Steering Wheel Leather Damage

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Dropped my car off for detailing this morning, and they pointed out some damage to my steering wheel (photo attached).

I think that these scrapes were caused by a zipper on a pair of shorts that I often wear.

There are multiple scrapes on the lower left quadrant. I use comfort entry but as we all know there's a bit of gymnastics to hoist oneself out of the car. I think this wee bastard of a zipper has been scraping on entry/exit when I wear those shorts.

Sharing this as a PSA for other careful owners - do consider how your clothing is interacting with your car.

Is anybody familiar with this sort of issue and whether the scuffing can be repaired? I could not justify replacing the entire steering wheel.

Photos of shorts burning ceremony to follow.

Porsche Taycan Steering Wheel Leather Damage TaycanCT4SteeringWheelDama
Sponsored

Benji_OOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan, '13 911, 01 911, e-tron, Tesla S75D
Country flag
I have been noticing the beginnings of this wear on my steering wheel. Now I power off the car manually before exiting which triggers the easy entry position(which is still not quite enough for my height). Previously I would just put the car in park and hit lock. Next time I'll be getting the RaceTex GT steering wheel to help avoid this.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Dropped my car off for detailing this morning, and they pointed out some damage to my steering wheel (photo attached).

I think that these scrapes were caused by a zipper on a pair of shorts that I often wear.

There are multiple scrapes on the lower left quadrant. I use comfort entry but as we all know there's a bit of gymnastics to hoist oneself out of the car. I think this wee bastard of a zipper has been scraping on entry/exit when I wear those shorts.

Sharing this as a PSA for other careful owners - do consider how your clothing is interacting with your car.

Is anybody familiar with this sort of issue and whether the scuffing can be repaired? I could not justify replacing the entire steering wheel.

Photos of shorts burning ceremony to follow.

TaycanCT4SteeringWheelDamage.jpeg
Easily repaired, had to do it on a couple of 992s I owned. Call an auto leather mobile repair company, your dealership will have one they use. Once done, you'll never know it was every damaged. I've also used a 3-1 leather cleaner and protectant (from Griots) to smooth it out and make is far less noticeable if you don't want to go through the repair.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Next time I'll be getting the RaceTex GT steering wheel to help avoid this.
It's still vulnerable to damage. It's not magic material

LeftCoastElectric

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
My zipper scrape is on the plastic of the B Pillar. I now make sure my zippers on my jacket pockets are zipped before I get into the car.
Sponsored