wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Using less material is more efficient, cheaper, and less polluting than recycling. The US can save 100 million pounds of aluminum by not using front license plates and 25% less copper by using three-wire 240V circuits instead of four-wire 240V circuits.

There are 300 million registered cars and trucks in the US (most are cars). Each aluminum license plate weighs about 1/3 of a pound. Eliminate the front license plate and eliminate the need for 100 million pounds of aluminum (300M x 1/3). Photo speed traps take pictures of both license plates so there is no need for the front plate. Police usually approach the rear of a car and you normally see the rear of a car (or crook) escaping the scene of an event. And the license plate is flat plate drag on an electric vehicle, making the vehicle less efficient (ok, this part is small, but everything helps ).

Today, there are less than 2 million electric cars in the US but 30-50 million are expected by 2030. New car sales in Norway are over 50% electric. Some predict 50% electric new car sales in the US by 2025 (I do not). Bottom line, there will be a lot of home chargers added in the next two decades. Now is the time to stop using the Taycan default 4-wire NEMA 14-50 plug and switch to the 3-wire NEMA 6-50 plug. If the average installation is 20 feet, that is a billion wasted feet of #6-gauge wire (20' x 50 million installations) in the next decade or so.

The primary reason for recommending NEMA 14-50 connections is emergency charging at RV parks, but if your charger plug is a NEMA 6-50, it is a simple and code-safe adapter to convert a NEMA 14-50 receptacle (socket) to a NEMA 6-50 socket. Plus, the expansion underway to add rapid DC chargers will replace the need for emergency stops at RV parks.

In the US, NEMA 6-50 connections are a more efficient, less wasteful 240V connection. Modern electronic and electrical solutions do not need the 120V source provided by 14-50 connections - and no EV needs it. Most garage welders and compressors use 6-30 or 6-50 sockets in the US (often called welder sockets). Also, since 6-50 connections use one less wire, larger wire can be used in the same space, are normally more flexible, create less ground noise, and dissipate heat more easily.

Porsche, please stop making the NEMA 14-50 Input Cable a default. New installations should use NEMA 6-50 connections in the US. Let folks with NEMA 14-50 (or 14-30) sockets select their cable connection. And help save a few billion feet of wire that is not needed and help save millions of pounds of pounds of aluminum by supporting only rear license plates!

Thank you, Porsche, for your help and the amazingly addictive Taycan!
Sponsored

Drew Webb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 GT2, Tesla Model X, Maserati Quattroporte
Country flag
Bravo @wmras on both counts!alas may be an uphill battle on front plates with legal requirement in many states. I was disappointed to see the NEMA 6-50 cable option was eliminated as option in the 2021 configuration when putting my build together.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Bravo @wmras on both counts!alas may be an uphill battle on front plates with legal requirement in many states. I was disappointed to see the NEMA 6-50 cable option was eliminated as option in the 2021 configuration when putting my build together.
Really? Lots of reasons NOT to use a Front Plate (mostly aesthetics) and we are going to pick saving aluminum as our fulcrum?

Think of how much aluminum we could save if we drank less beer ...or less soda ...or stopped selling aluminum siding... License plates are typically issued only once in very many years... Some people (like me) even save them. Plus, aluminum is recyclable - put it in your recycle bin with your beer/soda cans! IMHO: "Saving aluminum" is a disingenuous argument to eliminate front plates...

Last edited:
OP
OP
wmras

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Really? Lots of reasons NOT to use a Front Plate (mostly aesthetics) and we are going to pick saving aluminum as our fulcrum?

Think of how much aluminum we could save if we drank less beer ...or less soda ...or stopped selling aluminum siding... License plates are typically issued only once in very many years... Some people (like me) even save them. Plus, aluminum is recyclable - put it in your recycle bin with your beer/soda cans! IMHO: "Saving aluminum" is a disingenuous argument to eliminate front plates...
Will dance to any tune to get rid of front plates. Destroys the looks of many beautiful cars, but that is not important to many politicians.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Will dance to any tune to get rid of front plates. Destroys the looks of many beautiful cars, but that is not important to many politicians.
I think we need to be honest about our motives. A lack of honesty is exactly what has gotten us to this point in the first place... We need to bring the respect back to honesty that it deserves.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
How can I swap my default 14-50 to 6-50? It’s a short wire I would imagine the price isn’t that bad to switch it out.

*edit* found it for $115 at suncoast
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/skuhybg2nema650.html

anyone know of a better deal? Maybe Audi version of it?
or you can get a NEMA 14-50 to 6-50 adapter for less money from Amazon.

the real savings here would be for all the residential installs to use 6-50 and save on the wire for pulling the neutral.

Porsche and most EV manufacturers went with NEMA 14-50 as the "default" for compatibility with plugs you'll encounter in the wild when traveling - but as pointed out you can have an 14-50 to 6-50 adapter for traveling

what you install in you home doesn't matter which for daily charging - for an EVSE they are functionality identical - 14-50 vs. 6-50 is a compatibility issue for when one is away from home.

kev0927

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Audi E-tron
Country flag
or you can get a NEMA 14-50 to 6-50 adapter for less money from Amazon.

the real savings here would be for all the residential installs to use 6-50 and save on the wire for pulling the neutral.

Porsche and most EV manufacturers went with NEMA 14-50 as the "default" for compatibility with plugs you'll encounter in the wild when traveling - but as pointed out you can have an 14-50 to 6-50 adapter for traveling

what you install in you home doesn't matter which for daily charging - for an EVSE they are functionality identical - 14-50 vs. 6-50 is a compatibility issue for when one is away from home.
unfortunately I’m stuck with Porsche mobile dock which doesn’t leave room for adapters.
(Stuck because the car off the lot had it)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
unfortunately I’m stuck with Porsche mobile dock which doesn’t leave room for adapters.
(Stuck because the car off the lot had it)
I have a porsche dock also

not sure why either of these would not fit?

6-50R (female plug) to 14-50P (male plug)
https://www.amazon.com/Couplago-6-AWG-14-50R-Adapter-Welding/dp/B088CT4DJ8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1A3VZ2B9QUAVF&dchild=1&keywords=nema+6-50+to+14-50+adapter&qid=1627969395&sprefix=nema+6-50+to+,aps,214&sr=8-5

14-50R (female plug) to 6-50P (mail plug)
https://www.amazon.com/Welder-Adapter-14-50P-6-50R-Outlet/dp/B08V16LRG7/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1A3VZ2B9QUAVF&dchild=1&keywords=nema+6-50+to+14-50+adapter&qid=1627969395&sprefix=nema+6-50+to+,aps,214&sr=8-8

and you just get one or the other for traveling - and go “native” for when the PMC+/PMCC in home and in the dock.

in any case I believe OP’s point - is that we could save a lot of materials if people were to install 6-50R for home installs (saving the need to install the 4 unused wire - thereby saving a LOT of wire on a national scale) - this would mean you order the 6-50P supply cable for home use from Porsche instead of the 14-50P - and if you wanted to use a 14-50R while traveling away from home the you carry one of the pig-tails listed above - or get the other porsche supply cable from porsche.
Sponsored