EvFamily

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, dodge Ram
Country flag
I’m having the same issue. The weather recently got a bit chilly in the morning and that’s when my started. It’s definitely the fan behind the climate screen. I will try the compressed air. Another solution that does seem to work right now is preheating the car in the mornings. It seems to happen only when it’s cold out, like 50 degrees and below. I have an appt end of next month for a recall so I’ll have them fix it then. Hoping it doesn’t get louder.
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I’m having the same issue. The weather recently got a bit chilly in the morning and that’s when my started. It’s definitely the fan behind the climate screen. I will try the compressed air. Another solution that does seem to work right now is preheating the car in the mornings. It seems to happen only when it’s cold out, like 50 degrees and below. I have an appt end of next month for a recall so I’ll have them fix it then. Hoping it doesn’t get louder.
Is it consistent every cold morning or more random? Mine appears to be quite random but agree more likely on cold startup than anything else.

EvFamily

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, dodge Ram
Country flag
Is it consistent every cold morning or more random? Mine appears to be quite random but agree more likely on cold startup than anything else.
It’s pretty consistent on the cold mornings bc by mid day/end of day it’s like 70-80 degrees out and it never makes the sound then.

Taycanist

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Sounds like we have the same issue. Has your dealership fixed the issue? they replace the AC compress and the mount. but it still makes a rumbling noise.
Not sure this is relevant but here goes ... I started hearing a growling sound behind the dash soon after taking delivery in June 2022 (my RWD was built in April 2022). The sound from my Taycan is different than yours, however.

The sound didn't stop when I turned off the seat ventilation, but it did stop when I turned off the A/C. The dealership looked at it and said it's an expansion valve failure. They ordered a new part (# 9A7-816-682-00) for replacement.

Good luck!

[/QUO

OP
OP

NJ-Taycan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Just got my car back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the entire climate control panel. It was cold this morning. While I heard a very slight ticking, it was barely noticeable and lasted for less than 30 seconds. I will monitor for a few more days and report back again. This may be the best I can hope for.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Sounds like we have the same issue. Has your dealership fixed the issue? they replace the AC compress and the mount. but it still makes a rumbling noise.
Hmm... hope it goes away. I'm taking mine in on December 7.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmm... hope it goes away. I'm taking mine in on December 7.
We're away all Dec but I've scheduled a dealership visit for Jan 9.

Probably worth sharing this thread with your SA - I have and also provided him 3 videos with the sound on cold start up spaced over last 4 weeks, just to demonstrate and have a record as a repeatable issue with the dealership.

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have the same problem just started and I feel it happens more when the car is cold.
Thanks OP for updating on this. I will have to find a solution, it's annoying!

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Not sure this is relevant but here goes ... I started hearing a growling sound behind the dash soon after taking delivery in June 2022 (my RWD was built in April 2022). The sound from my Taycan is different than yours, however.
The sound didn't stop when I turned off the seat ventilation, but it did stop when I turned off the A/C. The dealership looked at it and said it's an expansion valve failure. They ordered a new part (# 9A7-816-682-00) for replacement.

Good luck!
It's fixed! It took a lot of effort to repair. My 2022 RWD was in the shop for two weeks to replace the expansion valve, and I got a Cayenne for a loaner. The effort is summarized below:
Porsche Taycan Strange fan/ticking noise during morning power-up 1672193307567

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well after a lot of back and forth a tech finally heard the fan noise at the dealership (despite living with it for over 2 months end of last year and before we set off out of the country for December, when I returned the bloody noise decided to stop right before the scheduled service visit - of course!).

Was quite frustrating getting the service guys to accept there was an issue despite again having shared three videos of this noise that very clearly indicated the origin but of course as we know, if it doesn't happen at the dealership it 'never' happened, right (which to some degree is actually fair)! Glad now it is finally recognized.

SA said they have ordered a replacement part but on back order so possibly a couple of months(!!) before receiving it stateside. So, whilst documented, TBH not clear to me yet if indeed a mechanical issue solely with the fan under the console and/or other related issues - we'll see when the part arrives later this year I guess.

Mr Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S (going), Taycan RWD (incoming)
Country flag
Just got my car back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the entire climate control panel. It was cold this morning. While I heard a very slight ticking, it was barely noticeable and lasted for less than 30 seconds. I will monitor for a few more days and report back again. This may be the best I can hope for.
During the coldest days the rattling fan noise in my car even drowned out the radio. When the car got a 30K service, the dealer informed me they replaced the entire control panel unit. So it seems that an easy fix for this issue is not available..

EJM22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
It's fixed! It took a lot of effort to repair. My 2022 RWD was in the shop for two weeks to replace the expansion valve, and I got a Cayenne for a loaner. The effort is summarized below:
1672193307567.png
Did the sound ever come back? Yours sound similar to mine. Took to dealer and they had to remove windshield, dash, center console to replace air distribution housing but the noise is still there same day I got car back. So wondering if your noise came back?

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Mine went away after they replaced the heater

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Did the sound ever come back? Yours sound similar to mine. Took to dealer and they had to remove windshield, dash, center console to replace air distribution housing but the noise is still there same day I got car back. So wondering if your noise came back?
Yes, unfortunately - all was quiet when I started using the A/C in March 2023, but the sound was back next month. :headbang:

Your timing is impeccable, @EJM22 . Last night I saw a recent thread from @Tooney (link) that hopefully has the solution: it could be that some A/C components are not securely mounted. I'm going to share this with my Porsche dealership and get in line for repairs. Good luck with getting yours fixed!

EJM22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Yes, unfortunately - all was quiet when I started using the A/C in March 2023, but the sound was back next month. :headbang:

Your timing is impeccable, @EJM22 . Last night I saw a recent thread from @Tooney (link) that hopefully has the solution: it could be that some A/C components are not securely mounted. I'm going to share this with my Porsche dealership and get in line for repairs. Good luck with getting yours fixed!
Thanks for the update! I’ll have to update the tech bc I thought ur fix worked. I did mention a fix about brackets on the compressor. I’ll take it back in on Tue.
Sponsored