Steering Column - Replace Manual With Electric

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
With the chip shortage, for those of you whose Taycan was delivered with a manual steering column when it should have been electric; have you been through the experience of the service appointment to retrofit the electric steering column? How big a job was it? Any issues of quality in the install to look out for?
Sponsored

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
...still waiting for the upgrade from manual to electric (early August delivery). Also awaiting second key.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
...still waiting for the upgrade from manual to electric (early August delivery). Also awaiting second key.
Does Porsche provide any kind of guaranteed dates, or is it like Tesla features, some day in the future, your lease may over by then?

amamoy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Macan GTS, Range Rover, Ariel Atom
Country flag
Still waiting as well. Was told by dealer that it would be communicated like a recall for the steering column……

No eta provided…..

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag
We get no ETA for steering column parts. They are auto allocated to us. Porsche prevents us from ordering them. I do place orders for the 2nd keys when the cars come in though. They mostly come pretty quick. But there's one for a Cayenne that I ordered back in July, and still waiting for it.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We get no ETA for steering column parts. They are auto allocated to us. Porsche prevents us from ordering them. I do place orders for the 2nd keys when the cars come in though. They mostly come pretty quick. But there's one for a Cayenne that I ordered back in July, and still waiting for it.
Interesting. Were you given the choice to take incomplete car (with a list of missing parts known up front) now with no guaranteed time of delivery of the remaining parts, or wait indefinitely? Did they maybe offer any incentive to take the car early, or is not having to wait incentive enough? ;) In theory, they are charging you money for things they have not yet delivered, and you might be paying interest of that money too. They should have at least thrown in some software options as compensation (e.g. InnoDrive or ALK if you already have the hardware, 3D surround, etc), even if those options were limited to only the time you spend without the complete hardware (heck, if you end up liking it you might pay for it, so additional money for Porsche).

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Interesting. Were you given the choice to take incomplete car (with a list of missing parts known up front) now with no guaranteed time of delivery of the remaining parts, or wait indefinitely? Did they maybe offer any incentive to take the car early, or is not having to wait incentive enough? ;) In theory, they are charging you money for things they have not yet delivered, and you might be paying interest of that money too. They should have at least thrown in some software options as compensation (e.g. InnoDrive or ALK if you already have the hardware, 3D surround, etc), even if those options were limited to only the time you spend without the complete hardware (heck, if you end up liking it you might pay for it, so additional money for Porsche).
No such generosity! They did warn me a few days before collecting however I was just pleased to finally get the car. No eta on the parts arriving....

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag
Honestly, we don't know if they will be missing parts, and what parts they are missing until they arrive at the dealership. We'll run the VIN and perform a pre delivery inspection. The VIN will tell us what parts are missing. I haven't taken delivery of my Taycan yet. Ordered first week of July, with an ETA of mid December.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Honestly, we don't know if they will be missing parts, and what parts they are missing until they arrive at the dealership. We'll run the VIN and perform a pre delivery inspection. The VIN will tell us what parts are missing. I haven't taken delivery of my Taycan yet. Ordered first week of July, with an ETA of mid December.
You'd think Porsche knows exactly what is missing when the car leaves the factory, because they planed it that way, as opposed to a worker on the factory floor making the decision on a car by car basis depending on what parts arrive or don't arrive at the factory that day, then never even write it down, assuming PDI will catch it. They really should communicate this to customers much earlier than at delivery time. I bet if the customer came to pick up their car and said that the pre-pickup-inspection of their bank account turned up a $10K shortage, Porsche would not just say "no problem, here is your car, pay us the rest whenever you fix your fund shortage". ;)

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag
You'd think Porsche knows exactly what is missing when the car leaves the factory, because they planed it that way, as opposed to a worker on the factory floor making the decision on a car by car basis depending on what parts arrive or don't arrive at the factory that day, then never even write it down, assuming PDI will catch it. They really should communicate this to customers much earlier than at delivery time. I bet if the customer came to pick up their car and said that the pre-pickup-inspection of their bank account turned up a $10K shortage, Porsche would not just say "no problem, here is your car, pay us the rest whenever you fix your fund shortage". ;)
I'm sure Porsche knows what parts are missing. But the dealership themselves do not until the vehicle arrives.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm sure Porsche knows what parts are missing. But the dealership themselves do not until the vehicle arrives.
My point was Porsche should be informing the dealership and perhaps also the customer (via track your dream for example, or a simple email). I don't know exactly when and how the dealer pays the factory, but if customer refuses the car because it's missing parts, does the dealer withhold the money from Porsche? I'm still awaiting an allocation, but if a car showed up without air suspension for example, I would refuse delivery.

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag
My point was Porsche should be informing the dealership and perhaps also the customer (via track your dream for example, or a simple email). I don't know exactly when and how the dealer pays the factory, but if customer refuses the car because it's missing parts, does the dealer withhold the money from Porsche? I'm still awaiting an allocation, but if a car showed up without air suspension for example, I would refuse delivery.
Yes I agree that PCNA should inform dealers and customers beforehand on what parts are possibly missing. And you wouldn't have to refuse delivery, since the cars will have a stop sale on them. Dealers can't release the vehicle to the customer until missing parts are installed. So you won't even get a chance to refuse delivery.

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
My dealer told me that they have one steering module at the shop they are using the setup the steering per driver size.
Once it is setup it is good for the driver A. the Steering column is motorized but only the driver module is missing. When the module will be available they will plug it in. No need to Replace the steering column. That sounds better that changing from a manual to motorized steering column which sound like a big job to be honest.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes I agree that PCNA should inform dealers and customers beforehand on what parts are possibly missing. And you wouldn't have to refuse delivery, since the cars will have a stop sale on them. Dealers can't release the vehicle to the customer until missing parts are installed. So you won't even get a chance to refuse delivery.
There must be two categories of parts missing, since a number of people reported picking up a car without electric steering column adjustment. Perhaps suspension adjustment would put a stop sale on the car, perhaps not (if for example they were temporarily fitted with non-air suspension instead, therefore not breaking any government safety requirements).

Reactions: B61

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer told me that they have one steering module at the shop they are using the setup the steering per driver size.
Once it is setup it is good for the driver A. the Steering column is motorized but only the driver module is missing. When the module will be available they will plug it in. No need to Replace the steering column. That sounds better that changing from a manual to motorized steering column which sound like a big job to be honest.
So does the wheel automatically move up and down when you exit, enter the vehicle? That is controlled by the PCM I presume, which obviously is not missing.

What you described is better for the retrofit, worse for having to drive to the dealer every time you want to adjust the steering wheel for an undetermined amount of time. If this was Tesla, they would have mobilized a tiger team of engineers to quickly code up a new screen for the PCM to adjust the steering wheel via software. If you could adjust the steering wheel from the computer screen, that is less convenient, but makes the feature mostly functional until the driver module arrives.

PS> I wish Porsche would make technical information available to customers. I bet you folks could make a temporary controller with a cheap raspberry pie if it was easy to find out what commands to send on what CAN bus.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61