First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Dear all,

I have recently noviced, that my MY2021 4S has a quite different sound from either the motor or gearbox when doing a shift from normal to sport. It’s like a resonating sound, or maybe a mechanical humming sound - quite hard to explain. It’s not like the sport sound, it’s more mechanical, but it is quite noticable, and it’s when doing 70-80 km/h..

Have anybody experienced something like this, and maybe know what it is?
Sponsored

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Dear all,

I have recently noviced, that my MY2021 4S has a quite different sound from either the motor or gearbox when doing a shift from normal to sport. It’s like a resonating sound, or maybe a mechanical humming sound - quite hard to explain. It’s not like the sport sound, it’s more mechanical, but it is quite noticable, and it’s when doing 70-80 km/h..

If it's at a lower pitch than most of the other drive sounds, it could be the sound of a difference tone between the front and rear drives (sometimes called the "beat-frequency tone"). This is a phenomenon that happens because the two source tones have mutually additive effects while the peaks are in-phase with each other, and then cancelling effects while the peaks are out-of-phase. The transitioning from in-phase to out-of-phase states thus creates a third tone at a frequency that is the difference between the two original tones. The closer the frequencies of the source tones are, the lower the third tone will be.

Last edited:

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Dear all,

JohnDolk, did you ever find a solution for this sound/noise?

OP
OP
MrJohnDolk

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
JohnDolk, did you ever find a solution for this sound/noise?
No, i didn’t..

Also i notice a lower more noticably humm when doing 100-120 km/t and then shift from normal to range mode.. i dont know if that is because the rear motor is disconnected and just rolling along..

did you also experience that sound?

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
No, i didn’t..

Also i notice a lower more noticably humm when doing 100-120 km/t and then shift from normal to range mode.. i dont know if that is because the rear motor is disconnected and just rolling along..

did you also experience that sound?
No, but was thinking to take a trip to the dealer and ask them to look at it. I think its normal, but i dont want to be stranded somewhere either.

My humming starts in 1 gear at 78km/h and dissapears at 90 or when switching to second. As you said, range mode opens the clutches in the rear transmission and runs on the front motor(as long as you dont brake, rear engine is used for breaking in range mode, or asks for more power then front engine can supply)

OP
OP
MrJohnDolk

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
No, but was thinking to take a trip to the dealer and ask them to look at it. I think its normal, but i dont want to be stranded somewhere either.

My humming starts in 1 gear at 78km/h and dissapears at 90 or when switching to second. As you said, range mode opens the clutches in the rear transmission and runs on the front motor(as long as you dont brake, rear engine is used for breaking in range mode, or asks for more power then front engine can supply)
ok - would be pleased if you would share your info after visiting the dealer with this problem :)

Just to be clear - do you also experience the humming sound when shifting from normal to range?

Maybe the dealer also can clarify this?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
same here. most annoying speed ranges are 70-80 and ~125 kph. First gear is even worse.
See also my video and sound samples in the linked thread(s).
I still have to convince the dealers/Porsche that this sound is not state of the art/stock. It really seem to depend, there seems to be a range of variation of that noise in most cars and those guys that always drive with Porsche-Sound on will never notice it.
Sponsored