steering wheel vibrations and tire noise

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4S, ‘21 Defender 110
Country flag
first - i know there are some other posts on this but i think they may be different. This is my first porsche so not sure if this is just a thing.

i just got my 4S CT a few days ago (21" summer tires). Went for a longish ride today on fast, new roads (literally asphalt was still being laid).
  1. on the new pavement, i would here what sounded like faint whale songs. seemed to happen around 60-75ish mph
  2. i could feel every little bit of the road in the steering wheel. Not like corning feedback, just going dead straight i could feel the texture of the pavement in the steering wheel. on old asphalt this would vibrate enough to make my fingers start to tingle (being dramatic, but trying to describe it). Not shaking, no movement you could actually see, but you could definitely feel it.
curious if this is normal stuff.

edit - i was in "Normal" mode the entire time. didn't think to change modes or see how accelerating or braking would affect it. will try to reproduce.
Sponsored

Mathys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 X3 30e
Country flag
Which exact tires are fitted to your car?

OP
OP

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4S, ‘21 Defender 110
Country flag
Sorry not sure why i didn’t see this reply

They are 21” Pirelli P Zero

The app reports they are all 45 psi (+1)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
first - i know there are some other posts on this but i think they may be different. This is my first porsche so not sure if this is just a thing.

i just got my 4S CT a few days ago (21" summer tires). Went for a longish ride today on fast, new roads (literally asphalt was still being laid).
  1. on the new pavement, i would here what sounded like faint whale songs. seemed to happen around 60-75ish mph
  2. i could feel every little bit of the road in the steering wheel. Not like corning feedback, just going dead straight i could feel the texture of the pavement in the steering wheel. on old asphalt this would vibrate enough to make my fingers start to tingle (being dramatic, but trying to describe it). Not shaking, no movement you could actually see, but you could definitely feel it.

edit - i was in "Normal" mode the entire time. didn't think to change modes or see how accelerating or braking would affect it. will try to reproduce.
I'm tempted to say this is normal and part of the Porsche setup - feeling the road rather than be numb from it. 21" tyres and rims will feedback more due to the lack of rubber (tyre profile).

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
@Fletch

Have same car, tires and wheels and the recommended (full load) cold tire pressures are rear 45 but front 41 - I actually usually run about a couple of PSI lower and few PSI less if half load (x-check manual) - might want to adjust your front tires at least.

The other thought would be what was your prior (or still current altn) ride? Just curious as to what you are comparing against re noise/feel as this car is super quite in the cabin and any and all road noise most def amplified which takes time for your ears and senses to recalibrate to!

Last edited:

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

I can also feel that. Looks like it’s normal? I didn’t experience that with my previous bmw. Though I like this feedback more :)
Sponsored