BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S, 1964 Porsche 356, 1973 Porsche
Country flag
Driving home from the Carson City Airport last night my practically new (170mi) Taycan 4S suddenly died. It put up an "Electrical System Failure, Park vehicle in a safe place" warning, lost all power, and then started to buck. I was on a narrow (no shoulder) 2-lane mountain road at the time. I managed to barely coast to a pull-out on the opposite side of the road, and waited an hour and a half for a tow. For the first hour of the wait the car was completely dead. Just before the tow truck arrived the error cleared and I was able to drive it up on the flat-bed when it arrived.

While I was waiting a friend with a code reader drove by and read the following codes: 23070, 44083, and 47038. Does anyone have a list of Taycan error codes?

Does anyone know what the issue is here? This was a really unsafe incident. If I hadn't been able to make the pull-out and had to just park in the right half of the travel lane, it is quite likely that the car would have been rear-ended during the 90-minute wait for a tow.

I am very disappointed in the lack of quality in this vehicle.

Porsche Taycan Stranded by "Electrical System Failure" IMG_8081
Sponsored

Pie3

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porshe
Country flag
This happened to me in a target parking lot. I turned the car off, went inside to get a hot chocolate and it was good to go after I came back. I drove it back home (170 miles) with no issue. I called Porsche to have it serviced and their explanation went over my head to be honest. But essentially there was no major issue. I have not had the issue since Porsche looked at it.

notsofast

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, 2005 Cayenne Turbo, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Driving home from the Carson City Airport last night my practically new (170mi) Taycan 4S suddenly died. It put up an "Electrical System Failure, Park vehicle in a safe place" warning, lost all power, and then started to buck. I was on a narrow (no shoulder) 2-lane mountain road at the time.
Ouch, that road is not a great place for an electrical system fault. Glad this worked out OK and sorry the car is giving you trouble.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Driving home from the Carson City Airport last night my practically new (170mi) Taycan 4S suddenly died. It put up an "Electrical System Failure, Park vehicle in a safe place" warning, lost all power, and then started to buck. I was on a narrow (no shoulder) 2-lane mountain road at the time. I managed to barely coast to a pull-out on the opposite side of the road, and waited an hour and a half for a tow. For the first hour of the wait the car was completely dead. Just before the tow truck arrived the error cleared and I was able to drive it up on the flat-bed when it arrived.

While I was waiting a friend with a code reader drove by and read the following codes: 23070, 44083, and 47038. Does anyone have a list of Taycan error codes?

Does anyone know what the issue is here? This was a really unsafe incident. If I hadn't been able to make the pull-out and had to just park in the right half of the travel lane, it is quite likely that the car would have been rear-ended during the 90-minute wait for a tow.

I am very disappointed in the lack of quality in this vehicle.

IMG_8081.jpg
Don't know if you were going up the Mt. Rose Highway but if so - no bueno indeed... I know that the big SW update we had to go through last year was supposed to address issues like this one... will be interesting to find out what your issue is.. assuming you are having Porsche Reno look into this?

OP
OP

BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don't know if you were going up the Mt. Rose Highway but if so - no bueno indeed... I know that the big SW update we had to go through last year was supposed to address issues like this one... will be interesting to find out what your issue is.. assuming you are having Porsche Reno look into this?
Breakdown was on NV 28 near Skunk Harbor. Better than NV 431, but not much.

Car is at Porsche Reno. I'm waiting to hear back from them. I really don't want to here that "everything is fine" because that means they didn't fix anything and it's likely to happen again.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag

Car is at Porsche Reno. I'm waiting to hear back from them. I really don't want to here that "everything is fine" because that means they didn't fix anything and it's likely to happen again.
Hope you get more than 'everything is fine' because clearly it is not.. I spend quite a bit of time in Tahoe have never used Porsche Reno so don't have an opinion on that dealership - hope they are competent... did they get you a loaner?

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag

Please do report it to NHTSA if you hear "everything is fine". Else if you do hear the cause and the fix please report it here on the forum.

OP
OP

BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hope you get more than 'everything is fine' because clearly it is not.. I spend quite a bit of time in Tahoe have never used Porsche Reno so don't have an opinion on that dealership - hope they are competent... did they get you a loaner?
They have not offered me a loaner. Lets see how long they plan to keep the car.

OP
OP

BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They have not offered me a loaner. Lets see how long they plan to keep the car.
I called the dealer today to inquire about progress and found they haven't even looked at my car yet. I'm very disappointed with Porsche Reno.

OP
OP

BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I talked to the service manager today. They think the problem was a cooling failure. Apparently my coolant was low (they delivered the car this way) and there was air in the system, so the electronics overheated and shut down. I get the car back Friday. Hopefully I will never see this problem again.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I talked to the service manager today. They think the problem was a cooling failure. Apparently my coolant was low (they delivered the car this way) and there was air in the system, so the electronics overheated and shut down. I get the car back Friday. Hopefully I will never see this problem again.
Did you report this problem to the NHTSA? That's just baffling how the car could be delivered low on coolant.

OP
OP

BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today the service manager called me to tell me the car isn't fixed. The problem occurred on their test drive. So, its not as simple as low coolant. They suspect I will need a new battery - or to have the battery repaired. In the meantime they are giving me a loaner (but not a Taycan).
Sponsored