas, home of Mavericks and LD77 :like:)
Quick question, what's the color of your car? Frozen Berry? If so, do you like it? Haven't seen one in person. Thanks,

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Nope, it’s,not frozenberry, it’s coffe-biege.
(I posted few snapshoots in Coffe-biege club.)

Last edited:
OP
OP

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Yeah from what you’ve written it seems going for the MY22 is the correct decision. Regardless of the wait time you mention being able to reconfigure the exterior and interior which are vital decisions, the flip side of that is potentially getting a car that you’ll always think is not exactly as you would want it.

I am in a similar ish situation, had a deposit down for 6 months but not yet pulled the trigger on what model/version I will eventually get. At times it’s been eating away at me waiting and waiting…but now I am quite contempt to wait it out. My current car does the job for now and in my head the longer I wait the more likely issues that scare me a bit like the software issues etc would have been resolved. I really want a Sport Turismo version…time will tell if that becomes a reality. Anyway, for me I may even wait it out to MY23, this will be my first Porsche which I have always dreamt about owning and want to make sure there is no compromise when I get it.

Good luck with your final choice, but as said since your not in a rush I would be patient and get exactly what you want.
If I go with the MY22, I would keep the same exterior (Chalk), change interior to the cheaper Chalk/Black (from Truffle Brown), + roof rails, + heated steering wheel, + seat belts in chalk, + Tech Package.

The difference in cost is $5K for a newer model year + the add’l specs - club leather…oh yeah, and who knows when the MY22 will arrive!

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
I would recommend for my22. You will get a newer car which have much less problems and enjoy a few more months waiting time which is only full of nice expectations.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@dmattingly23 : have you seen/touch olea leather?
I'd bet a beer, that you'll regret if you'll take cheaper.
But that's just my $0.02 :angel:

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Depending on taxes you could buy both. In this market I would think you could flip the 21 CT with very little (if any) loss.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
If you get a discount, IN WRITING, then stick with the '21. Otherwise, wait.
Sponsored